• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

It appeared that councilman popp was about to blow a gasket at last night's meeting as he warned department heads and employees not to attend a candidate 'meet and greet' fundraiser sponsored by the Clarksville GOP.  It appeared to be intimidation at it's finest [worst].  popp continues to show his partisan political extremism...he just can't help himself, apparently.  Is thug politics at work in the town council chamber?

popp indicated it might not be a good thing if department heads and other town employees were seen shaking hands with 'certain people', and there might be photographers there, and their pics might be on Facebook or one of those other sites, and, and...the tirade went on and on. 

But let me back up a few years.  For many years in the past, the Clarksville Democrat Town Committee (the group that paid for an admitted vote fraud felon to help with the Dems 'win-at-all-costs'  paranoia in 2011) has held a pig roast to raise funds for the party.  Town department heads and employees were intimidated into buying the $10 tickets.  Some people were handed 10 of the tickets and told to sell them, or give them away and pay for the tickets themselves.  They were expected to pay for 10 tickets no matter what they did with them.  Town department heads and employees were expected to 'pony up' to support popp and the incumbent Democrats.  popp and his pals have remained silent about this practice.

Which brings us back to the present.  While the fund raising and support was for popp and his pals, all was okay.  Now that it appears the shoe is on the other foot and popp's opponents might benefit, he feels it necessary to attempt to intimidate department heads and employees.  

I guess we can only wait and see which ones take heed of popp's threat.  Some will have the conviction to show up at the 'meet and greet'...some will surely take the threat to heart and stay away. 

Can you guess who the real Town Bully might be?

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Mr. Gray and 4 others like this

#2 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

Crazy......Paranoia.

• Tina likes this

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

Tomorrow night at 7, right?  What time do you think it will end?  I'm wanting to hear Jim Smith talk about this session in Indy tomorrow night, but might come by after that!

#4 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

Tomorrow night at 7, right?  What time do you think it will end?  I'm wanting to hear Jim Smith talk about this session in Indy tomorrow night, but might come by after that!

Thursday, Jan. 22, 2015, doors open at 7PM.  Clark County REMC, 7810 Hwy. 60, Sellersburg, IN, 47172.  Questions? Contact: 812-697-5093.

I wouldn't think it would last much longer than 1 1/2 hours, maybe 2 hours...probably depends on how many citizens show up to meet and question the candidates. 

You've asked for fresh faces and honest people on your council.  This might be the opportunity to meet some people that offer just what you're looking for. 

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Tina and 1 other like this

#5 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Is this for all candidates or just Republican candidates?

#6 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

Is this for all candidates or just Republican candidates?

From my original post:

It appeared that councilman popp was about to blow a gasket at last night's meeting as he warned department heads and employees not to attend a candidate 'meet and greet' fundraiser sponsored by the Clarksville GOP.

So this is a GOP fundraising event.  I don't believe candidates from other parties were invited to be part of the official activities.  However, some might be there...I think popp said last night that he had not made up his mind if he would attend or not.   :shifty:  

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#7 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

I was just wondering...

Were town employees and Department heads also warned and intimidated by popp not to attend the past Democratic pig roast fundraisers?  If so, I know a lot of them disobeyed. 

Does someone out there in Chatterland know the answer? 

#8 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

As a lifelong Clarksville resident, I've heard all the stories about town employees more or less being forced to attend dem functions. I find it odd, and pretty pathetic, as well, that ANY elected official would use a town council meeting to warn people to stay away from this event. Sounds like maybe the old guard is getting jittery and desperate. It's also a good indicator of just how arrogant these people have gotten, and the blame for that can be placed directly on all of us, for letting it get this out of hand. Time to take out the trash Clarksville!

• GrumpyGranny, Mr. Gray, TomD and 1 other like this

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

I agree, he would have been better off to remain quiet on the topic.  This just wreaks of fear!  

#10 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

As a lifelong Clarksville resident, I've heard all the stories about town employees more or less being forced to attend dem functions. I find it odd, and pretty pathetic, as well, that ANY elected official would use a town council meeting to warn people to stay away from this event. Sounds like maybe the old guard is getting jittery and desperate. It's also a good indicator of just how arrogant these people have gotten, and the blame for that can be placed directly on all of us, for letting it get this out of hand. Time to take out the trash Clarksville!

The main character behind this behavior over the years is still employed by the town.  They didn't take that piece of trash out last time.

• Not Super But Honest Mike and miami vice like this

#11 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

The gang leader can talk and bluster all he wants. I can recall if attempts to intimidate another citizen on his vote, or whom he is seen with, is a violation of civil rights. However, should he choose to act on such threat if a town employee does appear, then, as a government teacher, he should know its no holds barred. Civil rights and Constitutional violations will rain down on anyone taking that tact.

The election really hasn't even started yet, and we're already to the ridiculous and petty.

I'd love to see a list of all the wayward motions, ideas, and gneneral hissy fits put forth by Popp over the last several years. There has been so many that its hard to recall them all. I'd say the same about Kraft and Tetly...but they hardly ever comment on any vote of the council. Polston has only been around four years but he follows the lead of Popp. Also, his inaction has cost the voters their fair say on who represents them in this election. It's always fun to have a leader that doesn't lead. I've always liked the saying of "lead, follow, or get out of the way!"

