Photo

Habachi Grille and Sushi in Charlestown?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

Now I love the Habachi as much or more than many, but is Charlestown really a good market for such a venue?  I enjoy Kobe's, Kanseii, and Tomo, but for a family of three I spent nearly $100.00 to eat there.

I just don't see how the Charlestown market can support a top dollar resturant.  Then again, maybe it will not be as pricey, but what will that cost be?

Fresh Sushi and steak have a bottom dollar.

That said, I can't wait til it opens and give it a try!

#2 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

There is a Sushi to go and drive thru on Lyndon Lane in St Matthews.... That seems more like the Charlestown type to me.

#3 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

I guess you all would rather we would bring our $$$ to your cities to spend.

I have no idea if this will be successful or not but it will depend on the food and service. Also depends on how clean they keep it. There are lots of people from Charlestown that spend a lot on eating out and it is going to be interesting to see if people support it. Some think you have to drive miles to enjoy eating out.

I ate at the Mexican train station yesterday and it was really good. Had to really listen to the waiter because of broken English but we got what we ordered. The place isn't fancy but was clean and like a small town place. Was a lot of food for the money.

#4 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

Masey, not sure what you are saying, about bringing our $$$ to your cities?

I have a Charlestown address, I actually live several miles past Charlestown near New Washington.  I would love to see more dining options without going to "your cities".

I'm just not sure if it is the 'right' resturaunt for the town.

I'm a regular at the Copper Kettle and 62 Twist.  I am all for supporting small and local business.  If its good.  I hope it will be great, but I also hope it will be affordable.

#5 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

Woodslover and Tiles- after rereading your post I do believe you tick me off just a bit. Why do you think we are just a drive thru type of people and do you not think the majority of us can afford to spend $100?

Just saw your post Woodslover. Most of people on here are from other towns and your post hit a nerve. Don't be so negative. Someone is trying to make a living for themselves and don't stomp on it right off the bat. Wait and see what they are like.

I go to Copper Kettle and the other places in town also.

#6 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

I don't feel I am being negitive or insulting towns people, I am one of them as well.  My comment is simply that based on other businesses I am not sure if a more expensive place would do well.

And yes, I do doubt that the majority of people in Charlestown would not want to spend $100 for 3 people to eat on a regular basis, weither they can afford it or not.

Look at all the resturaunts and businesses in general that have come and gone in Charlestown.  Look at the ones that are successful.  You will see a trend.

Sorry if I   "tick you off".  Opinions vary.

#7 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:41 AM

I don't feel I am being negitive or insulting towns people, I am one of them as well.  My comment is simply that based on other businesses I am not sure if a more expensive place would do well.

And yes, I do doubt that the majority of people in Charlestown would not want to spend $100 for 3 people to eat on a regular basis, weither they can afford it or not.

Look at all the resturaunts and businesses in general that have come and gone in Charlestown.  Look at the ones that are successful.  You will see a trend.

Sorry if I   "tick you off".  Opinions vary.

•  
  •   Exactly ! :goodpost:

Edited by TLIES, 13 February 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#8 James Richardson

James Richardson

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

Does anyone have an idea as to how long it takes for restaurants to hire workers around here? I figure they already had chefs in mind for the sushi, so this would be more for the servers and other folks. I am rather interested in the place (though it kind of makes me miss pizza hut pizza).

#9 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

I'm curious as to when it will open.  James, are you thinking they are having trouble finding staff, thus delaying the opening?

#10 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

You know it's really hard to find Sushi chefs in Charlestown !!

#11 Cherokee

Cherokee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

My view, is that C-town politicians have done everything they could to prevent this city from growing. now you folks on here can disagree with me as much as you want, but I see it that Charlestown is right in the middle of an economically advantaged area, if we had the correct people running the city. Charlestown CAN an WOULD support this and more businesses like this with the right support. I feel that the people (mayor....for one) are people that can't deal with the extra responsibility it takes to develop a community. C-ville, Jeff, and New Albany prosper by people, whether unpopular or not, have enough sense to support and encourage new business. You may say location makes a difference, and that is true. We need someone to see that Charletown is LOCATION, we need people that have that more than old small town attitude. of course it's hard to make a business successful in town, there are too many political interest based on "what can I get in my pocket" behaviors. We could have had Amazon, Tenneco, Briova, Pegatron....... in our business district (C-town side of Bethany road)if we had people with bigger minds than some good ole country boy intelligence.

