72 replies to this topic

#1 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

I'm trying to be patient but I ran out of canning jars today and am starting to get a little panicky.  *

When is Menard's going to open in Jeff?  Anyone heard any rumors?

I've made three trips up to Columbus over the last six months and was hoping to avoid another run up I-65.

----------------

*  Rural King only has regular mouth pints.  No other sizes.

Edited by HoundDog, 21 February 2015 - 07:48 PM.

• Quasar likes this

#2 Manny12

Manny12

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

I hear this spring. Sorry that's all I got for you.

#3 hawk

hawk

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Per my last visit to the Columbus store, opening will be April 24.

#4 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

Can hardly wait

#5 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

April 24th!?!  Ack!

May have to make another road trip to Columbus soon.  I was hoping they'd be here in March.

Thanks, hawk, for the 411.

#6 OpenEars

OpenEars

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Hounddog - Have you tried PC Hardware in Sellersburg?  They match prices and I'm fairly sure they stock that stuff...

#7 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

Thanks, OpenEars!  The problem is that "most" places consider canning to be a "seasonal" activity.  Not true!  I can as much in the Fall and Winter as I do in the Spring and Summer.  Dried beans, meat, bone broth, fruit, etc.  Just gets really hard to find canning jars this time of year.  I have plenty of quarts but need wide-mouth pints.  I know Menards has them in stock year-round but I'm trying to hold off till they open down here.

Edited by HoundDog, 25 February 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#8 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

bone broth,

I just love this stuff... I need to brew a pot, I've still got some packages of chicken feet in the freezer among some other items I've been saving...  :yes:

#9 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

Chicken feet in the freezer. How lovely. Do you know where those feet have been?? <shivers>

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Quasar and 1 other like this

#10 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

Don't make fun of him, Chopper.  I've got chicken feet in my freezer too.  LOL

• kelley and ChopperWoman like this

#11 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Quasar, I've made chicken, turkey, beef and ham broth this winter.  Great stuff!  Made mushroom broth last weekend.  That stuff is absolutely amazing!  Got 6 half pints of broth out of two 24-oz. boxes of mushrooms (also canned 7 half-pints of sliced mushrooms).  Want to get some arborio rice and make some mushroom risotto.

#12 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

I'm almost afraid to ask but my curiosity got the better of me. What, pray tell, do you use the chicken feet for? Lol!

• GrumpyGranny and grammy like this

#13 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:24 AM

Lots of people use them to make chicken stock.  Very rich and very high in glucosamine.  Quite popular in Eastern European as well as Asian and Mexican cultures.  I'll be honest though; I get them for my dogs.

Duckfoot2.jpg

Edited by HoundDog, 26 February 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#14 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:42 AM

Cute! Well, except for the chicken foot hanging out of his mouth. :laugh:

• GrumpyGranny and Beerguy like this

#15 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

I'm almost afraid to ask but my curiosity got the better of me. What, pray tell, do you use the chicken feet for? Lol!

Voodoo?? Lol.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley, Gabriella and 2 others like this

#16 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

Chicken feet are really good for their teeth and gums.  And lots of glucosamine, which is good for their joints.  Once you get past the YUCK factor, they are really good treats for medium to large dogs.  I don't know if one of these little "pocket pet" dogs could handle them.  :-)

#17 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Quasar, I've made chicken, turkey, beef and ham broth this winter.  Great stuff!  Made mushroom broth last weekend.  That stuff is absolutely amazing!  Got 6 half pints of broth out of two 24-oz. boxes of mushrooms (also canned 7 half-pints of sliced mushrooms).  Want to get some arborio rice and make some mushroom risotto.

I'm jealous... all I've done this winter was some chicken broth. The mushroom risotto should be fantastic. A lot of people don't know what they are missing by using canned broth... 

#18 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

Chicken feet are really good for their teeth and gums.  And lots of glucosamine, which is good for their joints.  Once you get past the YUCK factor, they are really good treats for medium to large dogs.  I don't know if one of these little "pocket pet" dogs could handle them.  :-)

My miniature dachshund Diesel loves them... but I always give him the dried ones that I get at Rural King. I use the fresh ones for bone broth.

My wife and I volunteered recently at a Dare to Care mobile food pantry... they had a huge gaylord box filled with various frozen meats that we distributed to a couple of hundred people that showed up. After the dust cleared... their were few frozen packs of chicken feet the bottom of the bin that nobody wanted and the Dare to Care folks didn't want to take them back so I ended up with them. I've got enough to make at least a three gallon pot full of broth...

Otherwise I only seem to find them consistently at a little Hispanic store down by Providence HS.  

#19 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

I couldn't give my furbaby any chicken feet. We have 4 backyard chickens lol

#20 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

Quasar, if you really want to expand your horizons in  the area of home food preservation, let me recommend this group on Facebook:

https://www.facebook...freliantliving/

Be warned, however, that they are deadly serious about only using safe, tested food preservation techniques.  Definitely not for folks who only want to do it the "old school" way.  Pressure canning only for low-acid foods (most vegetables, beans, meat, etc.).   20,000+ members.

• Quasar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users