Photo

Reader Troubled by Officials comments per N/T (Popp Again)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Diogenes

Diogenes

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

Having upgraded 2 major departmental heads in the past 4 years, I can think of no other time in my 24 years of involvement in our town's activities that the quality of our services has been so good.   Thus, I’m deeply troubled by Mr. Bob Popp's latest shenanigans at the 1/20/15 town council meeting.

Again, he entered into politics instead of addressing the town’s needs. This former teacher of government “cautioned” department heads and town employees about possibly having their pictures taken at a Republican fundraising event and placed on Facebook and other such venues while intimating it might not be in their best interest to attend.

Hearing this, I wondered how Mr. Popp  instructed our young impressionable minds as to the meaning of the First Amendment.  To refresh your memory, it allows for freedom of speech, expression, assembly and so forth.  Intimidation and threats just don’t hack it.  I personally take offense that my caretakers (the town employees and their services) could possibly be affected by your non-governmental service comments.  In fact, Mr. Popp, would you appreciate someone threatening your livelihood and providing for your family?

Now, while I don’t think you will, I hope you don’t “caution” department heads and employees that it might not be in their best interests if they don’t buy tickets to the Democrat Pig Roast.  I hope I don’t hear anything about each of them having to sell 10 tickets so they can continue to provide for their families.     

Mr. Popp, I pray this is value to you and you get back to addressing issues that involve our welfare.

John Krueger

Attached File  NewsandTribune Popp Comments.pdf   327.81KB   8 downloads

Any thoughts or opinion as to how this behavior of Elected Official can so blatantly brazen of 1st Amendment Rights and still be in office?

• Mr. Gray, miami vice, chewing the fat and 1 other like this

#2 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

Excellent observation Mr. Krueger.  In the past these type of threats and practices were always hidden from the public.  In my opinion some have been in so long and in their mind untouchable so they can say and do as they want, prime example being Mr. Popp.  Or could it be a little panic is in the air due to some well needed pressure and competition?

Seems that Mr. Popp and is statements as of late are showing what he truly is, an old school politician whose ideas and thinking is a throwback to somewhere in the 60's or 70's that just doesn't get it anymore (of course he is not alone with this mentality). We can only hope the voters of Clarksville see the light this time around and remove him and his merry band of followers that are making the fine town of Clarksville look like a corrupt poitical ran machine of days gone by.

• TomD and chewing the fat like this

#3 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

Intimidation is how "Good "ol Boy" politics keeps it's grip on power.

• Tina likes this

#4 miami vice

miami vice

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

Mr. Krueger nailed it....once again! I, too, hope that the people of this town see what this "Gang of 4" is perpetrating on the citizens. Another name for Popp would be "Little Hitler." He also reminds me of Harry Reid.......ugh!!

#5 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

Again, he entered into politics instead of addressing the town’s needs. This former teacher of government “cautioned” department heads and town employees about possibly having their pictures taken at a Republican fundraising event and placed on Facebook and other such venues while intimating it might not be in their best interest to attend.

Seems to me like they didn't take heed because the room was packed. I was pleasantly OVER surprised by the turn out.  Also, the food was so great people donated quite a bit of money to pay for it.  :thumbsup:

#6 James-R-McClure-Jr

James-R-McClure-Jr

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Peace, Diogenes,

The Framers considered the Freedoms to speak out against one's government and assemble politically to be so important that they enshrined those Freedoms in the first of all the Amendments to the Constitution.  Bob Popp does a great disservice to his constituents and the town of Clarksville when he admonishes citizens against exercising their Freedoms of Speech and Assembly.  Councliman Popp owes his constituents and the town of Clarksville a sincere, public apology and a retraction of his previous comments.

#7 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

Peace, Diogenes,

The Framers considered the Freedoms to speak out against one's government and assemble politically to be so important that they enshrined those Freedoms in the first of all the Amendments to the Constitution.  Bob Popp does a great disservice to his constituents and the town of Clarksville when he admonishes citizens against exercising their Freedoms of Speech and Assembly.  Councliman Popp owes his constituents and the town of Clarksville a sincere, public apology and a retraction of his previous comments.

Agreed, but never gonna happen. I look for things to get even uglier with these guys seemingly being backed into a corner. I'm also gonna go ahead and say the dirty tricks on election day will reach an all time high, and that's saying something, considering we're talking about Clarksville politics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users