56 replies to this topic

#41 Stephen Voelker

Stephen Voelker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

Why is any one surprised that a person would hire his friends rather than his enemies?

#42 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

Why is any one surprised that a person would hire his friends rather than his enemies?

Not really surprised that's how it works. But you would think with all the bad publicity police are getting these days the last person you would hire is a guy that has been arrested by some of the officers he will be working with ???????  

Edited by Mr. Gray, 25 April 2015 - 07:51 AM.

• Not Super But Honest Mike likes this

#43 Ray

Ray

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

I know nothing about the individual who have been hired. However, If one has a conviction for a domestic battery offense, they are barred by federal law from owning/possessing a firearm.  So I would doubt that a person with a conviction would be hired. An arrest maybe, but not a conviction. 

• grammy likes this

#44 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

I know nothing about the individual who have been hired. However, If one has a conviction for a domestic battery offense, they are barred by federal law from owning/possessing a firearm.  So I would doubt that a person with a conviction would be hired. An arrest maybe, but not a conviction. 

Still even if just an arrest(s) do we want this guy on a police department ?  Sometimes political payback just goes to far.  

#45 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

I don't know the individual either . Nor do I know the case. I do know sometimes victims lie or exaggerate the situation . Domestic issues can run a very fine line.

#46 totty

totty

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

Good old boy politics. ...how about Ratchet girl case dismissed. ...

#47 totty

totty

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Bratcher

#48 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:20 PM

Still even if just an arrest(s) do we want this guy on a police department ?  Sometimes political payback just goes to far.  

Holy cow!  How can you hold an arrest against someone?  We are innocent until proven guilty in this country, although in recent years many prefer trial by popular opinion based on press releases rather than due process and a jury,  that is NOT how it works!  Your statement is just plain un-American!

• Pesty Version 2 likes this

#49 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:33 AM

Mr. Gray, on 25 Apr 2015 - 6:28 PM, said:snapback.png

Holy cow!  How can you hold an arrest against someone?  We are innocent until proven guilty in this country, although in recent years many prefer trial by popular opinion based on press releases rather than due process and a jury,  that is NOT how it works!  Your statement is just plain un-American!

I usually only look in from time to time while at work but will make an exception here.  I will respond with a couple of questions.  First to the ladies out there, what do you think of a guy who has beaten his wife and arrested for it being a police officer ?  And second question goes out to the police officers who visit here.  Do you think a guy with resisting law enforcement arrest(s) should be a police officer ?

And to address my "un American" accusation.  As I watched the sun rise behind old glory this morning I thought about that and decided that any comment to an idiot statement today wasn't worth my time.  I did check my Avatar on here just to make sure it hadn't changed to some "un American" flag or something.

Got to go for now, until next time carry on folks.......................

• Not Super But Honest Mike likes this

#50 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:46 AM

Holy cow! How can you hold an arrest against someone? We are innocent until proven guilty in this country, although in recent years many prefer trial by popular opinion based on press releases rather than due process and a jury, that is NOT how it works! Your statement is just plain un-American!

Soooo, your "oops" comment when Poppie shared Freddy Gray's arrest-only-not-convictions record on the "dealing with protestors" thread in the State and National was not a suggestion the arrest-only record reflected on the man's character, correct?

Edited by kelley, 11 May 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#51 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

I usually only look in from time to time while at work but will make an exception here.  I will respond with a couple of questions.  First to the ladies out there, what do you think of a guy who has beaten his wife and arrested for it being a police officer ?  And second question goes out to the police officers who visit here.  Do you think a guy with resisting law enforcement arrest(s) should be a police officer ?

I believe any police officer who is arrested for beating his wife should be suspended from the force until the case is finalized.  If guilty, he should be terminated.  If the arrest occurs before the person is hired, they should not be hired until the case is completed.  (I also believe that school board members who commit a felony and plead guilty should resign from the board --- but that did not happen.  This is Clark County!)  Thank goodness we have now changed the law so that this will not happen again.   School board members who commit a felony will be forced to resign from their elected post  - House Bill 1335).  Unfortunately, our sitting school board member doesn't think the law pertains to her!  Again -- only in Clark County!  shameful

#52 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

Soooo, your "oops" comment when Poppie shared Freddy Gray's arrest-only-not-convictions record on the "dealing with protestors" thread in the State and National was not a suggestion the arrest-only record reflected on the man's character, correct?

Not sure where you got your information but Gray had numerous convictions.  Granted not ALL of his charges were convictions as many plead out.   You need to do some more research!   http://www.snopes.co...freddiegray.asp

#53 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

And to address my "un American" accusation.  As I watched the sun rise behind old glory this morning I thought about that and decided that any comment to an idiot statement today wasn't worth my time.  I did check my Avatar on here just to make sure it hadn't changed to some "un American" flag or something.

Got to go for now, until next time carry on folks.......................

Was he convicted?  If so, I agree.  If not, it is no different than your neighbor accusing you of selling drugs and your losing your job over it before even having your day in court.  If innocent until PROVEN guilty is an idiot statement you clearly don't believe in Constitutional Rights.

#54 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

Not sure where you got your information but Gray had numerous convictions. Granted not ALL of his charges were convictions as many plead out. You need to do some more research! http://www.snopes.co...freddiegray.asp

The list shared on the other thread was titled as charges and admitted some were thrown out.

Edited by kelley, 14 May 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#55 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

The list shared on the other thread was titled as charges and admitted some were thrown out.

Re-read your own post!  You said they were arrests, not convictions.  That is simply no where near the truth.  The article clearly states there were numerous convictions.

#56 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

Was he convicted?  If so, I agree.  If not, it is no different than your neighbor accusing you of selling drugs and your losing your job over it before even having your day in court.  If innocent until PROVEN guilty is an idiot statement you clearly don't believe in Constitutional Rights.

We will have to "agree to disagree" on your Constitutional Rights and being un-American accusations.  You have never walked in my boots and don't know where they have been, that makes me smile and laugh at such accusations but not angry, everybody has their opinion.

Now back on topic.  I'm only saying people that have jobs that serve the public in this case a Sheriff Deputy should be held to a higher standard and part of that is their history before being considered. A person's past actions due show their personality.  At least one department would not hire him because of his past.  But because of politics those arrests made no difference in this case and the county officers that investigated and arrested him were part of the political payback and lost their positions in the department.  It may be all good for the ones running things but doesn't pass the smell test in my opinion.

Edited by Mr. Gray, 16 May 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#57 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

Holy cow! How can you hold an arrest against someone? We are innocent until proven guilty in this country, although in recent years many prefer trial by popular opinion based on press releases rather than due process and a jury, that is NOT how it works! Your statement is just plain un-American!

This is the link I was referencing above. Note the heading on the image within says "...arrest record."

Edited by kelley, 16 May 2015 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users