Photo

Is a Charlestown City employee working at Charlestown High?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

Good Lord.

Edited by CityBoy, 15 December 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#22 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

It sounds like any complaints should be voiced to GCCS.  They are responsible for who is in  the buildings.  This should be taken up with Mr. Melin.

#23 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:59 PM

Good Lord.

Well here's the deal. If they haven't, then some are either implying that this person is encouraging support for Hall, which is just speculation, or worried that this benefit is swaying them, which is no different than someone supporting a candidate because they lowered your taxes.

#24 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

Well here's the deal. If they haven't, then some are either implying that this person is encouraging support for Hall,supporting a candidate because they lowered your taxes.

She attempted to get two City Council members to meet with school principals -- at the high school -- to discuss Hall's plan to raze Pleasant Ridge. She then attended the special meeting of the City Council, and spoke in favor of Hall's plan. That isn't speculation. THAT IS A FACT!  (By the way, when he learned of this, Doctor Melin put a stop to it, and the meeting was cancelled. He obviously disagrees with you on this.)  If she wants to sway City Council members (or students, for that matter) she should do so outside the school's facilities. My tax dollars are hard-earned, and I'm damned tired of the Charlestown schools being used by Bob Hall for political gain.

worried that this benefit is swaying them, which is no different than someone supporting a candidate because they lowered your taxes.

Do you really mean to say that it's OK for a politician's employee to be placed in a school, and for that employee to attempt to sway students, as long as you think the employee is lobbying students on the "right" side of an issue?

Edited by CityBoy, 15 December 2014 - 05:03 PM.

• pirate1 likes this

#25 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

Again: She attempted to get two City Council members to meet with school principals to discuss Hall's plan to raze Pleasant Ridge. That is the hottest political issue in town. She then attended the special meeting of the City Council, and spoke in favor of Hall's plan. That isn't speculation. THAT IS A FACT!

Do you really mean to say that it's OK for a politician's employee to be placed in a school, and for that employee to attempt to sway students, as long as you think the employee is lobbying students on the "right" side of an issue?

I'm still waiting for someone to say students have come home saying that they were encouraged to support Hall. Just because she supports something you don't like doesn't mean she can't work in the school.

#26 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:44 PM

I don't want to sound like a snob, but here goes.

Why do we have two people, 1) Mayor  2) New Employee

being able to put a person in the HS to encourage kids to go to college.

Neither person even has a college degree !!!  This is a slap in the face

to those in our schools with degrees in both counseling and Education

that I am sure would love this job.  Both may be great people.  But I would

think a person with a college degree would be more of an asset.

• pirate1, CityBoy and Old Pawpaw like this

#27 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

City Boy

CEEF was started to aid the Elem, Middle and HS of Charlestown.

Each principal and the mayor makes up the board.

Money has to be spent in the schools/for the schools and must

be approved voted on by the board.

What am I missing?  What are you saying is being done wrong?

#28 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

Edited by CityBoy, 15 December 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#29 Egghead

Egghead

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

I'm with Jeff all my life, what are some specific examples of this person encouraging the students to support Hall? How is counseling a college senior about options after they graduate considered politically motivated?

#30 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

From what I have read here, it appears that this person does not have proper credentials to be counseling students in the schools.   Last time I checked the state of Indiana required a specific educational license to do that.  

And isn't it troubling, if it is indeed true, that this person is paid with TIF funds.   Has anyone contacted the State Board of Accounts of the local prosecutor?

• pirate1 and Old Pawpaw like this

#31 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

And if they are not qualified to do what they are doing, then remove them by all means. If they are being paid inappropriately, then get rid of them. But all I have read is insinuations of influencing students by people who don't like Hall.

Again, just because someone supports someone and/or something you don't like, doesn't mean they can't work in the school. Somewhere along the way it became correct to hate someone just because they disagree you politically. And that is very wrong.

Edited by Jeff all my Life, 15 December 2014 - 05:57 PM.

• Donna likes this

#32 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

I don't know anything about this counselor or the payroll sources, but I can tell you that most high schoolers could give a rat's butt what the political flavor of the day is. They're too busy with school, homework, extracurricular activities and jobs. Throw in the community service requirements of most colleges, and, they are tapped out.

Everyone is allowed to have their own political stance and it should not be tied to their job.
  • karen likes this

#33 Egghead

Egghead

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

Other than the "fact" she tried to be a liaison between the principals and the council, what facts do you have of any wrong doing, whether it be influencing students, where her pay comes from, who she voted for? Because at this point there are sevreal posts that are borderline slanderous

#34 Egghead

Egghead

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

As for her qualifications? I believe, and may be mistaken, she works in the college and career research center, which I believe is a specific computer lab set up for students to research post-secondary options. I believe she assists the students on how and where to search. I'm not sure where the college degree requirement comes into play. There are aides and support workers all over the scool that do not have degrees.

#35 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

Egghead,why would the Mayor of Charlestown want to have a private meeting between the school principals and just two of the five council members?

Why would the principals need a liaison,do hostilities exist between the City Council and the principals,do they speak a different language than our council members?

Why not have a public meeting? Can the principals not be placed on the agenda and voice their opinions at a public meeting? I think I know the answer to this question,political issues and our schools are not suppose to mix.I am sure the reason Dr.Melin cancelled the meeting is just that.

#36 Egghead

Egghead

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:48 AM

I will never claim to know what someone's motives are for their actions unless they directly tell me why they did it.

As for the questions regarding the existing relationship between council and school principals, I do not have an answer. All I can do is make guesses. Honestly, not knowing much about the principals or even the councilors in question, I would not even venture a guess.

#37 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

So EGGHEAD

Is she paying paid as an Aid???

I doubt that.

#38 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

Anyone who works in a school is held to a higher standard,these standards are put in place to protect our children .

When this young lady tried to organize a meeting between the TWO city council members and the High School Principals, to try to change one or both of the council members opinions on the political subject of razing homes.

She violated these standards.

I,nor do I believe any of  the people posting on this site believe this young lady to be a bad person.

But, when anyone involved with the education of our children,either on their own or with the direction of a Mayor, brings a political issue into our schools,an intervention by the Superintendent becomes a necessity.

• CityBoy and Sleepy like this

#39 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

Well, Old Pawpaw, good luck with that! The superintendent won't even censure his own board, but why should he? A "yes" vote is a "yes" vote.

Pretty sure other felons are not allowed on school property to protect our children. Just a wild guess, this rule does not apply to School Board TRUSTEES.

#40 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

Well, Old Pawpaw, good luck with that! The superintendent won't even censure his own board, but why should he? A "yes" vote is a "yes" vote.

In this case, Donna, Dr. Melin stepped up; he saw to it that the meeting was cancelled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users