23 replies to this topic

#1 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

I know some Indiana counties have gone to using voting centers... Has Clark County decided this is the way to go?  Will there be any kind of pilot project to see how it works?

#2 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

I don't know but after seeing the mess it created in Floyd County I'd be concerned if we were moving that way in Clark... 

• GrumpyGranny and Oldgoat like this

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

I don't know but after seeing the mess it created in Floyd County I'd be concerned if we were moving that way in Clark... 

The voting machines guy is the one lobbying hard for it.  

They try to use "cost savings" as the reason.  He's supposed to have numbers at the next commissioner meeting on Nov 12th.  

• Donna likes this

#4 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

The voting machines guy is the one lobbying hard for it.  

They try to use "cost savings" as the reason.  He's supposed to have numbers at the next commissioner meeting on Nov 12th.  

I fear the end result in Floyd County will be fewer voters taking time to vote... after the last election fiasco some will sit it out until they know they can vote in a reasonable amount of time. 

• karen and Tina like this

#5 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:31 PM

If I recall correctly, according to the last commissioner meeting - going to "on demand" ballots will save the county just under $50,000 an election.

Of course, in order to go to that system, we need all new machines.

#6 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

The N&T had a story today about how they need a lot more voting machines, in Floyd County.

http://www.newsandtr...9230d35c78.html

Edited by snowman, 04 February 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#7 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

It has been proven that vote centers, if done properly, are the most cost effective and cost saving.
The most important issue is to set them up properly. They will make it much harder to manipulate and to cheat.
By counting all absentee ballots at one central location, voter registration, adds another barrier to cheating.
This would assure that all voters are being treated fairly.

#8 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

We are indeed looking into the vote centers. I main thing we are reviewing now is what went wrong in Floyd co. With any new process are glitches. If we learn from things that went wrong in Floyd and other counties that have gone to vote centers we can have a better experience.

#9 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

I main thing we are reviewing now is what went wrong in Floyd co. With any new process are glitches. 

That wasn't a glitch... that was an unmitigated disaster... it was an inexcusable burden forced on the voters via incompetence... 

• Donna likes this

#10 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

And I will not accept repeating such incompetence. We will find out what works and what does not and not repeat the mistakes.
  • GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#11 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

It has been proven that vote centers, if done properly, are the most cost effective and cost saving.
The most important issue is to set them up properly. They will make it much harder to manipulate and to cheat.
By counting all absentee ballots at one central location, voter registration, adds another barrier to cheating.
This would assure that all voters are being treated fairly.

Do you have any links to any studies done on this?

I'm not opposed to reducing the # of polling places.  It seems ridiculous to me to have 4 polling places (all with individual poll workers) within a quarter mile of each other.  They could easily condense and maybe keep 4 clerks instead of 8, 2 judges, and 1 inspector.  That right there saves expense and reduces the # of volunteers needed.

But common sense says that if Clark does it like Floyd did and utilizes, what, 2-4 weeks of early voting at each of those locations, I fail to see how it really saves anything?

Right now, you have the courthouse for early voting and 72 precincts each with 2 clerks, 2 judges, & 1 inspector on election day.  So 5X72=360 workers + clerk staff.

Let's say you go to 10 vote centers but open them for 20 days (4 weeks x 5 days).  You would still have 2 clerks, 2 judges and 1 inspector for each location so that's 50 workers each day.  50x20=1000

?????  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

• Donna likes this

#12 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

Honestly we are not that far along Tina. There are many other issues going on now that are taking precidence. When I get into it more I will post it
  • Pesty Version 2 likes this

#13 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

I recall the voting machine salesman saying that it would save approximately $50,000 with on demand ballots that can only be read by the new machines, and that the first year trial is a mere $104,000.  He did not say how much it would cost in subsequent elections/years.  It was pointed out that Clark County spent approximately $48,000 on ballots.  Seems like a wash to me.

I agree with Tina, that we have too many precincts too close together.  I work Precinct 2 and we are just a few blocks away from Preservation Station (Precinct 1) and, not too far from Maple Elementary that has (I think) two precincts.  Seems to me that these four precincts could be centrally located under one roof (Nachand Fieldhouse, maybe) and streamline the costs with fewer poll workers, plenty of space and access to the voters. 

After the Floyd County fiasco, I'm not sure it's wise to jump in on the newest and greatest voting machines. 

#14 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

I don't mind new machines, but I will raise unGodly amounts of hell if Clark ever tries to go paperless altogether.

I think that was part of the waiting problem in Floyd. People didn't understand the touchscreen machines and some probably took much longer than normal.  With our current ballots you can have any number of people voting at one time so long as they have privacy & a marker.  With the touchscreens, you have NO CHOICE but to be limited by the # of machines.

Last I saw they [Floyd] are claiming they need 86 more.  Sounds quite pricey...

Edited by Tina, 04 February 2015 - 05:45 PM.

• kelley, Quasar and Donna like this

#15 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

I don't mind new machines, but I will raise unGodly amounts of hell if Clark ever tries to go paperless altogether.

I think that was part of the waiting problem in Floyd. People didn't understand the touchscreen machines and some probably took much longer than normal.  With our current ballots you can have any number of people voting at one time so long as they have privacy & a marker.  With the touchscreens, you have NO CHOICE but to be limited by the # of machines.

Last I saw they [Floyd] are claiming they need 86 more.  Sounds quite pricey...

The touch screen machines sounds like a step backwards to me... reminds of years ago and the mechanical machines... I like to take my time when voting... I don't like the feeling of people lined up behind me having to wait until I'm through with a machine...

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#16 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

Well, here in Clark County, some voters don't understand the concept of "complete the arrow."  I can't imagine a problem with touch screens.  Bwa! Ha! Ha!

• GrumpyGranny, Oldgoat, Tina and 1 other like this

#17 totty

totty

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

There are different machines than Floyd used.....and yes a paper trail can be made....bottom line though is it is slower and everyone would have to wait their turn. That's why you start out with more than necessary and whittle down after you see how it goes not like Floyd did.

#18 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:48 AM

Whittle it down?  You mean like they did in Floyd County? 

I guess I'm old school.  Clark County's system may not be cutting edge, it may not be conveniently stored (they apparently don't stack well), but it does serve the voters and the community. 

• karen likes this

#19 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:03 AM

We are indeed looking into the vote centers. I main thing we are reviewing now is what went wrong in Floyd co. With any new process are glitches. If we learn from things that went wrong in Floyd and other counties that have gone to vote centers we can have a better experience.

I'd be interested to know, besides the horrible election day "glitches"  that happened in Floyd, did they save any money at all? i read somewhere they needed something like 85 more voting machines than what they had to use in the election.

• Tina likes this

#20 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

I'd be interested to know, besides the horrible election day "glitches"  that happened in Floyd, did they save any money at all? i read somewhere they needed something like 85 more voting machines than what they had to use in the election.

Right, with the same number of machines (or more) than they had before and if we have early voting at all the centers - I really don't think "saving money" is going to be an easy sell.  Even in the meeting it was admitted ballots would save $50,000 an election.  I'm not willing to forego paper ballots just for that little of savings.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users