• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

This news surprised me... I didn't think they would do this... 

The City of New Albany may run into trouble regarding the Federal Whistle Blower protection laws... 

NEW ALBANY — The same commission that New Albany Police Officer Laura Schook petitioned in May for help voted unanimously Monday to fire the 20-year veteran of the department for improper conduct. The decision by the New Albany Police Merit Commission was preliminary, as Schook has 10 days to file for a hearing. If a hearing is held, the commission will have to vote a second time on disciplinary action following testimony.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#2 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:28 AM

The City of New Albany may run into trouble regarding the Federal Whistle Blower protection laws... 

And I hope they do!!...Laura is an honorable woman.

• Pesty Version 2, Donna and HoosierEducator like this

#3 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

Laura has been a police officer long enough to know that you shouldn't make accusations you can't back up with evidence.  My understanding is the State Police investigated her accusations and turned over the results of that investigation to the Prosecutor. He apparently did not see sufficient evidence for charges. Whistelblower laws only protect you if your accusations prove true.  That is apparently not the case here. I always liked Laura and this whole saga is unfortunate.

#4 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

Laura has been a police officer long enough to know that you shouldn't make accusations you can't back up with evidence.  My understanding is the State Police investigated her accusations and turned over the results of that investigation to the Prosecutor. He apparently did not see sufficient evidence for charges. Whistleblower laws only protect you if your accusations prove true.  That is apparently not the case here. I always liked Laura and this whole saga is unfortunate.

Note to any future whistleblowers, huh.  Record and document before spilling the beans.  If she had video to release to the media right now, she'd be the queen in this situation.

• Quasar and Oldgoat like this

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

From a Facebook friend:  "The New Albany PD is not corrupt, never has been corrupt and bad things happen to anyone who says otherwise."

• kelley and Pesty Version 2 like this

#6 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

You would think our neighbors in Floyd County/New Albany had taken a beating on the fees in the Camm case over the years that they just recently had to pay off...in installments...

It looks now that they may be seriously staring down the gun of another fee churner! Taking actions against a whistleblower is a pretty serious business...almost as serious as officer "allegedly" run their side businesses while on duty...ought to be interesting.

• Tina likes this

#7 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

It seems really weird to fire a whistleblower.......

#8 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

Laura has been a police officer long enough to know that you shouldn't make accusations you can't back up with evidence.  My understanding is the State Police investigated her accusations and turned over the results of that investigation to the Prosecutor. He apparently did not see sufficient evidence for charges. Whistelblower laws only protect you if your accusations prove true.  That is apparently not the case here. I always liked Laura and this whole saga is unfortunate.

I do not know Ms. Schook. But, I will assume for this argument that she sought counsel prior to making any accusations. My thought here though is that New Albany better step very lightly. A civil action will allow differing standards of proof and free ranging discovery. For the police department to take this stance has to have an attorney somewhere drooling (the attorney can bill at a nice hourly rate, and the defendant would end up paying even if Ms. Schook won one dollar...attorney fees could range into the hundreds of thousands of dollars).

It will be a whole different group of people (including a jury...depending on the allegations, it may, and probably should, be in federal court) looking at it, instead of a city/county board. I don't know if I would be up to gambling if I were New Albany. Just my two cents.

• Tina and Donna like this

#9 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

New Albany...wake up...hearing soon.. I see the steps setting up for a sizable federal lawsuit and your elected officials are reacting by puffing out their chests. I see this ending badly for New Albany.. Just a gut feel...

• Tina likes this

#10 usmcdd

usmcdd

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

Has she been fired? I had heard there would be an executive session in the city building March 12 that would be discussing all of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users