• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

If you really, really, want one, goat...move to Kentucky.  No restrictions.  You can even own a 50 cal for home defense.

Nobody should have to move to exercise their God given rights...

I legally own a 50 cal... I don't consider it a home defense weapon though...  :thumbsup:

• jiyabird likes this

#22 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

It has no other use but to kill people.  It has no value for hunting or sport shooting.  The National Firearms Act of 1934 didn't outlaw sawed off shotguns or machine guns, but made it difficult to sell or own them without them being registered.  These two particular weapons were widely used by gangs at the time and were very effective at killing people but, had little or no other purpose.  They were restricted because they are considered "dangerous and unusual weapons"  They were also very effective at killing law enforcement at the time.  I expect the same holds true today.  The same legislation banned grenades. 

But, as I said, you're entitled to your opinion too.  I see very effective alternatives for personal protection.

God didn't give you the right to own guns.  The Second Amendment does.  And the Supreme Court decided that some weapons are reasonably restricted.

#23 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

So you don't think we need to protect our homes? 

Never said that.

#24 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:17 AM

It has no other use but to kill people.  It has no value for hunting or sport shooting.  The National Firearms Act of 1934 didn't outlaw sawed off shotguns or machine guns, but made it difficult to sell or own them without them being registered.  These two particular weapons were widely used by gangs at the time and were very effective at killing people but, had little or no other purpose.  They were restricted because they are considered "dangerous and unusual weapons"  They were also very effective at killing law enforcement at the time.  I expect the same holds true today.  The same legislation banned grenades. 

But, as I said, you're entitled to your opinion too.  I see very effective alternatives for personal protection.

God didn't give you the right to own guns.  The Second Amendment does.  And the Supreme Court decided that some weapons are reasonably restricted.

I didn't realize that criminals actually considered laws when selecting their weapons... hell, we should try that with... drugs... :D

Your way wrong about your interpretation of the 2nd amendment...

For the record... I don't own or want a sawed off shotgun... but to outlaw them is simply foolish...  

I would like to shoot one at the range sometime... just for fun. So it would have a purpose other than just killing people. However I see nothing wrong with having a gun that it's sole purpose is to kill people. It's called self defense and I think more people should be prepared to defend themselves... the choice of weapon is irrelevant... 

• jiyabird likes this

#25 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

I didn't realize that criminals actually considered laws when selecting their weapons... hell, we should try that with... drugs... :D

Your way wrong about your interpretation of the 2nd amendment...

For the record... I don't own or want a sawed off shotgun... but to outlaw them is simply foolish...  

I would like to shoot one at the range sometime... just for fun. So it would have a purpose other than just killing people. However I see nothing wrong with having a gun that it's sole purpose is to kill people. It's called self defense and I think more people should be prepared to defend themselves... the choice of weapon is irrelevant... 

When did I say that criminals don't own sawed-off shotguns?

How am I wrong about the Second Amendment?  I didn't make any interpretation about it at all.  Just told you that the Supreme Court, including Scalia, agreed that restricting some weapons is constitutional. 

You boys can make an argument that a grenade would be most effective for home defense for all I care.  I still don't agree.  You might think a burp gun is great for rabbit hunting.  I disagree.

SO.... we all collect guns and appreciate them for sport, hunting and home defense.  I just don't think that we should be able to buy any dam gun we please.  Apparently you do.

• Donna likes this

#26 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

When did I say that criminals don't own sawed-off shotguns?

How am I wrong about the Second Amendment?  I didn't make any interpretation about it at all.  Just told you that the Supreme Court, including Scalia, agreed that restricting some weapons is constitutional. 

You boys can make an argument that a grenade would be most effective for home defense for all I care.  I still don't agree.  You might think a burp gun is great for rabbit hunting.  I disagree.

SO.... we all collect guns and appreciate them for sport, hunting and home defense.  I just don't think that we should be able to buy any dam gun we please.  Apparently you do.

You implied that the NFA did this very thing...

The United States Constitution limits government... not citizens... basically it tells the government to keep it's hands off of our guns... the 2nd amendment doesnt give me anything... it protects what is already mine... given to me by God. 

