125 replies to this topic

#101 sfizer

sfizer

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:08 AM

I have to disagree with you about Gilbert leaving Pait with no talent or lack of talented players.  His first team had 3 all conference performers in Ellis, Williams, and Harvey.  Then they added a talented PG in Hudson and Allen came back to play his senior year.  They also had some key contributors in Dale & Major.  Then you add some of the other guys and Pait's first team had a lot of talent.  

He just didn't do a very good job of meshing those guys and finding a way for them to be successful.   

• karen and Sleepy like this

#102 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

Dale hardly ever played. Key contributer? We're you at the games?
Matt had some talent, just not much quality height. No disrespect to the players.

#103 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

1 st year lots of talent ......

#104 sfizer

sfizer

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:07 AM

Kevin,

I attended every home game that season.  The Dale kid is athletic and helped out and did the "little things" when he was on the court.  Plus, he was an excellent teammate.  That team was good enough to win a lot more games.  BTW, I mentioned 6 other talented kids and you bring up the 7th man as an example of a team with no talent.  That's funny. 

• Sleepy likes this

#105 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:36 PM

I think he was referring to the Dale player that was on the team this year. 

#106 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

That's correct Karen. Well, it's over now. Let's move on, and hope the future is bright for the program.

#107 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

They need to make a smart decision on their next coach.  Forget the politically correct choices.

Don't worry about trying to find an alumni of Jeff.

Get someone that can motivate the students, walking the halls, to want to play the game.  Someone that can motivate the players.

The new coach needs to have a track record for high moral an ethical standards.

He needs to be someone that demands success in the classroom.

If they follow these standards, everything else will fall into place.

• karen and JeffResident like this

#108 Bulldog0605

Bulldog0605

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:12 PM

They need to make a smart decision on their next coach.  Forget the politically correct choices.

Don't worry about trying to find an alumni of Jeff.

Get someone that can motivate the students, walking the halls, to want to play the game.  Someone that can motivate the players.

The new coach needs to have a track record for high moral an ethical standards.

He needs to be someone that demands success in the classroom.

If they follow these standards, everything else will fall into place.

Get someone that can motivate the students, walking the halls, to want to play the game.  Someone that can motivate the players.:      This is Indiana, if that is what Jeff needs then Jeff is worse off then I thought...

#109 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

The people who brought you the last coach will bring you the

next coach.   How do you feel?   Have lessons been learned?

#110 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

The people who brought you the last coach will bring you the

next coach.   How do you feel?   Have lessons been learned?

laughing-smiley-face.gif

Shall we start a list of friends who need a job?

• IntegrityMatters likes this

#111 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Big Bopper said,   "the new coach needs to have a track record for high moral and ethical standards...."         Forgive me but this is a school system with a sitting school board member who plead guilty to a felony and is on probation for four years  ----- so just who is going to decide what "high moral and ethical standards" is?    Surely not the board!

• Not Super But Honest Mike, ctownmom and karen like this

#112 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

Luce aims to restore glory for Jeff hoops
By Justin Sokeland, @golfguru55
May 7, 2015

Jeffersonville basketball stands up historically with the great programs,” said Luce.

“That was something that is important to me, being involved with a program
that really cherishes that history."

“I’m taking on a challenge that needs some attention,” he said. “It’s been done before.
We’re not reinventing the wheel, it’s just putting the wheels back on the cart.
I’m very anxious to get started."
http://usatodayhss.c...or-jeff-hoops-2

#113 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

Luce wants to establish trust at Jeff
Thursday, May 7, 2015
BY KEVIN HARRIS

Thursday, May 7, 2015

JEFFERSONVILLE — New Jeffersonville head coach Joe Luce brings in a solid resumé to the tradition-rich Red Devil program.

Thursday at Jeffersonville High School, the Red Devil boss explained parts of his winning philosophy at a press conference where he was introduced as the new head coach. Luce said Jeff’s successful history and the challenge of trying to return the Red Devils to being one of the state’s top Class 4A programs.

