130 replies to this topic

#21 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

Do not want Roberts as my councilman. I could never get a straight answer from him the few times I called him last time.

#22 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

His answer would first have to be approved by Bob Hall, so it would be impossible to get a straight answer from Roberts.

Edited by CityBoy, 20 January 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#23 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

I hope that the 2nd District gets a good representative to run for City Council.

Cathy Cash only represents Bob Hall.

Please,can a person,Republican or Democrat who thinks for themselves and evaluates a subject on it's own merit,for the betterment of all their constituents, come out of the woodwork and give the 2nd District a representative they can rely on to be spokesperson for them and not just a blind "yes vote" for who ever is Mayor.

#24 NoBS

NoBS

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

It amazes me that each election this small anti-Bob group bring out the same old diatribe about the Mayor. How supposedly he is a dictator. Yet the schools, civic groups, youth groups, sports groups, businesses, churches, foundations, etc all work with him. Things that he gets involved with seem to improve. Charlestown was a dump when he became Mayor with problems everywhere. The city has never been better.  

Also, Its obvious, those who don't agree with the vision or direction the city is going, think that anybody that does feel the city is going in the right direction and Mayor is doing what is best for Charlestown are brain washed, weak, dumb, spineless, puppets. At some point you have to think if the voters keep supporting him that maybe the anti-group might be the ones that need to change or maybe they have the wrong motives. After all the success he has speaks volumes.

Wasteful spending, overspending, huge debt, is something else that the anti group brings out and It too is bull and political rhetoric.  Let us look at what I know to be true. There has not been any tax increases, water or sewer increases, my bill for living in the city has not increased from city government while he has been Mayor. My sewer bill actually when down after he lowering the rate.  I would like those reading all the bull that this group puts out every election go by what you see with your own eyes. Its not true just because the anti-group says it is no matter now many times they cry it. I would rather believe what I see happening.

Each year he has constantly improve my home town and I will happily support him this time again, even through I don't understand why he would even want the job.

#25 moose

moose

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

It's amazing how many people don't take the time to look at the facts and the truth surrounding Bob Hall's term as Mayor.  Instead they would just rather allow themselves to be lead down a path of lies and deceit because he disguises it with pretty flowers and Christmas lights.  I know, I know we're all just haters and he doesn't tell lies No BS.  I'm still waiting for that Sav A Lot to come to town.  You know the one he campaigned on for the last 2 elections that he brought to town. 

Why wouldn't he want to keep the job?  The citizens of Charlestown foot the bill for his new Ford Edge, all the maintenance, all the gas, give him a credit card that he spends freely on that his only monitored by HIS Board of Public Works, plus his salary.  His total salary, benefit package, and perks end up costing the citizens of Charlestown in the six figures.  He would never get that in the private sector, so he NEEDS the job!  Duh!   

• Cheryl L Ross and Old Pawpaw like this

#26 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

if you don't like the way city government is run, fix it by campaigning, not complaining.  If you want it fixed, run for election and try to make it better.  it all looks so easy from the outside looking in.

#27 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

NoBs and NotBanned,until someone finds an antidote for Bob Hall's Kool-Aid,any response no matter how convincing falls on deaf ears!

#28 NoBS

NoBS

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

It's amazing how many people don't take the time to look at the facts and the truth surrounding Bob Hall's term as Mayor.  Instead they would just rather allow themselves to be lead down a path of lies and deceit because he disguises it with pretty flowers and Christmas lights.  I know, I know we're all just haters and he doesn't tell lies No BS.  I'm still waiting for that Sav A Lot to come to town.  You know the one he campaigned on for the last 2 elections that he brought to town. 

Why wouldn't he want to keep the job?  The citizens of Charlestown foot the bill for his new Ford Edge, all the maintenance, all the gas, give him a credit card that he spends freely on that his only monitored by HIS Board of Public Works, plus his salary.  His total salary, benefit package, and perks end up costing the citizens of Charlestown in the six figures.  He would never get that in the private sector, so he NEEDS the job!  Duh!   

You mean the Sav-A-Lot that had representatives that came to a public city council meeting with a room full of people, announce they had purchased property and was planning to open a store, then didn't. That's the big lie. That they told the mayor and city council they were coming and they all went out and repeated it and then they didn't.  OH MY GOSH That the big lie.  What A JOKE!!!!

And Lets bring back the Diatribe of the Mayor having use of a city car A "new" (2010 Edge) and  a credit card to buy gas, thats a real scandal. He makes like $45,000 dollars, Insurance (if he has it) , nothing else that I am aware of NO PERKS.  The "Perks" are having people like you criticize and try to make these appear to be wrong.

Again I don't know why he wants to do it but I glad he does.

#29 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

NoBs and NotBanned,until someone finds an antidote for Bob Hall's Kool-Aid,any response no matter how convincing falls on deaf ears!

Is it just possible that there are people that want different things from the city than you, and that Hall best represents their interests best. No Kool-aid needed.

