39 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

(NOTE: The thread about the behavior of a board member of a local government school corporation gave me the idea for this one so if you are not up to speed about that one, you can go here and I'll see you in about a month after you read up.)

So, let's discuss this situation from a different perspective:

If this situation happened with a board member in a private school, would it be possible for a thread to last this long? Even if there was no written policy that clearly covered the behavior?

My answer is no. I don't think a thread would last this long and I believe this because of the power of the marketplace. 

It doesn't matter what the individual does after the initial criminal behavior or what other board members do. In all scenarios, there can be closure for everyone because of the freedom to choose.

If the board member refused to resign and the other board members remained quiet or supported her, then individuals who were voluntarily funding this school have one of three possible choices to make:

1. They can accept this situation and stay.

2. They can decide not to accept this situation and stay anyway and try to make changes.

3. They can leave and move on to an organization they consider to be more ethical.

No matter what choices individual funders make, I can't see a forum thread about it lasting very long at all.

If they choose to accept the situation, then there is of course no reason to post on a forum.

If they choose to not accept the situation but stay to try to enact changes, a post on a public forum could be possible as an attempt to get that change going but it certainly would not go on and on because at some point, energy would need to be spent in the organization itself to accomplish the goal. If they find they cannot get any traction, they will eventually leave and spend their energies on an organization that matches the ethics they hold dear.

Finally if they leave and move on, I could see the possibility of a thread started on a public forum, if only to inform other people about the situation, but I can't see it going on and on because at some point they would move on to more productive energies at a place of learning that matches the ethics they hold dear.

For me, this situation is an example where freedom can be a beautiful thing. For everyone. Too bad we don't have that in education.

How do you think this situation would play out in a privately funded school?

(edited to link to other thread)

Edited by Debbie, 07 January 2015 - 05:02 PM.

• HoosierEducator likes this

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

Anyone offended by the unchanged board membership could remove themselves from any obligation to the school. They would not be required to fund it. They would not be required to send their children there. A private school likely wouldn't be so closely identified with a community as to share a name and represent it to a larger region, and it would therefore be less likely to embarrass a great number of people if there was questionable behavior.
  • Debbie and HoosierEducator like this

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

Anyone offended by the unchanged board membership could remove themselves from any obligation to the school. They would not be required to fund it. They would not be required to send their children there. A private school likely wouldn't be so closely identified with a community as to share a name and represent it to a larger region, and it would therefore be less likely to embarrass a great number of people if there was questionable behavior.

And anyone that wants to move out of GCCS into another school district can call me to find them a new home. ;)  

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, karen and 1 other like this

#4 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

And anyone that wants to move out of GCCS into another school district can call me to find them a new home. ;)  

Shameless.  Absolutely shameless.

Smack her, Kelley.

• kelley and Donna like this

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

Shameless. Absolutely shameless.

Smack her, Kelley.

For real!

She gets a pass since I moved in on her Chatter Resident Realtor Turf and because she's so darn cute and tinacious.
  • CityBoy, Tina and Donna like this

#6 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

A private school could easily remove a board member who committed a felony --- just like the Red Cross board did with Ms. Perkins.  A private school's board is NOT elected. If the school had high ethical and moral standards and a board member did something which jeopardized the school's standards, then I think they would be asked to resign or terminated.  If they weren't, then the parents would either voice their opinions loud enough that the school took notice in order to not lose substantial private funding -- or the parents could remove their child/children and send them to another school.

There would most likely not be a lengthy post on Chatter because a private school Board member is not elected by the people to serve and does not receive money from taxpayers.  They also do not take an "oath of office" swearing to uphold the law.   There is no politics involved. 

I always thought that being on a Board (whether elected or appointed) was an honor and that those holding board memberships would have high ethical and moral standards.  I thought that an ethical person would know right from wrong and know when it was time to resign -- without having to be asked.  I have been proven wrong.  There are obviously some Board members who say they have ethical standards but don't practice them when push comes to shove.  And unfortunately, the people who elected them have no recourse --- once elected they are basically untouchable.   This is what needs to change in my opinion.

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 07 January 2015 - 07:33 PM.

• Debbie, JHS1982 and Donna like this

#7 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Belatedly realized you only mentioned helping them buy a new home. Any chance you wanna refer out the listing side, lol?
  • CityBoy, Tina and Donna like this

#8 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

Perhaps those that are offended by an admitted felon staying on the school board should work at convincing parents to move their students to other schools outside GCCS.....could be Clarksville, West Clark, NAFC Schools, one of the Charter Schools in the area, or a private school.   With GCCS getting money from the state based on enrollment, seems like hitting them in the pocketbook might get some response.

