22 replies to this topic

#1 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Has anyone heard if the Hospital in Charlestown was sold? The auction was this passed Wednesday. Just wondering.

#2 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

I heard that it did sell. Seems like a group from Chicago purchased it, not anyone locally.

#3 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

I've been looking in local media to see what the fate of this hospital would be and haven't been able to find anyrhing? I'm concerned for the residents in that area because of how far from that hospitals service area the next hospital is. And thanks for the information that's good news I hope they keep it open and do some upgrades.

#4 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

Not many of the nearby residents utilized that hospital . Many drove past to go to Clark, Floyd or Louisville. And for good reasons.

#5 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

Not many of the nearby residents utilized that hospital . Many drove past to go to Clark, Floyd or Louisville. And for good reasons.

#6 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

What makes you certain that people drove past it to Clark, Floyd or Louisville? What stats are you basing your opinion on...? What good reasons (?) would there be to not have a local hospital available in this area?
Did you know that the residents futon the assisted living facility as well as the community utilize this hospital for lab testing, MRI's etc.?
This hospital has been taking care of people for many years! No they do not conduct heart transplants.... But the locals NEED this hospital ... Be supportive in keeping it open!

#7 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

I was there when they only had 2 patients on the second floor. And maybe 7 on the geriatrics . You can't possibly sustain a hospital with no patients. Secondly did you ever go to ER . Enough said on that one. I wish them well. I know they really thought they had it worked out with the weight loss surgerys but the other hospitals was way ahead on that one. Maybe they will find there place in the community but a hospital cannot survive depending on lab test or MRI s alone

#8 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

So it is based upon your opinion...respectfully.

#9 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:39 AM

Yes my opinion . But if you looked at stats of how many people are in the area and how any of them utilized the hospital you will see why they had the financial problems they did. If My family or I extremely ill you can bet I want the best treatment facility available. I hope the new owners can change it around. But it has to be more than a band aide hospital in order to survive. Jmo
  • LetsBeHonest likes this

#10 MyMan

MyMan

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

I agree Grammy.

With all the outpatient urgent care centers and diagnostic imaging centers available, they need to offer higher level of care.  Not all MRI machines, CT machines, etc offer the same level of quality. 

You have hospitals offering way more services that are struggling to stay afloat i.e. CMH/FMH. 

Last I read, they were going to offer more telemedicine and remote diagnostic services. 

#11 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Grammy just curious... How do you know the stats of how many patients utilize the hospital for medical services? Just interested in knowing since patient confidentiality is to be practiced ?
And yes becoming a higher tech facility, I do agree would be an ideal goal!
But again, the residents in that area do need this facility. It's a long drive to Clark, Floyd or Louisville hospitals ... They use to stat flight from this hospital to Louisville facilities

#12 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

I don't know the stats or names or conditions of anyone but I can tell you when you have a loved one there and there is only one other person on a whole floor in a hospital it can be concerning. But that's just me. Not to mention the cafeteria was only open for a couple hrs during lunch. Not on the weekend we were there. So that pretty much told me business was awfully slow for a 96 bed facility . And this was 2009. And since they have filed bankruptcy since then I just kind of figured not a lot has changed. And you can also find info on the web by visiting healthgrades where all hospitals have there quality reports reported and patient surveys.

Edited by grammy, 29 January 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#13 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

If you was to google healthgrades for Saint Catherine hospital you can find a lot of public information.

#14 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

St. Catherine's was a God-send to me & my mother!  Wellpoint kicked us to the curb (and it was frightfully cold that night!)  Mom was in advanced Alzheimer's and a victim of domestic abuse.  Hubs went to jail (with the dang insurance card!) but I needed a safe place for Mom.  My home with steep stairs was not doable.  Even though I told Wellpoint that I would be responsible for the bill, they said no.  St. Catherine accepted her and gave me a recommendation on an Alzheimer unit (Green Valley) and refused to allow hub to visit without supervision.  I will always be indebted to them.  They were kind, caring and compassionate.

I don't know about the ER or surgeries, but on a very frigid night, they gave my mom a safe landing spot and took care of her as the treasure she was. 

• LetsBeHonest and CityBoy like this

#15 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

There was a doctor there that we just loved. The only one where you didn't mind to have to wait for. He took as long as necessary to talk to you and explain. Once he left we stopped going. He was a gem. all the staff from nursing to support was caring except for one lol . she was brutal with a iv

#16 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

I believe there was poor managment of this hospital but I also believe it is needed in the community. With the right management and money invested for upgrades I think it would be a valuable asset the the area considering Clark Memorial and Floyd Memorial are always full and diverting patients to hospitals across the river.
  • CityBoy likes this

#17 MyMan

MyMan

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Holy cow...reading this place is shutting down tomorrow. Yikes!

#18 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

Read the article on WDRB website. 8 million dollars in debt. Sadly I'm surprised they managed to stay opened this long .they have struggled for many years.

Edited by grammy, 17 February 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#19 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

This is going to be a huge loss for the community of Charlestown. Really sad.

#20 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

http://www.wdrb.com/...dnesday-morning

Not much notice...

• Donna likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users