As a democrat, I find it intolerable to put up with this kind of thing. It's shameful and disgusting for Popp to make threats that, legally, he would not take the town into a money bath when the lawsuits start to fly. Unbelievable!

• GrumpyGranny, Donna, Sleepy and 1 other like this

#12 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

Article in today's NT; written by Matt Koesters...http://www.newsandtr...7103ad9de9.html

The article begins:  CLARKSVILLE — One day after the nation celebrated the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., a different King was invoked at Tuesday’s Clarksville Town Council meeting.

“Why can’t we just get along?” asked council President Bob Polston, quoting Rodney King, a central figure to the 1992 race riots in Los Angeles.

Hurt feelings among the council’s members led to suggestions for changes to the way the body does business, but no new policies will be implemented until the council discusses two proposals at a Feb. 16 work session.

But that is a subject best left to a different thread. The final section of the article concerns what TomD posted in post #1 of this thread. The last section of this article, entitled "A WORD OF CAUTION" , says "Popp also warned Republicans on the council not to invite town employees to their political events."  The article goes on with the usual Popp stuff...what kind of expectations would be put on the department heads if they attended the event; how will the department heads feel when people see the employees pics on social media..

Well, Popp I am a person who lives in Clarksville. If I meet any of our department heads tonight, or see by pics on Facebook that they attended tonight's event, I will be glad to meet them, and glad to see they are taking the opportunity to meet our republican councilmen and others new to politics who are running. Why shouldn't they meet others, hear what they have to say? How should they feel about attending? They should feel good that they went out and educated themselves on other points of view on issues concerning our town.

You see, Popp, yours isn't the only point of view that counts. I would assume our department heads, and employees, are pretty smart people, so why wouldn't they want to look at other points of view, too?

Oh, yeah, there is also a section of the article which ends with “You still want a town manager?” Popp said. For yet another thread...  

• kelley, Not Super But Honest Mike, Donna and 1 other like this

#13 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

I also want to take a moment to thank the News Tribune and Matt Koesters for the articles they have been writing about Carksville and it's many issues. Hubby has the newspaper delivered, I read it online, and we both look forward to reading it "my way"!

Thanks, NT, Shea, Matt...

• kelley, miami vice, Tina and 3 others like this

#14 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

I also want to take a moment to thank the News Tribune and Matt Koesters for the articles they have been writing about Carksville and it's many issues. Hubby has the newspaper delivered, I read it online, and we both look forward to reading it "my way"!

Thanks, NT, Shea, Matt...

I'm also a subscriber.  

I encourage everyone local to subscribe to keep them in business!!

• GrumpyGranny, snowman, Donna and 1 other like this

#15 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Ok, after just coming off a county race where it was like pulling teeth to get people to come to a meet the candidate event... wow.  Tonight when my dad and I were pulling into the parking lot I couldn't believe the number of cars there.  I thought for sure there must have been another event going on at the same time.  Nope.  Clarksville Republicans packed the house!

Way to go!  :thumbsup:

Now I know why the gang is scared!!

• GrumpyGranny and miami vice like this

#16 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

Yes there was a good turnout! Chris and I were there for the first hour, and did hear the introductions. I'm glad we went so that I can put a face to the candidates' names, and know at least a little about them. I'm sure I'll learn more about them as the campaigning continues.

Sorry we missed seeing you, Tina.

#17 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

Yes there was a good turnout! Chris and I were there for the first hour, and did hear the introductions. I'm glad we went so that I can put a face to the candidates' names, and know at least a little about them. I'm sure I'll learn more about them as the campaigning continues.

Sorry we missed seeing you, Tina.

Well if more people were coming and going as the event went on it was even better than I saw!  :thumbsup:  I wanted to hear Jim Smith talk about this legislative session first.  People were still there at 9 when we left!

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#18 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

WOW!  JUST WOW!

The meet and greet was attended by over 125 people, in addition to candidates and their spouses/significant others.  Thousands of dollars in donations were received, with commitments to donate more.  There were multiple promises to volunteer time and talent to help change Clarksville.  People did not leave until the cleaning crew politely indicated they needed to lock up and go home (about 9:45PM).  To say there was interest would be one of the most understated facts I've heard in a long time.  Clarksville folks seem ready for some serious change in our elected officials, and the candidates seem ready to get to work.

popp's threats, intimidation, and warnings didn't stop town employees from attending...in fact, it might have steeled the resolve of some.  Several told me directly that they refused to be bullied into staying away.  Although I'm sure some employees and town vendors stayed away because of the intimidation, it seemed to have little effect on others.  Perhaps the old style 'bully and threaten' master has lost his control?   

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Tina and 2 others like this

#19 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

So  who are the candidates??

#20 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

I spoke with Hauber this morning, and he was very happy with the turnout, just wish I coulda made it. Heard there was a great turnout from the Police Dept and Fire. I'll make the next one for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users