#1 Poppie

Poppie

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

http://www.newsandtr...f09fe90078.html

could it be costco ? this is exciting news, hopefully, for sellersburg !  we better get the stretch of 31 from SCHS to hamburg retooled though.  its insane trying to get anywhere in sellersburg now.   cmon, we can do it!

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

I don't think it is Costco, but I'd be in favor of that.

If it's the other big box retailer that we already have 2 of in this area, I will be more "meh" than excited.  I actually like Sellersburg the way it is.  Clarksville is close enough.  I like Sellersburg being a quiet town.

• karen and Poppie like this

#3 Poppie

Poppie

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

No! I need anything except a Wm. What a bubble buster you are! Lol
  • kelley likes this

#4 MrCrowder

MrCrowder

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

US 31 is already a nightmare. A one-lane road north and south through the busiest part of Sellersburg, especially during rush hour or school time. Can you imagine a major retailer and the extra traffic?  They better plan long and hard to address traffic before building anything like that.
 Just look at the disaster Veterans Parkway already is, and now adding Menards. 

• Poppie likes this

#5 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

I was told months ago that it was going to be Wal Mart. Ye Gods, the traffic will be horrific. Charlestown Road (or whatever it's now called) should be 4-lane from Sellersburg to New Albany. Actually, need four lanes in Sellersburg, beginning at the intersection with County Road 403.

• Poppie likes this

#6 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

I'm sorry.  I just don't see the need for a Wal-Mart at Exit 9 when there's one at Exit 5 plus another one on Grantline Road in New Albany.  

I'll admit I don't like Wal-Mart and don't shop there more than once a year or so but, regardless, wouldn't it be overkill to have another one so close to the two existing stores?

• kelley and Poppie like this

#7 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

This is a good example of the cart before the horse.  The town has invested in developing the property and now they need development (taxpaying businesses) to pay back the bonds.

This is why it is ALWAYS better to let market forces do the work instead of TIF.

Edited by Tina, 23 December 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#8 Poppie

Poppie

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

How does this process normally work in regards to surrounding roads and other infrastructure ? Do the retailers get a say in that or does the city have to build , in order to entice ?

That land behind Taco Bell is a great place, as well as in Hamburg at the exit.   Really cant believe that the spot where the old 76 truck stop was hasn't been built up yet. 

• Tina likes this

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

How does this process normally work in regards to surrounding roads and other infrastructure ? Do the retailers get a say in that or does the city have to build , in order to entice ?

That land behind Taco Bell is a great place, as well as in Hamburg at the exit.   Really cant believe that the spot where the old 76 truck stop was hasn't been built up yet. 

In the 'days of old' businesses built where they could find demand for their product.  They would look at things like population, median income, etc and decide where they wanted a location.  They would buy a parcel and develop. Yes, even the roads sometimes!  Residential developers still have to build their own roads.

Somewhere along the way, cities & towns decided they didn't want to wait for organic growth.  So TIF was created.  Now the cities & towns build the roads, water/sewer lines, etc where they want development and then beg for businesses to come.  As we've seen in the case of the Jeffersonville side of Veteran's Pkwy, sometimes it can take quite a while.  This makes the situation even worse as the bonds to pay off the initial development sit out there waiting to be paid off...  So they get even more desperate to "sell" the lots.  They need money coming in from taxes off those businesses to pay back the loans.

• Donna likes this

#10 Poppie

Poppie

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

huh. so sellersburg needs to create TIF funds ? is that the same pot of money that a new school would be coming from ?

as you can see, im oblivious to how all this really works. 

#11 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

Sellersburg has already created TIF funds.  That's how the Camp Run development got started.  

New school money would come from a referendum, which will be voted on by the people on our ballots either in May or November and either in 2015 (which is what they SHOULD do) or in 2016.  I think it has a higher likelihood of passing during municipal elections.  But I'm guessing too many on the school board fear it'll mess with their re-elections in 2016 so they'll hold it off til then.  

• Donna likes this

#12 Beerguy

Beerguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

Nothing like selling out to a big box store and using our tax money to pave the way for them to come in. 10-15 years from now, there will be an empty big box building that the community won't know what to do with.

#13 Egghead

Egghead

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

I just don't get it. Why would Sellersburg want to attract a big box retailer? Many residents choose to live in Sellersburg because there are NOT major retail developments. In a sense, Sellersburg is great "bedroom" community. My opinion is the town is just not quite big enough with enough infrastructure to support an endeavor of this sort. Kind of like putting a round peg in a square hole...

Edited by Egghead, 24 December 2014 - 10:46 AM.

• Oldgoat and Tina like this

#14 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

Friend of mine (not on Chatter) says it's going to be a COSTCO.  They'll kick Sam/Walmart's tooshie.  I'm gonna be one happy camper (a broke one but happy) when we have a Menards AND a Costco.

#15 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

I've heard Costco, and also a Zaxbys with it, which would be good, I'm sick of not having many options when I don't take my lunch to work. I agree though, traffic will be nuts! I work near the I65/31 interchange, and some days traffic heading into Sellersburg from New Albany is backed up for a mile or more, no way that stretch of road could handle that much more traffic without MAJOR upgrades.
  • CityBoy likes this

#16 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Littletommy you will have a BBQ option for lunch soon. The BBQ Cowboy is opening up a store there at the old coffee shop where he sets up for lunch most days of the week. He told me it would be around super bowl sunday or shortly after. I am looking forward to him having a brick and mortar store so I can get the good BBQ easier than chasing him down!

• kelley, HoundDog, Tina and 2 others like this

#17 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Well they better do SUMthin' with'a roads in S-burg.. :logik: ...ya cain't git thru it, now........

#18 Poppie

Poppie

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

I haven't had bbq cowboy, but we had rubbin butts a few weeks ago. It was pretty good. I'm up for any new small business coming to the burg, but there's no way the roads could support any large retailer. Anybody in the know on the road situation in that area?

#19 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

Littletommy you will have a BBQ option for lunch soon. The BBQ Cowboy is opening up a store there at the old coffee shop where he sets up for lunch most days of the week. He told me it would be around super bowl sunday or shortly after. I am looking forward to him having a brick and mortar store so I can get the good BBQ easier than chasing him down!

Nice! I love the BBQ from him, bad thing is, when I get it for lunch, all I wanna do the rest of the day is lay down and take a nap.He's a nice guy, too.

#20 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

Nice! I love the BBQ from him, bad thing is, when I get it for lunch, all I wanna do the rest of the day is lay down and take a nap.He's a nice guy, too.

Yea its good stuff and filling!! He's a awesome guy too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users