#30 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'm not sure how this relates to what I said.  Basically, what is stopping those of you who are complaining about how the city is run from filling out the proper paper work and running in the next mayoral election?  Or, at the very least, campaign for an alternative candidate that you can support and get behind; someone who shares your same ideals and solutions for the city's woes?  By campaign, I don't mean bash the incumbent on a message board, but put out signs, organize rallies, take ads out in newspapers, financially support the other guy, etc.

I liken this kind of behavior to all the negative campaign ads we all are subjected to around every single election for state office or above.  If you are confident in your own abilities and ideals, why blow out the other person's candle to make your's burn brighter?  That is cheap politics to me.  While I think voting on a national level is pointless, I do see its difference making in local politics like the City Mayor position for instance.

If you don't like what is going on, don't sing about it, BE about it.  Otherwise, you show your interests lay with complaining about the do'ers instead of being a do'er yourselves.

#31 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

Just because a person does not want to run for office themselves,does not mean they can't speak up against what they veiw as wrong!

It seems to me that these Forums are here to inform people of matters that they may be un-informed of.

If telling people the truth about an incumbent is equal to bashing,then so be it.

Mayor Hall has had the majority of the Council's backing on nearly every agenda that he has presented to them the last 3 years.

Only ,when two of his normal yes votes(one Republican and one Democrat),realized that what he had planned for Pleasant Ridge was wrong and the entire Council let Bob's resoulution die for lack of a motion. Then and only then,did Mayor Hall decide that he needed to replace the Council and is now actively recruting candidates he must feel,he can control.

So much for checks and balances!
  • Cheryl L Ross likes this

#32 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

Just because a person does not want to run for office themselves,does not mean they can't speak up against what they veiw as wrong!

It seems to me that these Forums are here to inform people of matters that they may be un-informed of.

If telling people the truth about an incumbent is equal to bashing,then so be it.

Mayor Hall has had the majority of the Council's backing on nearly every agenda that he has presented to them the last 3 years.

Only ,when two of his normal yes votes(one Republican and one Democrat),realized that what he had planned for Pleasant Ridge was wrong and the entire Council let Bob's resoulution die for lack of a motion. Then and only then,did Mayor Hall decide that he needed to replace the Council and is now actively recruting candidates he must feel,he can control.

Actually, as long as the voters still elect them, it's still checks and balances. You just would disagree with the with the voters.

#33 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

You're right.  It doesn't mean you can't speak up against it.  It just means you don't care enough to change it.  

And the *truth* you speak about Mayor Hall seems to be your truth from second/third hand stories and overall hyperbole.  As NoBS seems to have a rebuttal for everything brought up.

I'm sure Bob has his faults, but as a comparison I grew up during the long reign of Bobby Braswell as well as living through Bob Hall's time in office.  Under Braswell, Charlestown stayed the same for decades while Bob brought improvements to the city, at least aesthetically.  Braswell lived in the projects, ran a business in the projects and was the people's Mayor ... but did NOTHING to improve the appearance of the city.  He was no saint either as he regularly helped out his friends, fixing traffic tickets, etc

Hall updated the city, and of course you can't make changes without a group of naysayers always crowing about you doing something wrong (i.e. something they don't like) 

#34 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Notbanned,your comparison of Bobby Braswell to Bob Hall is in no way fair to Bobby Braswell,you are absolutely correct in your statement that Bobby was the people's Mayor,he was a fine individual who cared about every one of his constituites no matter their social or economic standing.

Your comparison about the aesthetics is off base, because Bobby Braswell did not have the funding available that Bob Hall had the luxury of having.(Mayor Hall has had between 6 and 7 hundred thousand dollars in T.I.F monies alone,per year)

The Charlestown Beautification Committee was started under Bobby Braswell and founded by Lajuanna Cobb(please excuse my spelling if I'm incorrect Mrs.Cobb)not by Bob Hall or Donna Coomer who both have been given un-warranted credit for the founding.

As far as saying that Bobby was "no saint" because he helped his friends,fixing traffic tickets,etc. Bob Hall will never have that problem,because anyone who has been around to see Bob Hall in action, is no longer his friend!

#35 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

When Braswell didn't do something it is because he didn't have the funding or [insert excuse here].  

When Hall doesn't do something/does something that others don't like it's the evil dictator ringing his hands with an evil grin with all of his minions at City Hall pulling the strings and manipulating or trying to enforce evil policies against those simple folk of Charlestown.

Regardless of who started the Beautification Committee, Hall and his clan seem to have implemented it.  I could start any program or committee, but if it only exists on paper and in the visions of the creator(s), it's still just that, a vision. 

For those who have all the answers, or have the innate ability to pick out everything wrong that the other guy does, why wouldn't you want to be Mayor?  It would be easy money.  Not to mention all of the City's woes would be erased with the 100% effective, under budget, 100% resident approval policies put into place. 

