36 replies to this topic

#21 Serve

Serve

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

This is exactly why we need term limits on all elected positions (i.e congress)..   I do not believe most people are malicious, but they get so institutionalized, that they can not see different ways of doing things..  The old common phrase "This is the way we always have done it."  kills efficiency and stops progress.

Maybe Spainhour would have made these changes, but I am glad that Meyer did not get elected, Not because Meyer is a bad guy, but he would (and did) keep doing what he always has done in the past.  Heck he had a few months to do something, but didn't.   If he would have done what Noel did in the last month, he may have won.

Edited by Serve, 03 February 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#22 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

We do have term limits.  It's called an election.  But you do raise some valid points, Serve.  I just wish everybody got off their apathetic butts, check out the candidates and VOTE! 

• Tina and Russell Brooksbank like this

#23 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

You've heard crap..This is BS, BS and more BS.... if it were true all the corrections officers would have retired by now. Dollar amounts are not accurate.
Cigs are High, but this is over blown... Most inmates are NOT rich, nor their families.

Humm..,Rodden, had affairs with prostitutes ??? Why would he have an issue with anything else going on ?? Think you answered your own question....

It's not BS I heard this from a corrections officer that currently works in the jail. The jail does t sell to the inmates this is the street value of the cigs if they are smuggled in. So unless you were in jail how would you know if it was any different

#24 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

So you would have to manage to smuggle in a pack of cigs and rolling papers.  I still don't see how one cig can be made into four and at the expense noted, if that doesn't get you to kick the habit, nothing will.  Pretty outlandish prices quoted, smells like BS to me, too. 

I've no doubt, especially with the recent actions of the current sheriff, that the contraband issue is being seriously addressed.  Just not sure about the quality of info you've been receiving lately.

#25 Bulldog0605

Bulldog0605

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

Maybe I can help and give my one cent.

I was a Corrections Officer for 10 years in Kentucky DOC. Cigarettes normally go for 5 dollars a Cigarette depending on supply and demand. The main issue that the jail was having was the past administration was not searching the trusties (Inmates) when they would come back from outside the jail. I know for a fact that when officers would attempt to search the trusties, they were told not too. This is where the contraband was coming from, and the main reason it could not be stopped. I was told that the officer who was bringing in the cell phones, walked off the job the day after the search. They would not tell me who it was, but they said it was no secret.

If you like or dislike Noel, you have to give him props from cleaning up the jail and getting the correct staff out of the jail. This is why people resigned right before the election, they saw that their party was coming to a end. I was also told that Rodden had saved him self a road officer position (merit), so when the new sheriff came in he  would demote himself so he could not be fired without cause, of course this was before his scandal hit the paper. I was also told Meyer did the same thing, but will keep his rank but will be a street officer again.

It is a new day at the Jail, and I believe we are not done seeing staff leave in a hurry or getting arrested.

• GrumpyGranny, TLIES, Tina and 3 others like this

#26 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

I wish I had known how corruptible the jail staff was.

Edited by kelley, 04 February 2015 - 10:49 AM.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#27 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

I've known it was bad there for awhile. Not all but some bad apples. But it also made a big difference on who you or your parents are that got you great perks while incarcerated. I for one am glad sheriff Noel was elected .maybe stop some of this good boy network

Edited by grammy, 04 February 2015 - 11:31 AM.

#28 LetsBeHonest

LetsBeHonest

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

It's getting hot in here...!!!

#29 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

#30 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

It's not BS I heard this from a corrections officer that currently works in the jail. The jail does t sell to the inmates this is the street value of the cigs if they are smuggled in. So unless you were in jail how would you know if it was any different 

Because I also know corrections officers, people who work in admin at the jail... and WELL acquainted with folks who have been in and out over the past 5 years.

I have contact with someone who is there now.. Today, average is  $100 a pack.  $10.00 a cig.

Not many have $800.00 on their books.  Otherwise they could hire a lawyer and get out.

#31 Manny12

Manny12

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

20 cigarettes to a pack = 200.00.

#32 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

20 cigarettes to a pack = 200.00. 

I agree, That's  how much you could make....... I just quoted the normal prices.       

If your an inmate, you more than likely won't sell all your cigs.   You will keep some.

Harder for corrections officers. The money is on an inmates books. It cannot be cashed out or exchanged while in jail. A check for the balance is issued when they are released.  How many Ramon noodles and Cheetos can you use ???   Otherwise the officer is dealing with an outside source to obtain the cash, and turn the cigs over to an inmate.

Cigs are usually traded for commissary items or phone cards.

#33 FatToes

FatToes

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

Great Job Sheriff.
  • Oldgoat likes this

#34 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

I thought only E cigs allowed??

#35 Glad I came

Glad I came

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

Sure the  inmates bring things in but there are some guards that make a nice chunk of money by bringing in cell phones and drugs. this has gone on for years

#36 psfirst

psfirst

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Sure the inmates bring things in but there are some guards that make a nice chunk of money by bringing in cell phones and drugs. this has gone on for years

I don't think it's nearly as bad as it was

#37 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:30 AM

I'm always amazed at the items smuggled in and how that's done . . . drugs, cellphone up the wazoo!

Wanna know how it's done? The attitude that allows people to be waved through the metal detectors is a start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users