• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

I received an email announcement of another Meet and Greet/fundraiser for GOP Clarksville candidates in the coming election.

Here are the details:

Where:  Sam's Montrose

318 W. Lewis and Clark Pkwy.

When:   Thursday, Feb 26, 2015

7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Questions:  812 697-5093

The email I received stated that there is no obligation, no admission charge, nobody will try to sell you anything, nobody will ask you to donate.  This is intended to be an opportunity for the public and town employees to meet the candidates and ask them questions in an informal, relaxed atmosphere with no pressure.

Tom's comments: This appears to be an excellent chance to mingle with some (or perhaps all) of the people who will take over Clarksville's elected offices in 2016. Size them up, ask questions, debate, or just get to know more about them and their platform. I know I intend to be there.

• kelley likes this

#2 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Are Democrats welcome??/

#3 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

The SleepMeister asked:
"Are Democrats welcome??/"
Uh, Sleepy, Dude, Mr. TomD clearly posted:
"It is a "Meet and Greet/fundraiser for GOP Clarksville candidates."

I would say that citizen-taxpayer-voters whom might be a little Democrat would be OK,

but the Democrat Candidates would be in Very Poor Taste to attempt  to crash the reception and bogart.

Certainly your Democrat candidate friend about whom you speak so highly,

who is running would never attempt to be a G a t e   C r a s h e r......
would he......?

:no:

Edited by Savile Row, 23 February 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Wow..SR way off base.

My question has no reference to anyone.

I know a lot of people who vote a split ticket

and like to attend GOP and Dem functions.

I know the flyer was delivered in Clarksville and dropped on 

doorsteps, not just REP doorsteps.  

So I believe the question is fair.   If you have a question for a candidate

who is running CALL them.  They list numbers when they file.

Hope this helps SR.   

#5 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Do we have a local League of Women Voters, or any other such orgainzation that will host a forum inviting ALL candidates? I had discussed this before in another thread and would simply like all candidates in one place, willing to answer questions, and not under any employment threat from the present regime. I see what I believe are some excellent candidates, and some I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. But, still, I want to hear their ideas about the town, town departments, fair voiting, and town debt. It need not let everyone on up on the speaking stump. Set up a table for each candidate and let the folks roam from table to table to talk.

I'd hate to see only party specific meet and greets.

• Sleepy likes this

#6 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

'greyarea'....Town debt?

Good question.

Gulp...

It has been reported to  be....Ninety-one Million dollars....

$91.000,000 !

Edited by Savile Row, 23 February 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#7 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

I was told that all are welcome...Dems, Pubs, Independents, Tea Party, Libertarians, or whatever.  I'm certain that once we are past the primary, there will be more meet and greets at which all nominees from all parties will be invited.  However, in the primary you only get to vote for one party...no split tickets.  A split ticket is permitted in the general election in November.  So if you think you might want to vote a Republican ballot in the primary, of if you just want to get a head start on becoming familiar with the GOP candidates, this might be a good function for you to attend.

There was a contact phone number on the announcement...812 697-5093.  Perhaps any questions should be addressed by calling the number?

I agree with Savile Row that it would probably not be in the best of taste for a non-Republican candidate to attend, but I doubt they would be turned away. 

The thing I like best?  No admission charge and free food.  Hard to beat that combination.

Edited by TomD, 23 February 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#8 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

Come on TomD you know better.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Or so I have been told.

#9 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

Peace, Grayarea,

Do we have a local League of Women Voters, or any other such orgainzation that will host a forum inviting ALL candidates? I had discussed this before in another thread and would simply like all candidates in one place, willing to answer questions, and not under any employment threat from the present regime. I see what I believe are some excellent candidates, and some I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. But, still, I want to hear their ideas about the town, town departments, fair voiting, and town debt. It need not let everyone on up on the speaking stump. Set up a table for each candidate and let the folks roam from table to table to talk.

I'd hate to see only party specific meet and greets.

Yes, there is a local LoWV group.  They discussed have a forum for candidates at their January meeting.  They can't easily have a debate, due to their national organization's rules, but they are working to organize some sort of meet the candidates event.

#10 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Mr. Mcclure,

I am not interested in an old fashion debate. I assume, due to our supposedly being a "town", that it would be a heck of a lot easier and informative to simply bring everyone in to one place. Each candidate has a table, a couple of chairs, and can hand out his/her campaign materials while discussing the issues through questions asked directly by the constituents at their table. The constituents get answers directly from the candidates. Give it a couple of hours to allow people to wonder through the candidates. Anyone that gets unruly, gets shown the door.

Think about it. The candidates get to answer as to the questions the constituents feel to be important. The voters get informed and can say why on forums such as ours. If a candidate believes he was misunderstood, he then can come onto the forum and address what he meant. If so, there's no flip flopping on the issues such as occured last election that has resulted in a lot of head scratching.

