125 replies to this topic

#1 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

Has anyone else been watching this season?  It's a shame that with the talent of these boys that they're not doing any better.  I wonder how long the admin will let this continue. Pait did a crappy job with the girls team for a couple of years and this is season two of the same with the boys.  I think it's time for a change.  What are your thoughts?

#2 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

I dunno... I thought they did a fine job against Silver Creek!  :yes:

#3 JeffResident

JeffResident

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

Talent? I mean this as no slight to the boys, but this is the thinnest roster that Jeff has had in many years.

Might want to reconsider the attitude about replacing Pait. Five head coaches since Broughton left. For that alone, the school had some trouble attracting solid candidates the last time. Nobody does the witch hunt quite like the Jeff fans.
  • JeffreyEsarey and flowergirl like this

#4 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

Yes, talent.  Each of these boys has enough talent for Jeff to be competitive .  A coach's job is not only to know the x's and o's, which I think Pait does, but to motivate and bring out the best in each player and to motivate them as a team.  I think this is where he is lacking.  

You might be onto something with them trying to find a new coach, but I never heard exactly who applied the last time.  I wasn't sure I believed that it was as difficult as was portrayed or if they didn't even try to recruit.

The success of the girls under a new coach is example enough of his abilities.  

• backinthegame likes this

#5 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

It may get worse before it gets better.

When was the last time Jeff lost to a 1A school?

#6 rhouchens

rhouchens

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

I watched a scrimmage and it is true they don't have as much talent as in past their best player that left the team last year I have been told transferred to Jennings County but the scrimmage I watched there was very little coaching but it was only the second week of practice they may have been just seeing what the kids could do but I was very surprised very few big kids mostly small shooting guards they will probably struggle in the HHC.

#7 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

This from a local Basketball forum:

Jeffersonville Mighty Red Devils 2014-15

Some information:

This was the first ever loss by Jeffersonville to a Class A team since the inception of class basketball began in Indiana in 1997......

This is the fewest points scored by Jeffersonville High School 
since a 72-33 loss to Crispus Attucks in 1961-62
52 YEARS.
As a noted sage remarked:
Epic.

icon_redface.gif

My guess is that there is probably one senior on the team who would like to play college ball at a small school.  The admin and athletic directors need to be aware that the coaching staff can and does affect some scholarship monies going to seniors.  I've heard that Pait cut a couple of seniors that have played all through high school, lost one senior to another school, mostly due to the players actions, but which Pait holds some blame.  And has a couple of players on varsity that haven't played basketball since their freshman year.  

Epic fail on the school and coaching staff.  The players have the talent to be competitive, just not the coach to help them get there. 

#8 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:01 AM

I am not qualified to say whether or not Coach Pait is doing a good job or not because I have not seen the team play or practice.

I have some experience and have researched the issue of HS coaches and their roles in getting kids scholarships. The fact is that since the NCAA changed the rules a number of years ago that defined the dates college coaches can see players play, the role of the HS coach in college recruiting has become far less important. More important to college recruiting these days is the role of the players' travel teams during the off-season. Players get exposure through those teams much more than they do their respective HS teams because these tourneys occur during NCAA observation periods.

The result is sad because these days the AAU team is more important to the college-bound HS player than his/her HS team.

#9 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

It may get worse before it gets better.

When was the last time Jeff lost to a 1A school?

Do you think they should be playing a 1A school? This could be the fault of a AD?

#10 JeffResident

JeffResident

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

It may or may not be time to replace Coach Pait. All I know is that nobody seems to be happy with whomever is in that seat. Gilbert bolted after two seasons. And it sounded like multiple coaches passed on the job after he left. So maybe a lot of things need to be looked at before you go hunting for another coach. 

it's high school basketball folks. Not the NBA. Don't be surprised when quality teachers and people look at the last decade or so and decide moving down here isn't worth the risk. 

• Tina likes this

#11 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

Does Jeff Play tonight?

#12 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

Does Jeff Play tonight?

7:30

#13 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

hoosierhillshoops.com has a forum with some insight on the situation at Jeff.

#14 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

Ouch..Ouch

#15 TuListo

TuListo

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

The JHS Athletics Dept is a pale imitation of what it once was.

Sad to see.

C. Norman made some very valid points in the above mentioned blog.

I personally feel that the overall state of the athletics programs at JHS (some are in good shape) is a by-product of a meddling administration who thinks they have it all figured out.

It's been a circus ever since Ralph Scales stepped down.
  • karen likes this

#16 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

As a former JHS athlete...I find it nearly impossible to have a school with somewhere near, (or greater) than 2000 students that cannot find the athletes to never lose to a 1A school. When I saw the score, it made be sit up and asked just what is going on there.

I just find this a little hard to take on its face. I believe it's time for another visit to JHS (who, i remind you, sold out every basketball game during my time there from '72-'76) to try and get a handle on what is happening there.

• karen likes this

#17 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

The boys had another loss by 18 last night.  These kids are athletic but just aren't prepared when hitting the floor.  

#18 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

Grayarea

Don't go to the Game. If you remember sell outs you will be shocked.

This team has the worst following of any team in the area.

I never thought I would say this, but Jeff has a fare weather fan base currently.

Season ticket section is laughable.  Im sure the old devils will show up for the

NA game and act like true fans, after that back to non support.

SAD  SAD  SAD

#19 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

Let's HOPE the old fans show up.  It has to be disheartening for the players.  New Albany fans will show up in droves Friday night.  Let's try to get some Jeff supporters there.  It's $5 to get in, a few bucks for popcorn and a soda.  These boys need some fans yelling in the stands and standing for the school fight song.  

#20 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

I think a lot of things have come into play in regards to the attendance at JHS B-ball games...Quality of teams, coaching, school "politics", kids working/choosing other things to do with their spare time, and whether you love it or hate it class ball ( and yes I do think it's a factor)...But there's something else in regards to fans that I'm not sure I can put into words exactly but will try...I think part of Jeff's fan problem is that the student population now includes many more students whose families aren't originally from Jeff and who don't feel any real connection to the tradition that was JHS basketball...They and/or their parents don't remember those teams from the 50's/70's or the Broughton teams...I  think that many students don't feel a "hometown" affinity to the school anymore because they don't have that much history in the school or the city of Jeffersonville.

I think the JHS student demographic has changed more than perhaps New Albany's has...( Using NA because of the obvious similarities in cities and basketball tradition)...And while New Albany has probably lost some of their fan base I don't think it's on quite the same level as Jeff has.

Just a theory and probably only another small piece of the puzzle...But, does that make any sense to anyone??

• karen, River City Kid, Donna and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users