• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

I like it... they've got to get this under control... 

Noel’s approach to curtailing the flow of drugs and other restricted items in the jail includes initiatives that differ from those of previous administrations. Detective Scottie Maples said Noel has designated a member of the correctional staff to serve as a full-time jail investigator. The sheriff’s office also is setting a new standard for those inmates found with contraband in the jail.
“If we find anything criminal inside our jail, they will be charged criminally,” Maples said. “I don’t know if that was happening before, but I can tell you, now, that is going to happen every single time.”

• Oldgoat, JHS1982, Tina and 2 others like this

#2 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

I look forward to ANY change in the Sheriff's Office. Longevity is the key to success, let's hope it lasts his entire term.
  • Quasar, JHS1982 and hillbilly highway like this

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:11 AM

Love this line:

"As soon as we can get most of the articles out of the jail that are already in there, we can start from scratch and worry about how they are getting in,” Maples said. “This is a new administration. We are going to be handling things differently, and we are just getting started.”

Somebody's party is over.

• Quasar, Oldgoat, JHS1982 and 2 others like this

#4 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

being caught with drugs in jail should result in new criminal charges, right???  how is this a new policy?  please say it ain't so!

• IntegrityMatters, Quasar and JHS1982 like this

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

I'm always amazed at the items smuggled in and how that's done . . . drugs, cellphone up the wazoo!  OUCH! 

I also understand that some will consume hand sanitizer because of the alcohol content . . . Ewwwww! 

This is a great start!  I wish them every success in preventing contraband from entering the premises.

• Quasar and JHS1982 like this

#6 totty

totty

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

The whole thing was a mess. They need to do like Floyd County and go to video visitation. No person to person contact with outside parties during your stay at the jail.
  • Quasar, JHS1982 and JenS like this

#7 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

The whole thing was a mess. They need to do like Floyd County and go to video visitation. No person to person contact with outside parties during your stay at the jail.

Totty. I'm pretty sure that it's been video visitation for quite some time at Clark County. It makes you wonder how the contraband is getting in.
  • kelley likes this

#8 Ray

Ray

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

Great to see steps are being taken to rid the jail of corrupt influences. The contraband was extensive in the jail during the Rodden administration. It was well know to most in the courts and law enforcement community. The past trustee system was an obvious way for contraband to enter the facility.  If some long term inmates would be offered immunity they could tell how the scam operates. People who make profit off a person's addiction should be arrested and prosecuted. 

• JHS1982, Tina, grammy and 1 other like this

#9 totty

totty

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

ICU I'm talking about the type where they stay home and video chat via computer. ...don't even bother coming near the jail to bring in anything....paid for by the users not thettaxpayers. ...next choice get an x-ray machine and everyone goes thru it...all day long
  • JHS1982 and ICU like this

#10 ICU

ICU

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

Totty. Sorry I misunderstood your post. I've never heard of the visitation method you're referring to. I wasn't aware that Floyd County uses this method. This seems like a very good alternative to what is used currently in Clark County. Still I wonder how much of the contraband is brought in with visitors and how much is brought in by other ways.

• Tina likes this

#11 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Totty. Sorry I misunderstood your post. I've never heard of the visitation method you're referring to. I wasn't aware that Floyd County uses this method. This seems like a very good alternative to what is used currently in Clark County. Still I wonder how much of the contraband is brought in with visitors and how much is brought in by other ways.

Yeah, the article said they found phones in the food in the commissary. 

#12 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Sounds like our new sheriff means business. Great job Sir. Keep up the pressure.
This is what the citizens wanted and the criminals were afraid of.
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Oldgoat, JHS1982, grammy and 1 other like this

#13 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

Well looks like sheriff Noel is off to a good start. A previous post I made was why hasn't Rodden or Meyer did anything about this problem while they were sheriff? Noel has been sheriff less than a month and he is finding drugs and cell phones and the inmates found with these items will face criminal charges this is exactly what I want to see from our sheriff. Thanks Sheriff Noel
  • TomD and grammy like this

#14 totty

totty

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

And ship the badasses off to DOC where they belong....punishment is all they understand...they don't want rehabilitation
  • TomD and grammy like this

#15 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

I wish they would also put a cap on how much money could be put on a inmates books. I know of a couple who gets at least 100 a week when they go in. Now you know that is to much a week for cheetos. What do you think they are doing with that kind of change a week . Smh
  • Oldgoat likes this

#16 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

From what I have heard is that a pack of cigarettes is worth $800.00 in the jail they take one cigarette and turn it into 4 and sell them for $10.00 a piece. I also heard the inmates approach the jailers and offer them $600.00 for a pack of smokes. So if you have a jailer that has fallen on hard times the temptation must be intense. Not saying that all jailers to do this just saying it's a big temptation. So Grammy you are right they shouldn't let the inmates have that amount of money in their accounts it should be limited to 25.00 a week or something like that .
  • grammy likes this

#17 Bulldog0605

Bulldog0605

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

Now we have the jail nurse being arrested for drugs at the Jail....hmmmm    Just how dirty was the past administration to allow this to go on.

• Quasar and JenS like this

#18 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

It was like the wild west in there I suppose... anything goes... 

I heard one news report that said the inmates cells had not been inspected for contraband for a number of years... 

#19 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

From what I have heard is that a pack of cigarettes is worth $800.00 in the jail they take one cigarette and turn it into 4 and sell them for $10.00 a piece. I also heard the inmates approach the jailers and offer them $600.00 for a pack of smokes. So if you have a jailer that has fallen on hard times the temptation must be intense. Not saying that all jailers to do this just saying it's a big temptation. So Grammy you are right they shouldn't let the inmates have that amount of money in their accounts it should be limited to 25.00 a week or something like that . 

You've heard crap..This is BS, BS and more BS.... if it were true all the corrections officers would have retired by now.   Dollar amounts are not accurate. 

Cigs are High, but this is over blown... Most inmates are NOT rich, nor their families.

Now we have the jail nurse being arrested for drugs at the Jail....hmmmm    Just how dirty was the past administration to allow this to go on.

Humm..,Rodden, had affairs with prostitutes ???   Why would he have an issue with anything else going on ??  Think you answered your own question....

Edited by TLIES, 03 February 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#20 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

I don't believe it's the guards benefiting from money on the books. It's the criminals buying and selling contraband and their poker games . One of the individuals I know of was looking forward to going back. He told his mom there was a lot of money to be made there. Until he found out there's a new sheriff in town. That's why I think there should be a cap on the funds. Jmo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users