28 replies to this topic

#1 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

Congrats to Tom D and all others who have worked hard to expose Clarksville's gang of 4 . Your hard work has paid off, none of the gang are running for reelection.  CONGRATS TO ALL

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Congrats to Tom D and all others who have worked hard to expose Clarksville's gang of 4 . Your hard work has paid off, none of the gang are running for reelection.  CONGRATS TO ALL

Did other democrats file to run for those seats, or will the gang just be caucused at a later date?

#3 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Probably plotting to hijack the towns water supply or some other method of extortion.......I have a hard time believing they are just gonna ride off into the sunset without some kinda BS.

Now more than ever a careful eye should be kept.

Edited by littletommy, 06 February 2015 - 04:47 PM.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#4 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

Tina, I don't have the slate in front of me but an insider said  that dems had filed for all seats. Good news is none were gang members.  But my guess is there could be some candidates with....strings attached....time will tell....

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

Just, WOW!  This is news breaking.  Hope there's no caucusing involved with the gang o' 4! 

#6 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

I'm surprised this news hasn't garnered more comments...and where is TomD when we need his input?  :D

I'm not totally surprised by Kraft and Tetley's decision since both won the last election by a narrow margin thanks to that nasty old town-wide voting. If district-wide voting has been in place during the last election, both would have lost to younger republicans. This way they both go out as winners (well sort of) by their own choice rather than as losers by the voters' choice. I am a bit surprise that Polston isn't running again, unless he realizes he's hurt his chances of winning again by refusing to take a stand on fair voting. Popp... I kind of had a feeling he wouldn't run again, partly due to the ego thing; preferring to be remembered as a winner (of sorts) than a loser. On the other hand, I don't think he is done with town politics. I believe littletommy is right in his post #3 above...now more than ever a careful eye should be kept.

It looks like there are democrats running for every seat on the town council.

• Donna and littletommy like this

#7 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Sometimes, when you're facing an imminent defeat, it's better to bow out gracefully than to suffer the embarrassment.  Is this what has happened?  We'll never know.  We just need to be satisfied to know that there will be new faces on the council in less than a year.

It looks like there are democrats running for every seat on the town council.

The dems have put forth some previously defeated candidates, some connected to the Gang of 4, and some connected to both the Clique and the Gang of four.  Look the dem candidates over very carefully...If you want more of the insanity you've had in the past, go ahead and elect some of these candidates.  There are, however, some good dems in the race, but they are few.   Overall, the dems have fielded a weak group of 'used-to-bes' and Gang of 4 surrogates.  It's sad to see.

Edited by TomD, 07 February 2015 - 08:41 PM.

• Mr. Gray and littletommy like this

#8 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Sometimes, when you're facing an imminent defeat, it's better to bow out gracefully than to suffer the embarrassment.  Is this what has happened?  We'll never know.  We just need to be satisfied to know that there will be new faces on the council in less than a year.

The dems have put forth some previously defeated candidates, some connected to the Gang of 4, and some connected to both the Clique and the Gang of four.  Look the dem candidates over very carefully...If you want more of the insanity you've had in the past, go ahead and elect some of these candidates.  There are, however, some good dems in the race, but they are few.   Overall, the dems have fielded a weak group of 'used-to-bes' and Gang of 4 surrogates.  It's sad to see.

It's so sad it is ridiculous.  One candidate and former gangster was over the Street Department when allot of the theft and political bullying occurred as mentioned in other threads here.  Allot of connections to the old guard ARE  running. The democratic party in Clarksville is a joke. 

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

Didn't want to be Lugar'd.

#10 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:11 AM

Didn't want to be Lugar'd.

(as in primaried and BEAT)

#11 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

John Gilkey can be thanked for much of this!  He has consistently exhibited a commitment to honesty and the people that elected him.  I think they could deal with threats from Republicans but honesty and a refusal to play the game from another Democrat took them completely off guard. 

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Tina and 1 other like this

#12 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

Old Goat

I believe the hard working people of Clarksville can be thanked for much of this.

The more the Community has become involved the better.

I do like Mr. Gilkey, I believe he has help on the way in at least one candidate.  

Clarksville can continue to get better and better.  Clarksville is still the envy of our

neighbors.  Business, Parks, Aquatics centers, Golf and schools.  I believe C ville

folks should be proud.

#13 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

Sleepy, there is no criticism whatsoever intended by this observation, and I am presenting no position in terms of those filing for office and those who chose not to file for office.

I would like to point out that the constant criticism by many on this forum (I am not indicating whether or not you are one of those) of the four Town Council members in question followed by the comment that Clarksville has a lot to be proud of and continues to be the envy of our neighbors (paraphrasing) seems incredibly contradictory.

Something quite similar was said by a legislator this week when she (Representative Austin, from Anderson) said public education is alive and well in Indiana while at the same time she has done nothing but criticize the education reforms ushered through under the Daniels administration. 

My observation is that whether we like our government leaders or not, or want them defeated in an election, we should take a moment to recognize the good they did while serving.

#14 Victor Truth

Victor Truth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

Holy Cow
I have to disagree. Politics are always contradictory
In nature. The way I read it was while some may be glad
Incumbents are not running let us not bash ALL of Clarksville.
The community and its residents have a lot to be proud of.

I for one am happy the Jeffersonville City Council and the Clarksville
Town Council will have an influx of new leaders.

I hope everyone studies the new people and their backgrounds.

#15 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Edited by Savile Row, 08 February 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#16 Victor Truth

Victor Truth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Not sure I agree about Weak Dems

Education?
Leadership?
Experience?
Community Service?
Family?

Define Weak..

#17 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

John Gilkey can be thanked for much of this!  He has consistently exhibited a commitment to honesty and the people that elected him.  I think they could deal with threats from Republicans but honesty and a refusal to play the game from another Democrat took them completely off guard. 

IMO, John's commitment to honesty and the people that elected him are the very things that put him at odds sometimes with his fellow Dems on the council.  I think they were surprised that he did not go along without questioning.  I consider John to be one of the good guys.

Edited by TomD, 08 February 2015 - 01:53 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Oldgoat and 2 others like this

#18 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Not sure I agree about Weak Dems

Education?
Leadership?
Experience?
Community Service?
Family?

Define Weak..

Thanks for calling me out for the use of the word 'weak'.  As a judge would say "Strike that from the record."  My bad.  Sorry.  Misspoke.  I take it back. 

I stand by this revised statement, though "There are, however, some good dems in the race, but they are few.  Overall, the dems have fielded a group of 'used-to-bes' and Gang of 4 surrogates.  It's sad to see." 

It remains to be seen if some of them are weak or not.

#19 Victor Truth

Victor Truth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

I like revised statement. I just hate to see people painted with
A broad brush. I see a few good democrats and a few stinkers.

On the Repub side I see a few good candidates and a few stinkers.

Judge each person on their own merit, get informed go vote
And Clarksville will be in good hands.

#20 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

It shouldn't be too hard to do some checking and see where the loyalties lie with most/all of the candidates. It's a really good opportunity to rid the town of the old guard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users