118 replies to this topic

#1 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

So proud to know that our senator, Ron Grooms, had stepped up to co-author some much needed legislation.  Senate Bill 433 which, "Repeals the prohibition against manufacturing, importing, selling, or possessing a sawed-off shotgun."

Danged if I ain't excited about the possibilities of going squirrel hunting from about 5 feet or less!!!!!

Or maybe if I wake up in the middle of the night and Big Foot is standing at my bedside... I might need a sawed-off shotgun!!

Bruce Herdt

Edited by HadAboutEnough, 20 January 2015 - 03:59 PM.

• RiverFox and Donna like this

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

Seriously doubt that Bigfoot would break into your home.  Sasquatch on the other hand . . .

• kelley and RiverFox like this

#3 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

I only come to homes when i'm invited!

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, karen and 5 others like this

#4 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

I only come to homes when i'm invited!

Sorry about the Big Foot crack. 

How about... it opens up the possibilities for a new sport we'll call "Extreme Skeet".  For people who can't blink.

• Bigfoot likes this

#5 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

Yea I don't see much need for a sawed off shotgun. maybe shooting fish in a barrel.

#6 averageguy

averageguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

don't see much need for ron grooms either....

• Quasar likes this

#7 GOB

GOB

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

Cutem just right they make real good hipower pistols. no need for a follow up.

Edited by GOB, 20 January 2015 - 06:00 PM.

#8 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

Maybe the democrats can sponsor a bill teaching the squirrels to fire back.....make it a more fair sport... 

• kelley likes this

#9 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

A short barreled shotgun is perhaps the BEST home defense.  If someone is coming down your hallway toward your bedroom you have a very good chance of hitting them with it.  In addition, the pellets are unlikely to pass through the wall and hit  your neighbor or his child next door.  They are without a doubt the best close quarters weapon and are the lowest risk for collateral damage.  You people need to educate yourselves on firearms before you criticize an idea. 

• CityBoy, jiyabird, Tina and 3 others like this

#10 Maximus

Maximus

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

You beat me to it oldgoat I was going to say the same thing..Good post

• jiyabird likes this

#11 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

i have a scatter gun with an 18" (actually 18.5") legal barrel.

There are "derringers" (boot guns) available that chamber .410 / 44.

What more does anyone need?

#12 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

A short barreled shotgun is perhaps the BEST home defense.  If someone is coming down your hallway toward your bedroom you have a very good chance of hitting them with it.  In addition, the pellets are unlikely to pass through the wall and hit  your neighbor or his child next door.  They are without a doubt the best close quarters weapon and are the lowest risk for collateral damage.  You people need to educate yourselves on firearms before you criticize an idea. 

This pretty much covers it. Great post! The law is silly, and NEEDS to go away.

Lets not go the "blood in the streets" route like anti gunners love to do. It never really happens, and all the hand wringing just wastes everybodies time.

Edited by littletommy, 20 January 2015 - 07:34 PM.

• jiyabird likes this

#13 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:51 AM

I used to have a FFL.  I know a little something about firearms.  The ONLY use for a sawed off shotgun is short range human hunting.  I have doubts that there is an urgent need for home defense with sawed off shotguns.  There is also the possibility that they can be more easily hidden under a coat when you walk into your local bank.

I don't think we need to legalize sawed off shotguns.

#14 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

I believe the proposed legislation just brings our laws into alignment with federal laws.

You would still need a tax stamp and the blessing of the ATF to own one.

#15 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

You probably know, Woo, that you can legally own a variety of firearms with a tax stamp from the ATF.  I once got notification that I needed to register my "Street Sweeper" (Automatic shotgun for those who don't know).  I had never owned one but, I could have with the tax stamp.  And you may be right.  There might be a few collectors who want to own a sawed off shotgun.  But there a bunch of senators that co-authored this bill, including Ron, and I thought about all the good reasons to legalize sawed off shotguns.  One.  Oldgoat is right about close-in combat.  I just cannot imagine that we need to reform this law for any reason but collecting.

#16 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

I used to have a FFL.  I know a little something about firearms.  The ONLY use for a sawed off shotgun is short range human hunting.  I have doubts that there is an urgent need for home defense with sawed off shotguns.  There is also the possibility that they can be more easily hidden under a coat when you walk into your local bank.

I don't think we need to legalize sawed off shotguns.

So you don't think we need to protect our homes?  Do you ever see the news?  Anybody can get an FFL that isn't nuts, a felon or not a citizen.  That doesn't mean you know anything about firearms.  I've hunted, target shot and collected firearms my entire life.  I was a police firearms instructor for 9 years as well as an armorer.  Just exactly what do you think  the Second Amendment is  for if not protecting our homes and families?  The Second Amendment was intended for exactly that and it is clear in the writings of the authors.  A shotgun is the safest and most reliable firearm for home defense. If someone breaks into my home and threatens my family you can da*n well bet I'm going "human hunting".  

• jiyabird likes this

#17 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

I just cannot imagine that we need to reform this law for any reason but collecting.

Where, in the second amendment, is there a requirement to give a need to own anything?

There were several bills filed this year,

One to do away with the license to carry, one to allow campus carry, I think this is the only one that will be considered.

• Quasar and Oldgoat like this

#18 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:27 AM

Most states don't allow sawed off shotguns, goat.  How dangerous do you think it is to leave a loaded sawed off shotgun around the house for home defense?  Besides, there are plenty of other options.  I'd prefer a .45, frankly.  Lots of knockdown power and you can shoot it with one hand. 

You're entitled to your opinion, goat.  I disagree completely.  But, don't talk to me like I know nothing about firearms.  I collect, I shoot and I quit hunting.  If you really, really, want one, goat...move to Kentucky.  No restrictions.  You can even own a 50 cal for home defense.

#19 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

Why would anyone be opposed to someone legally owning this gun?

I guarantee that any thug that would want one already has one... The bad guys are not sitting around waiting for the law to change...
  • jiyabird likes this

#20 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

How dangerous do you think it is to leave a loaded sawed off shotgun around the house for home defense?  

No danger at all... 

How is this gun any more dangerous than any other?

• jiyabird likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users