#21 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:57 PM

SOURCE: IC 3-5-9; (12)HE1005.1.1. -->
SECTION 1. IC 3-5-9 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS A NEW CHAPTER TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2013]:
Chapter 9. Government Employees and Volunteer Firefighters Holding Office
Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "elected office" refers only to the following:
(1) The executive or a member of the executive body of a unit.
(2) A member of the legislative body or fiscal body of a unit.
Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "government employee" refers to an employee of a unit. The term does not include an individual who holds only an elected office.
Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "unit" means a county, city, town, or township.
Sec. 4. (a) An individual who is serving as a volunteer firefighter for a volunteer fire department or a fire department that provides fire protection services to a unit:
(1) under a contract, excluding a mutual aid agreement; or
(2) as the unit's fire department;
may not assume or hold an elected office of a unit that receives fire protection services from the department in which the volunteer
firefighter serves.
(b) An individual who:
(1) is an employee of a unit, serving as a full-time, paid firefighter; or
(2) serves as a volunteer firefighter;
in a department that provides fire protection services to more than one (1) unit, excluding fire protection services provided under mutual aid agreements, may not assume or hold an elected office of any unit that receives fire protection services from the department.
Sec. 5. Except as provided in section 7 of this chapter, an individual is considered to have resigned as a government employee when the individual assumes an elected office of the unit that employs the individual.
Sec. 6. This chapter does not prohibit:
(1) a government employee from assuming or holding an elected office of a unit other than the unit that employs the government employee;
(2) a full-time, paid firefighter or volunteer firefighter from assuming or holding an elected office of a unit other than a unit that receives fire protection services from the department in which the volunteer firefighter serves; or
(3) an individual who assumes or holds an elected office from also being appointed to and serving on a board, commission, or committee of the unit.
Sec. 7. (a) Notwithstanding sections 4 and 5 of this chapter:
(1) a volunteer firefighter who assumes or holds an elected office on January 1, 2013, may continue to hold the elected office and serve as a volunteer firefighter; and
(2) a government employee who assumes or holds an elected office on January 1, 2013, may continue to hold the elected office and be employed as a government employee;
until the term of the elected office that the volunteer firefighter or government employee is serving on January 1, 2013, expires.
(b) After the expiration of the term of the elected office that the volunteer firefighter referred to in subsection (a) is serving on January 1, 2013, the volunteer firefighter is subject to section 4 of this chapter with respect to serving as a volunteer firefighter and assuming or holding an elected office of the unit that receives fire protection services from the department in which the volunteer firefighter serves.
© After the expiration of the term of the elected office that the

government employee referred to in subsection (a) is serving on January 1, 2013, the government employee is subject to section 5 of this chapter with respect to assuming or holding an elected office and being employed by the unit that employs the government employee

#22 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:59 PM

This is why I ask Sheriff Noel.

#23 keep it real

keep it real

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

I agree with everybody else posting on this subject. keep up the good work sheriff and the rest of the Clark County officers.

• Oldgoat likes this

#24 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

This is why I ask Sheriff Noel.

I'm not sure that statute applies since the sheriff isn't of the same body as the fire department. However, I had the impression he had committed to give up the other positions when he was running. It's my understanding he was acting in his capacity as party chair as recently as Thursday.

#25 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

Ok thanks Kelly my biggest concern was really not about the campaign promises. I seen this state statute and didn't want any negative light shining on our CCSO after the last go around. I'm relived thanks again Kelly for your input.

Edited by hillbilly highway, 18 February 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#26 Troglodad

Troglodad

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Hey, at last we got a change. Give all the new folks a chance. It's only February.

#27 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

Perhaps it is only February, but I believe that "promises made" should be "promises kept".  It doesn't take long to resign from a position -- just need to say "I resign" or write a letter of resignation.   Hopefully, if Sheriff Noel hasn't done this yet, he will do so soon.  I would think that being Sheriff would require his undivided attention.  He has started off with a bang in getting things done and I am pleased -- but that shouldn't negate the promises he made while campaigning.