If the LoWV can pull something like that off, then awesome. If not, then a couple of Republicans and a couple of Democrats from some highly intelligent source of information (i.e. that would be us folks on chatter...well, hopefully, some of us :hyper: ) should put it together. All candidates should be invited so that it could be in one place that would, hopefully, donate their facility for the evening. Then, just open the doors and let the people come and get informed.

As I've said before, I cannot imagine a candidate not wanting to participate. I wouldn't want any other person speaking "on behalf of" a candidate. I want credibility. If the candidate himself, cannot show, then he has no table and there should be a board near the entrance saying who refused to attend. I would not be interested in why a person could not attend...unless it was truly life or death to himself or a family member. Not appearing would go a long way in determining my vote and who I would recommend to others.

Just my two cents...

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#11 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:31 AM

I am not interested in an old fashion debate. I assume, due to our supposedly being a "town", that it would be a heck of a lot easier and informative to simply bring everyone in to one place. Each candidate has a table, a couple of chairs, and can hand out his/her campaign materials while discussing the issues through questions asked directly by the constituents at their table. The constituents get answers directly from the candidates. Give it a couple of hours to allow people to wonder through the candidates. Anyone that gets unruly, gets shown the door.

Think about it. The candidates get to answer as to the questions the constituents feel to be important. The voters get informed and can say why on forums such as ours. If a candidate believes he was misunderstood, he then can come onto the forum and address what he meant. If so, there's no flip flopping on the issues such as occured last election that has resulted in a lot of head scratching.

Guess what?  I called the phone number on the announcement to get answers for some questions.

I was told the format for this meet and greet will be almost exactly as you have described here, Grayarea.

Here is what I was told:  After some brief remarks and introductions, candidates will spread out around the venue and meet/talk with any constituents who wish to engage.  I assume this would mean that one-on-one questions and comments would be the order of the day.

As I said in my original post, this appears to be a good opportunity for constituents (and town employees) to size them up, ask questions, debate, or just get to know more about them and their platform. 

IMO, a meet and greet such as this is much better than each individual candidate having his/her own meet and greet/campaign kickoff...you get access to all the GOP candidates at one meeting/one location. 

Edited by TomD, 25 February 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#12 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

I agree with Savile Row that it would probably not be in the best of taste for a non-Republican candidate to attend, but I doubt they would be turned away. 

Oops...looks like I was wrong about this.  I received a phone call from one of the people who organized this event, and they said that any non-GOP candidates for town offices that showed up would be asked politely to leave.  He did not say what would happen if they declined.

#13 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Get the popcorn.

#14 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Get the popcorn.

:laugh: Sleepy, I would not expect any drama.  Most, if not all, of the candidates on both sides of the aisle are reasonable people who understand the unwritten rules. 

#15 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

I would sure hope so.  

Lots of the candidates have held office before

and I am sure they know the deal.  Sometimes you 

see surprises from first time candidates.  Time

will tell.

Edited by Sleepy, 26 February 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#16 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

I would sure hope so.  

Lots of the candidates have held office before

and I am sure they know the deal.  Sometimes you 

see surprises from first time candidates.  Time

will tell.

Sleepy...as an experienced candidate, I know your 'friend' won't attend.  But will you? 

If so, please introduce yourself...I'll be the old geezer with the dazed look.

#17 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

What I am having trouble comprehending is why the Democrats (of which, I am one) have not proposed a similar meet-n-greet?

• Sleepy likes this

#18 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:04 AM

What I am having trouble comprehending is why the Democrats (of which, I am one) have not proposed a similar meet-n-greet?

I think the Dems will eventually have one.  In the past it's been called 'the pig roast', cost $10.00 per person to attend, and attendees/town employees were pressured to donate when they got there.   

#19 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

TomD

Times are a changing I think you will see a much different approach 

from the new Dem Candidates.  Tonight is not a fundraiser according to you,

so I would not compare to old DEM fundraisers.  

Remember no such thing a s a Free Lunch.

#20 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

TomD

Times are a changing I think you will see a much different approach 

from the new Dem Candidates.  Tonight is not a fundraiser according to you,

so I would not compare to old DEM fundraisers.  

Remember no such thing a s a Free Lunch.

If you will read my original post, the first thing I did is call it a meet and greet/fundraiser.  So your statement that "Tonight is not a fundraiser according to you" is wrong. 

The difference is that contributions are voluntary as opposed to the mandatory contributions of the Dem pig roast fundraisers of the past.

I would certainly hope that the new Dem candidates would have a different approach.  To be associated with the past would not bode well for their success.  Personally, I could not vote for a Dem candidate with connections to the past, and I think many others in town feel the same way.

You are right...tanstaafl.  There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch...my Daddy tole me that many years ago.  They must be after something.  I think what they want is exposure for the candidates, and your vote and support. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users