125 replies to this topic

#21 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

It does make sense, Jules.  In the 80's we had a pep club that met and prepared for cheering in the stands.  I honestly don't remember if we had good teams or not, I was there for the fun with my friends more than the game itself.  Students do work and have other commitments, plus admittance to the games should only be a $1.00 for Jeff students showing a school i.d.,  $5 adds up over a season and if you have more than one kid it adds up quickly.  I'm sure the attendance issue has many puzzle pieces but it was just a FEW years ago that the gym was packed and the fans were cheering.  I think we'd be seeing more of that had Gilbert stayed. 

#22 Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

I've heard that some private schools offer season tickets to all the elementary school students who have to attend with paying adults.  I think it is pretty smart.  Anyway to encourage attendance would be great.  

#23 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

Who sets the prices for the High School Games? High school basketball use to be the only game in town,now it is much more convienent and much cheaper to just keep your kids at home. Lower the prices of games and concessions and they will come.

Also,High School Coachs,should be givin a 5 year contract,(after careful consideration in the hiring process)this would inable the coach to establish some continuity. When a coach is under constant scrutiny(to WIN at all cost)they tend to tighten up and not have confidence in their players. X's and O's become more important(because the coach's ego makes them feel that his or her coaching ability will be the deciding factor)than the real reason anyone should coach in the first place:to help mold young men or women to become good,compassionate goal driven adults.To help them learn,respect and love for the game. And to me the most important thing that any coach should do,is be consistent and make sure your player no matter how talented has "FUN"(very few players can excell if they play the way most coach,tight and afraid if they make a mistake they will lose their position.)If a coach can make all his players know that he or she really cares for them and that all on the team are important,then and only then you have a "Good Coach"!

Coaches,Fans,Mommys and Daddys need to realize that basketball talent comes and goes,kids are only going to play for so long,and they better have fun while they can!

On a lighter note,I have watched Indiana High School Basketball for part of nine decades and I have never seen a Coach or Referee I liked!

#24 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

When he coached the girls he actually played them against each other(head games) and all but ruined any team bond.   He cut 2 players this year that have played all through high school and has boys on varsity that have not played since freshman year.  He refuses to start a senior who appears to be as good of a player as any on the team while starting a freshman and a sophomore.  As I've stated before, I think he knows the game but does not have the skills to motivate and earn the respect of the players.  Jeff would be in big trouble if they had a 5 year contract with this coaching staff. 

#25 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

Our son is a senior and goes to the games to support his friends who play Basketball. I will say one thing having your friends there cheering you on when it's tought really matters. He is among a group of kids that not only basketball but go to other sports games to cheer on friends. We haven't been to a game since our son stopped playing a few years back. I hope to go to the New Albany game if it works into my schedule. It was awesome to see him and his friends supporting the swim team during the Jefff vs floyd central swim meet. Their is more to Jeff High then Basketball. We have so many talented kids who play other sports who don't get the fan base. They get friends and mom and dad:) GO RED DEVILS!!
  • karen, Jules, JHS1982 and 1 other like this

#26 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

PawPaw

We don't even give Teachers a 5 year contract.

Wake up..Drink a Little joe

#27 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

Backinthegame

Good for your son.

Last game I went to I counted the students, 

I counted 27.  A far cry from the days when students

filled a section.

• backinthegame likes this

#28 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

Sleepy,thanks,you maybe giving me some good advice on the coffee,but it is hard to take advice on trying to wake up,from a person who goes by Sleepy.

#29 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Did the school board give ya the 5 year contract idea???

How about a 3 year revolving contract that renews itself automatically?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• karen and Donna like this

#30 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

effersonville Mighty Red Devils 2014-15

Top 10 Excuses:
10.) We will be better next year. Or the year after that. 
Or the year after that (This one was begun last year, in 2013-14.),
9.)It is the children's own dern fault.,
8.)When they started the game , dangit,
we weren't ready to play!,
7.)The sun got into the coaching staff's eyes AND their feet slipped!.,
6.)That thar Mighty Red Devils schedule thing, year in and year out,
is just too danged hard ( sniff, sniff).,
5.)Only ONE running mercy clock in nine games.,
4.)They need more 'TOOLs"!, 
3.)The girl's sticker being removed
from the floor has been sooo dang stressful for the coaches.,
2.) How could a person actually touch those dern dusty Yucky/Icky weights

to exercise? Ewww ! ( dis·gust·ing;to excite nausea or loathing).,
1.) It is George Bush's fault

Thought this was funny.

Not my work, taken from another site.

Edited by Sleepy, 06 January 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#31 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

#2 isn't so funny-it puts the excuses on the boys.  That's not where the problems are and shouldn't even be joked about.  These kids are working hard.   The rest, pretty darn funny!

#32 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Karen, I went to that sports information site that you were talking about.

hoosierhillshoops.com/forum/

The high school sports discussions.

I read   'Jeffersonville Mighty Red Devils 2014-15'.

It looks like  #2  on the  'TOP 10 Coaching Excuses List

was placed there  FACETIOUSLY

because a poster had actually said JHS had no talent!

Many of the posters challenged that and said that they do have VERY GOOD athletes again this year.

The CCC can engage in some good discussions.

Did George Bush actually also get blamed for the 2-7 record......

• karen likes this

#33 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

I have been reading that entire thread on the hoosierhillshoops.com/forum/ site called

" Jeffersonville Mighty Red Devils 2014-15".

It would be neat of the CCC got going on the sports information

on here.

Edited by Savile Row, 07 January 2015 - 12:11 PM.

• karen likes this

#34 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

JHS 1982, what is your opinion of the "situation" at JHS with the basketball coaching?

