108 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

I went to the County Commissioners meeting tonight where they were supposed to name two oversight board members for taxpayers on appeals for property valuation.  Problem was that they had THREE names.  Although it is a three board member, the County Council gets to name TWO.  City Council gets to name the third member.  Two county nominees have been on the board, one for a year, the other two years, but none of the commissioners knew their expertise or party affiliations.  (There is a state statute for party parity.)  They just knew that these two men had served on that board over the last year or two.  Ready to re-up these two, along comes someone with 15 years experience as a real estate agent AND State Certified level 3 as an Assessor/Appraiser.  Gee!   Our Commissioners had to table the vote until next time they meet.  Could it be that the third candidate was there and knew the statutes and requirements? 

• IntegrityMatters and Diogenes like this

#2 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

.....sounds like they don't want the MOST qualified person to serve...

• kelley and Donna like this

#3 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

i was at that meeting also Donna, and i was stunned at the apparent lack of preparation... especially i think it was Coffman saying how board appointments are some of the hardest things they have  to do.  he did apologize but geez...

Edited by snowman, 30 January 2015 - 05:47 AM.

#4 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

Correction of my previous post:  The County Commissioners get two appointments and the County Council has one appointment.

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

Are there any criteria those appointing to this board are supposed to follow?

#6 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

There is supposed to be representation of both Dems & Pubs when possible.  The other two nominees appear to both be Dems and I think the County Council appointee is also a Dem.  The Commissioners said they would check with the voting records to confirm as one was known to be a Dem and the other had listed himself as an Independent.  None of the Commissioners knew what experience or qualifications the two gentlemen had, just that one had previously served on the board for 2 (+?) years and the other for one year.  If this is truly an oversight board for taxpayers to appeal assessment value, candidates that have the experience and certification of Level 3 to be an appraiser/assessor would be named to the board. 

• kelley likes this

#7 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:17 AM

I was there also and was stunned to see the lack of preparation on the part of the commissioners -- not just on this issue but on others as well.  Even their attorney seemed ill-prepared.   They knew going in that they had 3 candidates for the PTA board and could only appoint 2 yet they did not know the qualifications of the other 2 candidates or what party they belonged to or even what the rules are for appointing people to this board.  If I were the commissioners or their attorney, I would be embarrassed.  It was pretty bad. 

Neither one of the other two candidates was at the meeting --- there was also no one there in support of their appointment --- the commissioners could give no valid reason for voting against the 3rd candidate who has a level 3 certification.   The one commissioner who voted against her did so rather sheepishly --- first he raised his hand "half-way" and then when the president said "so the vote is  "2 1/2", he then decided to lower his hand and vote no.   Why would someone vote against a highly qualified candidate in favor of someone they didn't even know anything about?   It boggles my mind.   The commissioners -- especially the one who voted against -- should be embarrassed and ashamed.

• snowman, Donna and Diogenes like this

#8 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

I heard something about comments made at the meeting concerning input being sought from department heads on these appointments, and it's a little confusing.

Donna described this as an oversight board. Whom does it oversee?

Edited by GrumpyGranny, 31 January 2015 - 08:33 AM.
edited because Kelley can't spell... :)

#9 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

my guess...  oversight of assessments, to monitor and keep the county from dealing with appeals process that could ensue from a bad one?

#10 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

So they oversee the assessor?

From which department heads were they soliciting input?

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Vicky Kent-Haire (a Dem).  If a property owner gets a value assessment they don't agree with, this is the board that would make that determination.  My home has been assessed a value that I wish I could get on the real estate market!  Of course, the assessment gave my home MANY amenities it doesn't have! 

#12 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

I don't think they solicited any input.  These two gentlemen had served the board the last year or so, and I think they were content with that.  Somebody else (however, the commissioners knew they had three candidates BEFORE the meeting) shows up with the experience, background and certification to ably serve the taxpayers, and, well, they tabled it for the next meeting. 

Have you ever seen a possum caught in the headlights? 

#13 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

Let me guess.....the person with the level three assessor/appraisal rating is Tina. Tina ran against Vicki for the assessor position and came in a few votes short. Now Tina has applied for this position and the commissioners are looking for some way that they can overlook naming her to the position. Am I correct??????

If I'm correct it is time for some people to grow up. If Tina had the qualifications to seek the assessor office then she is probably the most qualified for this position. This position should not be a popularity contest, pick the best qualified people and move forward.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, snowman and 3 others like this

#14 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

She is the most qualified for this position.
  • Donna likes this

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Learning new things today...

I'm now hearing the county council appointment, which came at the express request of the assessor, to this same board violates state statute. It appears they are required by state law to appoint someone with specific assessor certifications but haven't done so. I've also been told it has been brought to council members' attention to no avail. Their explanations appear to boil down to it not being politically expedient to rock the boat.

On a related note, it's not always obvious that another party has taken control of Clark County government. Some days have strong hints of business as usual.
  • Donna likes this

#16 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

This is interesting, and the last sentence is nerve-wracking when thinking of the potential costs to taxpayers.

http://m.thenewsdisp...4.html?mode=jqm

Edited by kelley, 30 January 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#17 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Learning new things today...

I'm now hearing the county council appointment, which came at the express request of the assessor, to this same board violates state statute. It appears they are required by state law to appoint someone with specific assessor certifications but haven't done so. I've also been told it has been brought to council members' attention to no avail. Their explanations appear to boil down to it not being politically expedient to rock the boat.

On a related note, it's not always obvious that another party has taken control of Clark County government. Some days have strong hints of business as usual.

ain't it just... same ol.  they can't really dodge a state statute though, can they? 

#18 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

You guys wanna take the defeated opponent and set her on a board to review the decisions of the person who beat her.  Yeah....that works.

• Jeff all my Life likes this

#19 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

You guys wanna take the defeated opponent and set her on a board to review the decisions of the person who beat her.  Yeah....that works.

Sure, why not? She's got the knowledge and qualifications to do the job, and I believe she is ethical enough to do the job fairly and not use the position to "get back" at the assessor for winning the election.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Not Super But Honest Mike and 2 others like this

#20 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Just because someone loses an election doesn't mean they have nothing to offer.  There were several thousand people who voted for her -- it was a close election.  Tina would be an excellent addition to the board --- and the ONLY one who is fully qualified.  Plus the others are all of the same party --- according to the law it should consist of members of both parties.  And we do care about the law, don't we??

• Diogenes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users