12 replies to this topic

#1 Troglodad

Troglodad

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

I've lived in Clarksville for the past 17 years. I've seen some interesting behavior from our so-called civil servants but our snow storm has brought out some surprising behavior.

Came home today and drove down my typically un-scraped street. At my culdesac, I found a huge pile of snow heaped up. Preventing from driving up into my driveway. No problem, I'll just drive around--

What the h*ll?! Snow was heaped at the foot of my driveway. A mound over a foot deep, and three feet wide, of hard, blocky ice/snow. Not the nice powdery stuff in the yard. Hard-packed stuff. Oddly, none of my fellow culdesacers had a similar gift.

I tried to call the street department number, 812-283-8233. I tried calling 1-812-283-8233. I tried calling just 283-8233. On both my cell and home phones. Oddly, i got the same recording each time--that I needed to dial an area code then the seven digit number. Wow. How clever to record that as your answering machine message.

So, to recap, street department only plowed my culdesac, piled it just at my driveway, then isnt available afterhours for emergencies or even to leave voice mail. Or maybe I should adopt a conspiracy theory and think my neighbors are behind this? That's awful fantastical.

Anyone else see a snowplow operated by rocket scentists on their street?

#2 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

One complaintout of about 22,000 residents...not bad at all. That must mean that there are about 21,999 town residents that are happy and satisfied with our street department's performance. I'm one of the very satisfied, even though it took them a while to get to my street...I live on a very lightly traveled street and don't expect any plowing at all.

I even saw our street commissioner himself operating a plow truck today...that's dedication to duty...the boss plowing while his crew took a well deserved break...

IMO, our street dept does a superb job...tell ya what troglodad, tell us your address and I'll see if I can get together enough volunteers to clear your driveway for ya.
  • GrumpyGranny, Kruger87 and ICU like this

#3 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

My family is quite satisfied, too, even though they didn't get to our street until today. I haven't been out myself but three family members have had to go to work and have said that the main thoroughfares and more traveled side streets were in good shape. It's understandable that they don't get to less traveled streets like ours until the more heavily traveled streets are cleared.

#4 Troglodad

Troglodad

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

IMO, our street dept does a superb job...tell ya what troglodad, tell us your address and I'll see if I can get together enough volunteers to clear your driveway for ya.

Funny. I couldnt wait, and did it myself.

#5 Bradley Cummings

Bradley Cummings

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

Troglodad,

I am sorry that you have had issues with contacting the Street Department. The message you are receiving was not recorded by the Street Department but is a recording from the service provider for an error in the system due to the new area code that was assigned to Indiana. This issue with the phone system was brought to our attention Monday evening, at that  time we reported the issue to our system provider for repairs. It may be easier to contact me through email until the problem is resolved. bcummings@townofclarksville.com

Let me reassure you, you were not singled out from any of your neighbors and the Street Department does not go around with the intent of creating problems for residents or visitors of the Town of Clarksville. The Town of Clarksville has a designated snow route, this route is followed during snow and ice storms when on rare occasions, and we will expand the route to include the neighborhoods. The snow storms we have had this week would be classified as a rare occasion. It’s during these rare occasions that we push our equipment and crews to their max to provide safe travel routes for all. The problem, this is a catch 22! If we do nothing then we fail the whole community, this is the community that we are responsible to serve, if we plow through the neighborhoods we know in advance there will be issues for a few with trouble getting in or out of their driveways.  I am sorry that this time you happen to be the few. If you would email me your address I will personally come by and clear the snow from the front of your driveway before you leave for work in the morning. I will be up for another hour or so this evening if you would like to email me tonight or we will be reporting to work at 4:30 in the morning to treat any slick spots related with the drop in temperatures if you would like to email me then.

Again, sorry for your issues

Bradley Cummings

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Quasar and 7 others like this

#6 MARVIN BOSTOCK JR

MARVIN BOSTOCK JR

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

Big thanks to you and the crew Brad.

Edited by MARVIN BOSTOCK JR, 19 February 2015 - 02:50 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#7 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:07 AM

Behold.... The power of the Chatter.

• kelley, Quasar and Tina like this

#8 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

Sleepy, dude, call your bud that is running and get him over there with a snow shovel
to work on that guy's driveway! Dang!

Edited by Savile Row, 19 February 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#9 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

I've been extremely impressed with the way Clarksville has handled the snow this year, and in years past. I know Brad, and I know that he wants to do the best job possible for this town. We need more people like Brad! Good job Clarksville Street Department!

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#10 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

I can't complain. I live on a street that is not part of the "snow plan". I haven't seen a snow plow on my street in over 20 years. (Last time, a Sheriff who lived on my street called the street department and told them to get it done. My wife was pregnant and due any day. I don't think he wanted to deliver my daughter!).

Low and behold, as I trudged out to my car yesterday, what did my unbelieving eyes see? YES, a snow plow cut a path down the street!!! Shoot, I called my wife at work and told her an event of historic proportions had occured!

• GrumpyGranny, kelley and Tina like this

#11 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

must have been an election year miracle!!

• kelley likes this

#12 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:41 AM

One complaintout of about 22,000 residents...not bad at all. That must mean that there are about 21,999 town residents that are happy and satisfied with our street department's performance. I'm one of the very satisfied, even though it took them a while to get to my street...I live on a very lightly traveled street and don't expect any plowing at all.

I even saw our street commissioner himself operating a plow truck today...that's dedication to duty...the boss plowing while his crew took a well deserved break...

Lead by example, now that is a statement about the caliber of our Street Commissioner ability to let action speak for it's self, good job Sir.

• Bradley Cummings likes this

#13 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

Troglodad,

I am sorry that you have had issues with contacting the Street Department. The message you are receiving was not recorded by the Street Department but is a recording from the service provider for an error in the system due to the new area code that was assigned to Indiana. This issue with the phone system was brought to our attention Monday evening, at that  time we reported the issue to our system provider for repairs. It may be easier to contact me through email until the problem is resolved. bcummings@townofclarksville.com

Let me reassure you, you were not singled out from any of your neighbors and the Street Department does not go around with the intent of creating problems for residents or visitors of the Town of Clarksville. The Town of Clarksville has a designated snow route, this route is followed during snow and ice storms when on rare occasions, and we will expand the route to include the neighborhoods. The snow storms we have had this week would be classified as a rare occasion. It’s during these rare occasions that we push our equipment and crews to their max to provide safe travel routes for all. The problem, this is a catch 22! If we do nothing then we fail the whole community, this is the community that we are responsible to serve, if we plow through the neighborhoods we know in advance there will be issues for a few with trouble getting in or out of their driveways.  I am sorry that this time you happen to be the few. If you would email me your address I will personally come by and clear the snow from the front of your driveway before you leave for work in the morning. I will be up for another hour or so this evening if you would like to email me tonight or we will be reporting to work at 4:30 in the morning to treat any slick spots related with the drop in temperatures if you would like to email me then.

Again, sorry for your issues

Bradley Cummings

Sir you and your crew did an outstanding job considering the nature of the event. And for you to personaly offer to go and shovel the mans driveway clear is a true true testimony of the degree of dedication and seriousness that you place on the position to which you serve and represent Clarksville. Thank you for your commitment.

• GrumpyGranny and Bradley Cummings like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users