I remember from my history classes, that C-town was the county seat in the past, but (my opinion)...the people that was running the town then, didn't have any more sense than the current administration (sorry to the people that I know, but fact is fact).........

someone needs to step up and get this town in shape, someone that has the mind to develop and promote this part of the county as an economic hotspot....the ammunition plant is gone get over it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Honestly, I doubt Charlestown will ever be County seat again and here is why I think that: Jeffersonville is by the river and is next to the Interstate, Sellersburg is next to the Interstate, and Clarksville is next to the river and the interstate. Many cities or towns have to focus on business that travels past them, Charlestown can't really do that. Currently, housing is growing in Charlestown due to the new business in River Ridge, so I would expect to see more dine-in businesses that cost more. Sure, I agree that the people of Charlestown like to be frugal with their dining money, but there is a large portion of the populace that travels to other cities to go out to eat and it would be nice if we could capitalize on that. As to what the City can do, there is mostly just approving zoning and tax rates. In all fairness to Mayor Hall, he did attempt to increase development in Charlestown, whether you agree with how he went about it or not.

I think the Hibachi Grill will do well so long as it tries to hit around $8-15 a meal.

Now, Sushi settled, where is my coffee shop?

#13 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

I think any influx of capital through expansion of business would be great for Charlestown!

#14 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

So its a political reason the Habachi Grille has not opened?

I went to Kansai in Clarksville sunday and spent $100.00  That money could have just as easily been spent in Charlestown, but its starting to look like this place may never open.

#15 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

The Habachi Grille has been busy every day since it opened. I haven't been yet but a friend has and said it was real good. Four of them went and bill was under $35. I have heard others say it was good also.

Have been to both Mexican restaurants and they are good..lots of food for the money.

#16 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

We tried it over the weekend!  It was very good, not Kobe good, but close.  It was also affordable, $40.00 for my family of 3.  Service needs some work, but I think they are just figuring it out.  I was disappointed that there was no Hibachi Grille for us to sit around.

All in all, its a great place to eat in Charlestown,  No replacement for Kobes, Tomo, or Kansii, but certainly an affordable alternative, priced right for Charlestown.

• All About Truth likes this

#17 All About Truth

All About Truth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

I have been there twice last week and once this week!  The food is amazing and the price is fantastic.  Not too many places where two people can get salad, soup, meal, and a drink for $22 total!  The service on the other hand was not so great, but the food was so good that I can deal with the service.  

Now on the other hand, I went to the new Mexican joint by Anytime Fitness last night....yuck double yuck!!!  The place looked great, but the food was the worst Mexican food I have ever had.  I will not be going back there.  I'll stick to eating at the Train.  The Mexican Food there is great.   

#18 Bulldog0605

Bulldog0605

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

Bulldog Food Critic Report: Tired it last night and it had its good and bad moments.

Good: Price, not a bad a value for what you get, Overall meal was not bad, matches the price I paid. I got the Shrimp Bento Box and the Rice, Shrimp and Sping Roll were all pretty good. Kids meal was the right size and my daughter was happy with her food.

Nice simple place, glad to see they clean it up and revamped the decore.

Bad: Customer Service, no one waited on us for about 10 minutes after being sat and I had to ask a server if anyone was going to serve us. (12 Tables 3 Servers) no excuse for this.

It was not that crowded and we still waited 30 minutes for our food to come out, a little nuts considering it was not that busy.

The Yum Yum sauce was left out on the tables, considering it a Mayo based sauce maybe not the best idea of leaving it out all day.

The Salads are a joke, I am not putting yum yum sauce, or that other sauce on my salad. It would be nice if they had a Ginger salad dressing, like all other Japanese restaurants. 

The sushi is the same generic crap you get all the Chinese buffets. Fake crab was just not good...

Overall: Not a bad place, needs to get it together a bit. If the customer service is not fixed it will turn people away. Lunch prices looked very reasonable priced and a good value.

Edited by Bulldog0605, 19 March 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#19 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

^ Agree with your thought Bulldog, though when I was there, they brought the Yum Yum too us, as well as ginger sauce for the salad.  Service is weak I noticed several families have the same issue you had when no one greeted them.  Such a small place not hard to notice new customers.

#20 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

Went back.  Yum Yum and Ginger sauce was brought out (seemed refrigerated, so that's good)

Food was great.

Had the same server who was to busy to wait on my family last time, this time the server pushed a new trainee on me.  The trainee did a fine job, but makes me wonder why the first one keeps avoiding serving me.  First time with my family, she said she was busy with a 'big' order and left us hanging, no offer of dessert (which we all wanted to try, so instead we stopped at 62 twist) no offers of refills, even when she placed the bill right next to my empty glass.

Food was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users