All of this worry about a shotgun is simply a waste of time... it's not a weapon that I lose any sleep over anyone having. Matter of fact, if I was ever forced into a firefight to save my life... I'd like to find my opponent to be so limited in their choice of weaponry... 

• jiyabird likes this

#27 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

God didn't give you the right to own guns.  The Second Amendment does. 

Respectfully disagree.

• kelley, Quasar and Tina like this

#28 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

OK.  We'll, we can take this thread to the debate about natural rights and how we trade some of those rights to live in a society without total chaos where we can have a system of social and economic freedoms regulated by some form of government..... etc.

But, in the end, we always trade of some freedoms for security and for the well-being of most of society.

It's not much of a trade to ban some weapons like the sawed off shotgun, grenades or landmines (I could go on) to help protect not only the public but the people who we hire to keep the peace.  We have plenty of other choices in firearms.

#29 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

I guess I just don't share your fear of the simple shotgun...

It's really not the weapon of mass destruction that you believe it to be...

Landmines... grenades... geez...

#30 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

Quasar, I don't fear the shotgun.  I have one.  Just not sawed off.

But, it was decided 80 years ago that we really don't need the sawed off, grenades, silencers, machine guns in the hands of whomever wants one.  I agree with that.

#31 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

Respectfully disagree.

:thumbsup:

#32 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

Quasar, I don't fear the shotgun.  I have one.  Just not sawed off.

But, it was decided 80 years ago that we really don't need the sawed off, grenades, silencers, machine guns in the hands of whomever wants one.  I agree with that.

Yea... cause those folks are always right...  :thumbsup: 

Just curious... what's your concern with the so called silencer (suppressor)? I don't think they should be NFA items either...

#33 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

Putting it in because it was included in the National Firearm Act of 1934 along with regulating sawed off shotguns, grenades and a short list of other things.  Go read it. 

#34 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Putting it in because it was included in the National Firearm Act of 1934 along with regulating sawed off shotguns, grenades and a short list of other things.  Go read it. 

I'm well aware of the NFA as an attack on our rights by our government...

#35 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Right.  Well, we're just gonna disagree.

• kelley and Quasar like this

#36 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

Just registering my solidarity on the respectfully disagree thing. The 2nd affirms the right; it didn't birth it.
  • Quasar and Tina like this

#37 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

The only reason that I see for cutting a barrel to less than 18" is the ease of concealment.

Now who in your protected household are you hiding it from?  :logik: 

I look at sawed-off shotguns the same way that I look at automatic knives (that we discussed earlier)

but with even less reasons for practical use. Mostly just for 'Bubba' to show his friends that he's

the baddest MF on the block. Oooo Rah!      :dry:

• Donna likes this

#38 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Mostly just for 'Bubba' to show his friends that he's the baddest MF on the block. Oooo Rah!      :dry:

Let's assume for a moment that this is the only reason... 

So what? Do we really want government intervention in the matter?

• JenS likes this

#39 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Sorry ... don't care. I do not fear the govt.

Everything I have is legal. (even under the Brady Bill!)

There is nothing I need that I don't have.

I'm qualified expert with M16, M203, M60 and M47.

Would an M203 be fun to play with? Oh, you betcha!

Do I want everybody to have the right to own one? Hell no!

Elsewhere we've discussed the "militarization of the police".

If you have any questions as to why this is necessary, look at

the incident that started it in California. (February 28, 1997)

Personally I think there should be an IQ test for gun ownership

but that's just me. It'll never happen.

Edited by RiverFox, 22 January 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#40 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Sorry ... don't care. I do not fear the govt.

Everything I have is legal. (even under the Brady Bill!)

There is nothing I need that I don't have.

I'm qualified expert with M16, M203, M60 and M47.

Would an M203 be fun to play with? Oh, you betcha!

Do I want everybody to have the right to own one? Hell no!

Elsewhere we've discussed the "militarization of the police".

If you have any questions as to why this is necessary, look at

the incident that started it in California. (February 28, 1997)

Personally I think there should be an IQ test for gun ownership

but that's just me. It'll never happen.

That's sure a long way from a shotgun... but... ok. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users