165 replies to this topic

#21 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:14 PM

It appears that no one thing can be blamed for the county's situation.
With that said, there will never be a silver bullet solution.

#22 BrianLenfert

BrianLenfert

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

The amount of inmates go up and down constantly.  The commissioners get a regular report on the number of inmates in juvenile detention and the jail, the council does not get that report.  I'm sure if you were interested, you could get this report sent to you regularly.

#23 cabowabo

cabowabo

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'm with Oldgoat on this. We need to start working on complete government merger in Clark county. It would eliminate all of these budget problems.

#24 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

Nsbhm, the levy was lowered the same year the cap system came into play. Also Jeffersonville anexation levy increase requests were about the same time. So, in effect, our lost portion went elsewhere.

#25 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

Brian, great job on your explanation On how we got to our financial dilemma.

#26 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

How does a person find out what appeals by

what governmental entity

to the DLGF

were disapproved or approved?

When will the governmental entities let us know

what they appealed,

for how much,

and what are the results

of those attempts to get yet more tax money?

Edited by Savile Row, 11 February 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#27 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

What did the county appeal?

Win anything?

Jeffersonville?

Clarksville?

#28 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

The County filed a petition with the DLGF in attempt to reverse the maximum levy reduction on grounds of "mistake or data error" as provided by statute.  The DLGF denied the petition without even conducting a hearing on grounds that the reduction was the result of the intentional act of the County Council in 2007 (and therefore did not constitute a mistake).  The County appealed to the Tax Court and tried to supplement the sparse DLGF record with additional relevant documents by affidavit (in the same manner that is permitted before the Court of Appeals when no record or transcript of a legal proceeding exists).  2+ years later the Tax Court denied the County's effort to supplement the record and affirmed the denial of the County's petition by the DLGF. No further appeal of the Tax Court opinion to the Indiana Supreme Court was sought.  Hence, the County remains in a chronic state of financial distress that has grown, and will continue to grow, inexorably worse on an annual basis.  

#29 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

Yes,
Curmudgeon gave it a great shot to try to correct the problem,
but the DLGF said no dice.

County’s failure to plan did not constitute a correctable “error in data” or in interpreting data.
Clark County v. Department of Local Government Finance, Cause No. 39T10-1102-TA-9 (June 25, 2014).

In 2007, the Council had accurate numbers and was advised by the DLGF that a reduced levy could reduce the maximum levy in 2009, “regardless of what the future held.” Id. (emphasis in original). The Court observed: “This was not an ‘error in data,’ nor was it even an error in interpreting data. Instead, it was simply a failure on the part of the Council to plan for budgetary contingencies.” Id.

http://www.in.gov/ju...06250101mbw.pdf

Edited by Savile Row, 11 February 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#30 What the What

What the What

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for enlightening us on the County's financial situation Mr. Lenfert.  I haven't followed this, but this is how I am understanding it.  The council cut the county's budget to spend the rainy day fund, which in turn didn't really lower anyone's taxes because the City's just took the County's portion.   Now the county has depleted the rainy day funds and they are not able to get more money because the tax levy is at its maximum due to the Cities just taking the County's portion.  Additionally, the Cities are adding more cost to the County by cutting out the City Courts - ie. Jeff, Charlestown, and Sellersburg, but instead of giving the savings back to the County the Cities have just kept that money and used it elsewhere.  Is that right?  I read the link to the court case and it stated that the Council was told by the DLGF that this would happen, but they did it anyway.  So my question is how does this affect me as a taxpayer?  How does the council find the money to continue to operate?  

#31 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

We need help from the State Legislature.

#32 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

Kevin

Brian did a great job telling us how we got in this situation.

You have been on the board a long time, WHAT have you done to get 

us out of this problem?

Any Captain can tell us the Boat is sinking, A good Captain can save the boat.

• grammy likes this

#33 dawizzy1

dawizzy1

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Regardless of who is at fault, I tend to look at things as most people do; How does this affect me? Even before the levy reductions, this county was poorly managed for years. I am a life long resident of this county and will probably move 7 miles north before the end of the year due to the money it will save me. A simple move 7 miles north to Jefferson county will save me almost $1650 a year in county taxes. Clark county income tax is .02 while Jefferson is .0035. Over my 20 years of remaing working life, this would save me $33000. I think you will see in the future, people who are able to be mobile will leave the county for surrounding counties and those moving to southern Indiana will avoid Clark. I will simply do some needed repairs on my current home and rent it out as an investment property. It boils down to being tired of living in a county that has, for the most part, put themselves in bad situation on top of another with no solutions. It costs me money I work hard for and I am done.

• firefly1937, averageguy and grammy like this

#34 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

We in the city feel the same with the sewer bills and for them it's never enough.
  • firefly1937 likes this

#35 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

Kevin
Brian did a great job telling us how we got in this situation.
You have been on the board a long time, WHAT have you done to get
us out of this problem?

Any Captain can tell us the Boat is sinking, A good Captain can save the boat.

Call me. I'll be glad to discuss.

#36 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Kevin - why not answer the question here so we can all know?   Instead only Sleepy gets to find out what you think you have done.

#37 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

I answered it on the other thread.

#38 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

Kevin voted in favor of a resolution to file the levy appeal for mathematical or data error.  Had that resolution been unanimously passed, we may have received a more favorable response by DLGF.  Unfortunately, the vote was only 5 to 2 in favor.  The State is not likely to provide assistance when we are not in agreement about either the request or the commitment to take the local actions necessary to implement the ultimate fix.

#39 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

Curmudgeon...who were the two who voted against? 

#40 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:11 AM

Was happy to read from the N&T:

JEFFERSONVILLE — Citing the county’s “dire financial status,” the Clark County Commissioners unanimously decided not to spend about $300,000 to test new voting machines in the May party primary elections...

The commissioners had inquired about upgrading the county’s voting machines in the wake of a recount in the race for county clerk that changed the outcome of the race...

Stephenson said the recount showed that the voting machines worked exactly as intended.

“There were absolutely no errors made by the voting machines,” Stephenson said... If I’ve got machines that are operating appropriately, I can’t justify $300,000 over the next five years to be spent on the new machines.”

http://www.newsandtr...ca2ebf18dc.html

Good!

Edited by snowman, 13 February 2015 - 06:15 AM.

• kelley and Quasar like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users