• IntegrityMatters and JHS1982 like this

#9 HoosierEducator

HoosierEducator

TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Perhaps those that are offended by an admitted felon staying on the school board should work at convincing parents to move their students to other schools outside GCCS.....could be Clarksville, West Clark, NAFC Schools, one of the Charter Schools in the area, or a private school.   With GCCS getting money from the state based on enrollment, seems like hitting them in the pocketbook might get some response.

Sounds logical to me.  Let's take our children out of the GCCS system where there are exceptional teachers and academic success stories and put them in a mediocre school system because we don't like the fact that one person on the board got in trouble with the law and took her punishment but did not resign from the Board.  Yep, that'll show them.

#10 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

By which objective measures is Greater Clark superior to the other options listed?
  • IntegrityMatters, CaptainPicard and Donna like this

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

West Clark is overflowing with students!  I don't think they can take anymore out-of-district students.  And, there's nothing mediocre about their school or teachers. 

• IntegrityMatters and JHS1982 like this

#12 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

West Clark is overflowing with students!  I don't think they can take anymore out-of-district students.  And, there's nothing mediocre about their school or teachers. 

Which is why they need to contact me to move INSIDE West Clark's district. ;)

• IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#13 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

Exactly Kelley!!  Seems that most of the possibilities suggested by Pirate are viable options (in my opinion, of course).  West Clark?  Yep!!  NA-FC?  Yep!!  Some of the charters in the area?  Yep!!  

Yep......moving them just may actually show them!! 

Rod Daily

#14 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

I hate to break this to you HE, but GCCS is mediocre at best, ranking 195th of 289 school districts in the state.   True, they do score higher than Clarksville, but they trail both West Clark and New Albany/Floyd.

• Donna likes this

#15 HoosierEducator

HoosierEducator

TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

Well, then by all means move'm on out.  My personal preference is GCCS and I will always believe it to be the best.  

#16 HoosierEducator

HoosierEducator

TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Exactly Kelley!!  Seems that most of the possibilities suggested by Pirate are viable options (in my opinion, of course).  West Clark?  Yep!!  NA-FC?  Yep!!  Some of the charters in the area?  Yep!!  

Yep......moving them just may actually show them!! 

Rod Daily

lol!

#17 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Ha-ha......contrary to popular belief HE, you make my jelly roll (and BELIEVE ME.......it's a LOT of jelly!!).  I like you......you're funny, and bantering with you makes me all "tingly" inside (or is that gas??)   :hyper:   And I mean that with a sincere amount of respect!!  And I ABSOLUTELY will not argue with you regarding the quality of education one can get from GCCS's......I'm a GCCS's product, as is my wife and children.  We ALL received an EXCELLENT, FIRST CLASS EDUCATION from GCCS's!!!!!  It's there for the taking, and I've posted MANY times that the rankings / standardized test results, etc., etc. are the biggest bunch of malarkey that ever existed!!  I stand by that.  BUT, my point above was, with "crooked"(?) politics that IS GCCS's, maybe there ARE choices "just as good" (better?) as GCCS's.  You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mot-toe!!

Rod 

• Donna likes this

#18 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Sounds logical to me. Let's take our children out of the GCCS system where there are exceptional teachers and academic success stories and put them in a mediocre school system because we don't like the fact that one person on the board got in trouble with the law and took her punishment but did not resign from the Board. Yep, that'll show them.

I will not under any circumstances refer to GCCS as mediocre. But what I will say is that local private and charter schools in the area are exceptional. No need to prop one up by tearing another down.
  • HoosierEducator likes this

#19 HoosierEducator

HoosierEducator

TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

I will not under any circumstances refer to GCCS as mediocre. But what I will say is that local private and charter schools in the area are exceptional. No need to prop one up by tearing another down.

I stand corrected JAML, I agree about the private and charter schools.  I think I was referring to GCCS compared to Clarksville H.S. or New Albany.  Again, JMO.

#20 HoosierEducator

HoosierEducator

TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

Ha-ha......contrary to popular belief HE, you make my jelly roll (and BELIEVE ME.......it's a LOT of jelly!!).  I like you......you're funny, and bantering with you makes me all "tingly" inside (or is that gas??)   :hyper:   And I mean that with a sincere amount of respect!!  And I ABSOLUTELY will not argue with you regarding the quality of education one can get from GCCS's......I'm a GCCS's product, as is my wife and children.  We ALL received an EXCELLENT, FIRST CLASS EDUCATION from GCCS's!!!!!  It's there for the taking, and I've posted MANY times that the rankings / standardized test results, etc., etc. are the biggest bunch of malarkey that ever existed!!  I stand by that.  BUT, my point above was, with "crooked"(?) politics that IS GCCS's, maybe there ARE choices "just as good" (better?) as GCCS's.  You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mot-toe!!

Rod 

Hey, whatever it takes buddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users