23 replies to this topic

#21 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:27 AM

Oh... I wasn't aware the paper ballot was going away. I thought it would be printed when you cast your vote. and the fact that we wouldn't have to preprint ballots would be where the money is saved.  I thought what they said was that preprinting so that you have more than enough at each precinct was where the waste is.

Perhaps I misunderstood what they were saying.  I was surprised we would spend $50,000 on the extra ballots that don't ever get used. 

I don't want to get rid of paper ballots. No way.

• kelley, Oldgoat and Donna like this

#22 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

No, Snowman, you heard right.  The sum total of pre-printed ballots was stated as being $48,000.  The number of pre-printed ballots are based on that district's registered voters.  (Don't want to turn anyone away because we don't have enough ballots.) 

I just don't see how this is a deal for voters/taxpayers.  The honeymoon fee of $104,000 for one year, that would also require new equipment to read the print-by-demand ballots, seems to be a wash.  And, you know the price WILL go up in subsequent years. 

I would think that streamlining the number of voting polls while maintaining the ease and brevity of the voters time would save us more without having to buy new equipment.  Plus, our current system does leave a paper trail.

• GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#23 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

Right, we'd save money by purchasing the machine that prints ballots on demand.
The issue is then that we need all new machines to READ those new ballots.
  • Donna likes this

#24 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Floyd's touch screen machines spit out a paper record that the voter then feeds through a reader to complete the process.  I assume the paper documents are retained.  This system is intended to eliminate voter errors such as those discovered in the recent Clerk's race recount (wrong color ink, failure to fully connect arrows, etc.).    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users