• hillbilly highway likes this

#28 Seasidechick

Seasidechick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

Where did the county get the money to hire a very recent retired ATF agent? What will this person's position be in the sheriff's office?
  • hillbilly highway likes this

#29 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

Perhaps it is only February, but I believe that "promises made" should be "promises kept".  It doesn't take long to resign from a position -- just need to say "I resign" or write a letter of resignation.   Hopefully, if Sheriff Noel hasn't done this yet, he will do so soon.  I would think that being Sheriff would require his undivided attention.  He has started off with a bang in getting things done and I am pleased -- but that shouldn't negate the promises he made while campaigning.

If he is doing a good job and can handle the other positions, more power to him.
If it begins to cause a problem, then make a decision on what to resign from

#30 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Bopper -- I believe being Sheriff is a full time job.  And it is the highest paying job in the County.   If Mr. Noel campaigned telling people he would be a "full-time" sheriff and would resign from his other positions if elected, then I feel he should do just that.   Just my opinion -- but I like to see politicians follow through on the promises they make when running.  Otherwise, they are like most other politicians who just say whatever they think the people want to hear in order to get themselves elected and then basically do whatever they want.   Sure hoping Noel will do the right thing.

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 22 February 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#31 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

IM, I believe the sheriff, the four judges, and the prosecutor are all paid the same rate. The judges are paid by the state and covered by the state's insurance plan. Now do you see why those races are so contested...and nasty? Big $$$$

#32 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

Edited by Savile Row, 23 February 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#33 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

Where did the county get the money to hire a very recent retired ATF agent? What will this person's position be in the sheriff's office?

Sounds like the new sheriff is putting together a good staff

#34 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

[quote name="Seasidechick" post="150474" timestamp="1424615520"]

Where did the county get the money to hire a very recent retired ATF agent? What will this person's position be in the sheriff's office?[/quote

Not sure where the money came from or if it was a replacement of a retired office but I hear he is the 3rd highest ranking officer in Clark county.

Rank order:
J Noel sheriff
Brad Jones chief deputy
Jeff Grohe
Harold Goodlett
Brian Meyers

#35 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

Where did the county get the money to hire a very recent retired ATF agent? What will this person's position be in the sheriff's office?[/quote

Apparently from the same fund that was also used to hire a guy with a criminal record.  Domestic Battery is what is buzzing around.  What is wrong with these police departments ?  Guys beating women, smoking dope,etc.  I know nothing is perfect in our world but aren't public employees especially in the law enforcement field supposed to be held to a higher standard ?

Edited by Mr. Gray, 24 April 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#36 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

Mr. Gray, you keep forgetting this is Clark county.....
  • Mr. Gray likes this

#37 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Mr. Gray, you keep forgetting this is Clark county.....

Good one !   :shifty:

#38 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

As far as the buddies, supporters, etc., getting jobs and benefits, good for them. If they are law abiding and work for their salary where is the problem! What a huge, vast improvement over the last administration. Not sure we may not see some additional legal causalities from the old administration. Not all of the criminals were inmates!

#39 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

There seems to be a fair number of fire fighters introduced into the sheriff's Office either as reserve officers on the road, or as employees. But hey, if they are truly qualified, meet the hire standards for police and corrections, have a clean record, are the right choice for the community, and want a change in profession, who am I to judge. Every administration in history has brought in their own people.

However, I had hoped the people of Clark County would finally elect someone honest enough to follow through on his campaign promises, run the department as it's supposed to be run (with qualified police and corrections personnel) AND improve the department. Time will tell if we actually achieved all of that!

#40 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

There seems to be a fair number of fire fighters introduced into the sheriff's Office either as reserve officers on the road, or as employees. But hey, if they are truly qualified, meet the hire standards for police and corrections, have a clean record, are the right choice for the community, and want a change in profession, who am I to judge. Every administration in history has brought in their own people.

However, I had hoped the people of Clark County would finally elect someone honest enough to follow through on his campaign promises, run the department as it's supposed to be run (with qualified police and corrections personnel) AND improve the department. Time will tell if we actually achieved all of that!

Apparently one of the last two new hires has a serious issue with a clean record.  Question for the ones in the know, how can this guy investigate a wife beating case ?  Have to admit I didn't come up with this question it came up in another conversation but an answer should be interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users