#36 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

I am in no way promoting, nor condemning Mayor Hall. I do however want to point out a thing or two that he pushed for and succeeded in obtaining for Charlestown. The first would be the high school building project. I researched the records, and while many may criticize aspects of this project, records show that if the GCS Board, namely Mr. Gilbert would have had their collective ways, Charlestown would have had a bare bones building that was on a separate campus from the athletic facilities which were drawn to stay at the current site without any renovation. The building as it was proposed before the changes to the project were made (with Mayor's Hall's strong urging) would not have been designed for growth and expansion that could well be needed as a result of the bridges project. I also found some very interesting newspaper clippings from September 2008 where the Mayor and the GCS school corporation offices did noteworthy work of feeding the community when Charlestown was hit by the windstorm that took out electricity for a week.

While I am sure specific negatives can be listed, I wanted to at least be specific about successes of Mayor Hall that can be documented.

#37 rhouchens

rhouchens

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

You mention Bobby Braswell he helped the city purchased the hospital twice and saved it from going under and both times the city sold the hospital for a million dollars each time the money was in reserves I am pretty sure the reserves have now been depleted I would say that is a pretty good business man and if anyone  says that he didn't care for the city and all of the people that lived in it not just the people that lived in the project they just never knew Bobby Braswell,if Not Banned wants to beat the drum for Bob Hall or any other candidate he should not have to drag someone into the discussion that is no longer with us that gave much of his time to represent the city everyone claims to care so much in my opinion is way out of line.

#38 NoBS

NoBS

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

Here is the latest from the breakfast club on who has signed up to run.

Bob Hall,

Ben Ledbetter who I have know most of my life and admire greatly will be running against Jeff Aaron if he runs.

Eric Vaughn who grew up here and is married to one of the Mattox girls, also owns a trucking company. He is running at large against Danny James if he runs.

George Robert is running  in Cathy Cash's seat.

Ted Little is running against Scot Mckenchie.

No one has signed up yet to run against Rawlings, but rumor has it that one of the Hester brothers will. Great family I knew their dad my whole life.

Very Impressive group.

And only Thornhill on the Democrat side has signed up.

#39 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

You mention Bobby Braswell he helped the city purchased the hospital twice and saved it from going under and both times the city sold the hospital for a million dollars each time the money was in reserves I am pretty sure the reserves have now been depleted I would say that is a pretty good business man and if anyone  says that he didn't care for the city and all of the people that lived in it not just the people that lived in the project they just never knew Bobby Braswell,if Not Banned wants to beat the drum for Bob Hall or any other candidate he should not have to drag someone into the discussion that is no longer with us that gave much of his time to represent the city everyone claims to care so much in my opinion is way out of line.

He should have let the hospital go under.  It's a disgrace.  I live within walking distance of that place and would still drive to Jeffersonville in the case of an emergency.  My dad was in there not too long ago and it was a ghost town, filthy and understaffed.  As an aside, when I was 7 my appendix was about to rupture and a doctor there told my parents it was just the flu.  I went to Doc Voskuhl the next day and he pressed on my abdomen a few times and said, "this boy needs his appendix out."  He then preceded to call that "doctor" and give him what for right there in the office.

I never said Bobby didn't care for people outside of the project, I said he was the people's mayor.  With the recent Pleasant Ridge uproar, I just pulled the comparison seeing that Mr. Braswell lived and owned businesses there.  I'm not beating the drum for Hall or anyone.  I do think this board is skewed heavily in the anti-Bob giving half/one-sided facts.  The thing about politics is that everyone wants to complain, but none of you have any idea what it actually takes to be in office; being pulled from every side with wants while trying to implement policies you campaigned on.  Keeping everyone happy is impossible.  That is why all of you will just sit and complain instead of doing anything positive in the way of making a difference in small contributions or going all the way and running.

By the way, I meant no disrespect for Braswell.  He and my father were friends.  I would stand by my statements even if he were still with us.  Sure he did things as Mayor, otherwise why would he have been re-elected so many times ... I'm just saying he did only enough to keep status quo.

#40 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

Holy Cow,you mentioned the note worthy work of feeding the community that Bob Hall and G.C.S did when the wind storm took out electricity for a week.

I'm sure that the schools did their best to help.

I feel that Bob Hall,s helping hand was politically motivated,below are two examples of why I came to feel this way.

First,Bob Hall gave gift certificates from Jay C store of 20 dollars to those who would show proof of residence.The total cost of this illegal tax-payer give away was 20,000 dollars. This was giving tax-payer monies to only a select few,many residents had no idea that their tax monies were being re-distributed by Bob Hall.(not to mention that the list of who received the 20 dollar certificates was conveniently lost,no one knows who gained in this other than Bob Hall) This along with Bob's 100 dollar scholarships and a picture of our seniors along the highway sure seems to be a cheap way to buy votes.

Secondly,Mayor Hall,turned down the Red Cross when they offered to bring supplies to Charlestown,if the Red Cross had showed, compassionate Bob could not have taken the credit as the "only municipality in the area to help it's citizens"!

Edited by Old Pawpaw, 24 January 2015 - 11:03 AM.

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users