19 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

Sorry, folk, but I'm really fuming.  At  $15 MILLION dollars per school, GCCS wants to referendum the election.  They only want NINE new schools.  Do you want to pony up on their first fiasco, Maple Spring, at the corner of 8th & Spring?  Isn't that the now defunct Reader's Cleaners & Industrial Nightmare area?   Yeah, let's build a $15 MILLION dollar elementary in an industrial/commerce area. 

That would close two schools, Spring Hill & Maple Elementary. 

It would be more cost efficient to maintain/upgrade the neighborhood schools that serve their neighborhoods. 

But who doesn't like a new building project?  You get a plaque with your name on it!

I don't say this lightly, it will be over my dead body, because I'll suffer a heart attack or aneurysm if we  close down our neighborhood schools, our neighborhoods, and, ultimately, our children.

Edited by Donna, 20 February 2015 - 01:29 AM.

• GrumpyGranny, flowergirl and snowman like this

#2 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:58 AM

Sorry, folk, but I'm really fuming.  At  $15 MILLION dollars per school, GCCS wants to referendum the election.  They only want NINE new schools.  Do you want to pony up on their first fiasco, Maple Spring, at the corner of 8th & Spring?  Isn't that the now defunct Reader's Cleaners & Industrial Nightmare area?   Yeah, let's build a $15 MILLION dollar elementary in an industrial/commerce area. 

That would close two schools, Spring Hill & Maple Elementary. 

It would be more cost efficient to maintain/upgrade the neighborhood schools that serve their neighborhoods. 

But who doesn't like a new building project?  You get a plaque with your name on it!

I don't say this lightly, it will be over my dead body, because I'll suffer a heart attack or aneurysm if we  close down our neighborhood schools, our neighborhoods, and, ultimately, our children.

:logik: ......They won' give a ratz, an' IF they decide ta do that.......they'a watch ya have yer heart attack/aneurysm......an' trample, an' trod OVER yer dead carcass.......ta fit they agenda...... . :whistle:

Other'n 'at.........i'm in agreement with ya....... :tongue:  

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#3 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:04 AM

Some might not like this, but here it goes.....

Parkview needs to be shut down.

The building is a mechanical nightmare.

They keep putting band aids on the HVAC, power, and water systems, but it does little to help.

The building has served out it's life and needs to be replaced.

Hopefully, the replacement will be built with a centrally located tornado shelter, and modern security systems.

Maybe we can learn from the past.

• technology overloaded and grammy like this

#4 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:31 AM

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. The corner of 8th and Spring would be a neighborhood school for me. As it stands right now my grandchild will be a bus rider. I haven't been in the inside of maple yet to see how much upgrading it needs. And I definetly don't care for the location of Spring Hill although it may be a quality school. My concerns would be lead and mold if any is present. Because allergies can be severe or life threatening for some.

#5 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

Parkview opened in 1961 -- that is 54 years ago.  Buildings should be built to last much longer than 54 years.  Too much money is spent and wasted on "throw away" schools.

• Oldgoat, snowman and Sleepy like this

#6 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

Tough calls ahead.

#7 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:03 PM

Some might not like this, but here it goes.....

Parkview needs to be shut down.

The building is a mechanical nightmare.

They keep putting band aids on the HVAC, power, and water systems, but it does little to help.

The building has served out it's life and needs to be replaced.

Hopefully, the replacement will be built with a centrally located tornado shelter, and modern security systems.

Maybe we can learn from the past.

I would have a lesser issue with Parkview being torn down and rebuilt. It has had mold issues, water leaks, and many other issues. I would much rather see a safer, healthier new middle school than the destruction and consolidation of our neighborhood elementary schools.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, karen and 5 others like this

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

Parkview also had an asbestos issue.  Don't know if they took care of that when they upgraded 3-4 years ago, but I do know they did not protect the students/teachers or administrators at the school. 

The parents and children in the Spring Hill neighborhood very much need a school that children can walk/ride their bike to.  There's a playground area for neighborhood children to play in throughout the week, and The Boys & Girls Club is located right next door.  I believe this closure would be much more harmful to the families, students and neighborhood.  ALL of those children would be bussed because of the busy nature of 10th Street.  Children crossing would be dangerous indeed! 

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 4 others like this

#9 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:46 PM

I remember when Eastlawn closed.  We were told the building was obsolete and replacing the heating system would cost too much.  All these years later the building is still doing just fine for the social service people using it.  It is rarely cheaper to build a new school than to update an older one but the people that get hired to "study" the options are many times connected to the architectural firms that make millions designing new ones.  Building new schools / stadiums/ arenas / jails and all other public buildings is a huge and lucrative industry with incredible political clout.  They even get laws and regulations passed making old buildings non-compliant just so new ones will get built.  I challenge anyone to show where kids learn / succeed better in new, bigger schools.  The statistics suggest the opposite.

• kelley, karen, Jules and 2 others like this

#10 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:51 PM

Oldgoat and Donna nailed it.

#11 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

Neighborhood schools are needed.  Something that does need to be addressed within the buildings is the need to be able to keep up with technology. 

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#12 cokecollector

cokecollector

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

neighborhood schools are always the best, and if anyone believes that a new building will fix the maintenance issues associated with buildings is sadly mistaken. it will change the issues but not eliminate them. new buildings have there own unique problems, add those to the transportation issues and the neighborhood schools are still the right answer 

• GrumpyGranny, Oldgoat, flowergirl and 2 others like this

#13 technology overloaded

technology overloaded

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

they rebuilt riverside how many times? but they cant rebuild these schools?

#14 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Sorry, TO, can you elaborate a bit?

#15 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

Only a Superintendent with a 3 year Roll over contract would attempt this.

• IntegrityMatters, Avid Reader, karen and 1 other like this

#16 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

they rebuilt riverside how many times? but they cant rebuild these schools?

Once?

#17 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

The rebuilding of Riverside...about 10 years ago now, was a wonderful thing.

Had you ever been inside the old building?  The building had bad odors and the worst energy efficiency in the district because of the 2" walls that it had.   And yes folks, you read that right.   The outside walls of the building were a mere 2" thick (metal on the inside and outside filled with insulation.)

• Donna and Sleepy like this

#18 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:20 AM

http://www.newsandtr...a5f984c4fb.html

Melin said part of the reason for not releasing the study yet is to avoid a churning rumor mill. Until the administration has better ideas on what to do with the information, he said he doesn’t want to risk information within it getting taken out of context.

but then he releases part of the study...

However, he did share some of the details from the study. Nine of the district’s 12 elementary schools were recommended for either substantial renovations or outright replacement.

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

Fueling rumors that sound positive like renovations and new buildings = okay.

Fueling rumors schools may be shut down and giving taxpayers and parents time to effectively make their voices heard = not okay.

Edited by kelley, 17 March 2015 - 07:35 AM.

• IntegrityMatters, snowman and Donna like this

#20 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

Snowman posted:
"Nine of the district’s 12 elementary schools were recommended

for either substantial renovations

or outright replacement."

Gulp.....

Wonderful.  It would have been RESPONSIBLE  to release that just as soon as they had possession

of that "study" and possible action. People need to know.

Edited by Savile Row, 17 March 2015 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users