“I wanted to take on a challenge that needed some attention, and that was getting Jeffersonville basketball back to being one of the best programs in the state and it hasn’t been that long ago [when it was a top program].”
We’re not reinventing the wheel here. We’re just putting the wheels back on the cart,” Luce said. “We’re stepping into a situation that has the correct support that is necessary from the top that provides a community that in my opinion is hungry for success in the basketball arena. The thing about the kids that I had a chance to meet today is that each and every one of them has an opportunity to redefine themselves. You can’t fake who you are. You have to be real and you’ve got to realize where you’re at. If you’re at a point where you can begin working on basketball skills because you have your character right, then that’s what you need to do.

“If it’s a character situation, you get yourself straight before working on your basketball skills. Everybody needs to redefine themselves beginning today and then start moving forward.”

Luce says the next step for Jeff is establishing a winning culture again.
http://www.newsandtr...fb6ebf7d8e.html

Edited by Savile Row, 10 May 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#114 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

“We have to start changing a culture

I think that has in the last couple of years

unfortunately gotten away from what Jeffersonville basketball is about,” he said.

http://www.gannett-c...HANH1K0.1-0.jpg

#115 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

Trust starts at the top --- and with the current situation regarding the $119 million referendum that has been kept secret for over a year and withheld from the public and press --- trust is certainly hard to find. How much is Luce being paid -- what is his actual job assignment --- was his wife promised a position -- was someone else in JHS admin pushed aside to create a spot for Luce? As with the referendum, transparency is lacking -- and therefore, so is trust.
  • karen likes this

#116 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

Good questions, IM.  GCCS has had a policy of only issuing a one year contract to coaches.  It's hard to believe that Luce would uproot his only family for a one year shot.  

#117 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

Some questions I have heard this weekend.

1.  Coach will bring 2 assistants  = 5 jobs (coach and wife, asst and wife and asst)

2. Coach only has a Bachelors but will be paid off the chart. Salary scale will not be followed

#118 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

Some questions I have heard this weekend.

1.  Coach will bring 2 assistants  = 5 jobs (coach and wife, asst and wife and asst)

2. Coach only has a Bachelors but will be paid off the chart. Salary scale will not be followed

Good questions --- I sure hope you are wrong about 5 jobs being created to get 1 coach who only has a bachelors degree.   It is sad that we put so much emphasis on sports.  I don't think we would ever do this to bring in a high caliber teacher.   I am all for kids playing sports -- but I don't believe we should have to create jobs for people just to get a coach -- or pay someone outside the salary scale.  That is just not right.   If he is the "Dean of Students" at JHS, I wonder who he is replacing as Dean.  Does anyone know?  Or is this just an extra position created just for him?  

#119 sfizer

sfizer

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

IM, 

Athletics are very important for a ton of reasons.  I understand your point and respect your opinion on this issue.  Athletics (along with other extra curricular activities) create a sense of accomplishment for our young people.  It also allows provides them an outlet away from peer pressures and academics.  If it wasn't for Athletics I wouldn't have NEVER went to college.  Plus as you progress through High School into college its a multi multi billion dollar a year industry.  Athletics creates millions and millions of jobs through out the world.  I still to this day use things I learned from my teams in my daily life.  

Its an important part of a vast majority of peoples lives.  I agree that GCCS shouldn't create 5 jobs just for a coach that could leave next year.  If I'm not mistaken the teachers union is the one that set the 1 year deals.  So that can't be changed for the coach.  What's even worse is that this coach is in a HUGE position of strength.  He controls everything.  The admin will much more reluctant to remove or punish a coach in which they gave so much too. 

• karen and Jules like this

#120 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

HS sports put two of my kids through college ( and will probably play some factor in the 3rd)...And even if it hadn't benefited them that way I still don't think you can downplay all the other positive things athletics can add to a students experience...No price on interacting with good coaches, learning teamwork and building the work ethic needed to be successful...My kids would have gone to college regardless, but for some, HS sports are their ticket to a better future.

• Avid Reader and JHS1982 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users