#35 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hereeeeeeeee we go............

#36 JeffResident

JeffResident

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Lots of 'coaches' out there on the message boards these days.
  • backinthegame likes this

#37 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

Savile Row:

I'll be perfectly honest with you:  Jeffersonville High School Athletics has frustrated me to NO END for the past 10 - 12 years.......so much so that I've become somewhat "disenchanted" with most of the programs!!  That saddens me to say, BUT I can also confidently say this is a similar position that a LOT of "old Red Devil supporters" have.  Many have stopped supporting the programs because of the "crap" that has gone on during those 10 - 12 years.  Some of the "debacles" I'm referring to are the Redman / Football debacle, the Al Rabe / Baseball debacle / the Lonnie Oldham / "Gradegate" scandal, the revolving door of coaches (basketball, volleyball, etc.), the Tony Branch / A.D. debacle.......I could go on and on.  BUT, these are some of the VERY reasons why one time BIG SUPPORTERS (ticket sales AND MONETARILY) no longer care / participate in JHS Athletics.  Don't take my word for it.......ask.  It's sad but true.  And as a former All-State Red Devil athlete, that saddens me to no end.  But, it's reality, and I FULLY understand why these one time supporters have grown tired of and moved away from the program.  Kinda like Little League.....it's NOT the kids that ruin it, but rather the D A M N adults!!!!  Yet the kids are the ones that suffer!!  THANK GOD my children were Red Devil swimmers.......the JHS Swimming and Diving program is one of the few successful programs year in and year out, battling for and winning HHC and Sectional Championships, not to mention sending MANY swimmers & divers on to State competition, as well as successful college careers!!  The track record is excellent, but that DOESN'T happen by mistake.........a STRONG AND EXCELLENT parent booster club that has been intact for MANY years, a successful club / "feeder system" that said parents AND swimmers alike have bought into, knowing they have to participate and be in the pool to achieve success, and fortunately, one of the best swimming and diving coaching staffs in the state, as well as the long-term stability of said coaching staff!!  THAT'S what it takes to be successful.  As stated, I'm SO GLAD my son and daughter participated in swimming.........this "stability" has allowed them to be successful at the next level (college), NOT ONLY IN THE POOL, BUT IN THE CLASSROOM AS WELL.  Swimming taught them that, if you want to find success, you've got to earn it and work hard in the pool.......a LIFE LESSON that NO textbook could EVER achieve.  But I digress.........

The "current" basketball situation is sad.  I won't go into my personal opinions on the coaching (don't want to be an armchair QB, and regardless of what I believe, I have NO control over what's done on the court!!), BUT I will say the treatment of Cory Norman (and other former Red Devil alums) based on his posts on the Hoosier Hills basketball blog (I'm not a poster, and was a first time reader based on the referral from Karen), is SAD, and just goes to show you the "debacles" mentioned above regarding the JHS Athletic Program is alive and well and still rearing its ugly head!!!  Sad that it's allowed to continue on.........what's the old saying (even after a changing of the guard):  "The faces have changed, but the breath remains the same - putrid!!"  Returning, successful alums like Mr. Norman should be WELCOMED back to the program, NOT kicked to the curb.  I guess I was spoiled during my Red Devil athletic days.......coaches like George Marshall, Don Poole, Doc Bolton, Rick Smith, Ward Weber, Bill Ware, Monica Fry, Tom Langraff, etc., etc., not to mention an Athletic Director like Ralph Scales........have that tendency to spoil you.  TRADITION!!!!!  ALL of the athletic programs back in those days (and NO, this IS NOT one of the "I walked 5 miles to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways stories but rather the TRUTH.....it's there in the archives) were FEARED throughout the state.  Jeffersonville athletics (REGARDLESS of the sport) was known throughout.  There was a sense of pride in wearing that letterman's jacket, and or stepping off of the team bus (Greyhound) Big Red!!!  Yes, we were "BADAZZES," and that's NOT being cocky.......we backed it up!!  The people I've mentioned above DEMANDED discipline from us.......not only on the field / court, but in the classroom!!  The A.D. worked his rear-end off to promote the programs (while in school, I remember Ralph Scales implementing the "spot-light introductions" at b-ball games, ala the "heyday UNLV days"........people (students and adult fans alike) went "ape-crazy" over this!!!).  Point being, the success we found (in ALL programs) did not happen by mistake.  Granted, the "dynamics" have changed nowadays (say what you want, but kids ARE NOT the same as they were back in the day......school pride is NOWHERE as important as it once was!!), but don't think for one minute the "dysfunction" is not caused by some of the crap that's allowed to go on (administratively, politically, etc., etc.).  It really gripes me to no end.  Unfortunately, it's NOT going to get any better until some changes are made (and maybe a few heads roll.......not saying which heads, but maybe they start at the building located at 2112 Utica-Sellersburg Road??).  You'll NEVER get back the "BIG money contributors" (or the loyal fan base you once had) as long as these "debacles" go unchecked and are allowed to continue to happen!!

Just one "former Red Devil" (and still proud to be a Red Devil, but it's waning severely because of the politics!!) opinion.  Stinks like hell, but all I know is "they've" KILLED a once proud, traditional / perennial state high school sports power.  And it's a diddly-dang shame they've let a "few" do the killin'!!

Just the way I see it, and I'll leave it at that!!

Rod Daily         

Edited by JHS1982, 08 January 2015 - 02:15 PM.

• karen, jsummerfield and Tina like this

#38 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

Whew! JHS 1982 just hit that one out the park!!!
  • karen and TuListo like this

#39 TuListo

TuListo

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

Dead on!
  • karen likes this

#40 karen

karen