Photo

Is a Charlestown City employee working at Charlestown High?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

I was at the Charlestown City Council meeting on Dec.8th,the subject of the council meeting was the razing of the Pleasant Ridge Subdivision. One of the people who spoke in favor of the razing was a young lady that I was told is an employee of the City of Charlestown. This young lady suppossedly works at Charlestown High School as a college councilor or some type of college placement person.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard this and if so,how is she paid,and is this legal?

It seems to me that,"If" this young lady is an employee of Charlestown Mayor Bob Hall,it could be a distinct disadvantage for anyone running for political office against him. If this young lady is allowed to voice an opinion(that is in favor of Hall's agenda)to try to sway the public to the Mayor's way of thinking,it sure seems that this young lady could influence high school seniors to do the same.

#2 Victor Truth

Victor Truth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

Yes she is paid by Bob Hall

Is she paid out of Tif dollars?

Half GCCS Half Tif ?

Tif would be illegal, but he has done this before.

Edited by Victor Truth, 13 December 2014 - 01:13 PM.

• Sleepy likes this

#3 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Bob Hall's footprints are in every hall in all of our schools. The GCCS board should put a stop to this politicalization of the schools.
  • pirate1 and Old Pawpaw like this

#4 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

I just thought of another part of this situation that is troublesome to me,everybody pays taxes,monies that go to the school corporation,and rightfully so.

City taxes are supposed to be used for city services and city payrole.

Residents of Charlestown are paying Clark County School tax,and are paying City tax.

In my opinion if you do not live in Charlestown City and send your children to Charlestown High,you receive the benifit of Bob's employee, on the backs of Charlestown City tax payers.

I believe,if this young lady's position is needed in Clark County Scools,it should be funded by Clark County School tax.
  • Sleepy likes this

#5 Victor Truth

Victor Truth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Why does New Washington and Jeffersonville not have this deal.
  • Sleepy likes this

#6 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

Victor Truth,New Washington and Jeffersonville do not have Bob Hall envoved in their schools. At least not yet!His "Vision" range may increase!

#7 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

Please allow me to be a very respectful dissenter here. Read the Indianapolis Star this week, it features a story about funding in public schools. It discusses the complexity of school funding and how difficult the issue is in making sure all kinds of school districts, urban to rural get the right funding. It is a very good read.

The reason I bring that up is that units of government best serve children and taxpayers when there is cooperation between the units. As an example, winter is coming, wouldn't it be great if we had cooperation so that cities and towns all over our county and state come together with school districts and remove snow, spread salt, and work together so that those services are offered without duplication. That sounds reasonable and good for students, taxpayers and communities. It also seems reasonable that one of the things that makes for great schools is community ownership. Cooperation between a mayor, a town council and school district leadership seems like a way to get more things for our kids and schools at less costs to taxpayers.

My point is that agree with Mayor Hall or not, the idea that Charlestown is working as a community to improve education is a good thing. It is a lot better than the city turning its head and not being a partner at all. Heck, maybe the criticism should be how we as taxpayers demand more services at a lower cost through taxing unit cooperation.

#8 hoppy

hoppy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

Very well said.

#9 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

Holy Cow,I agree with you on the importance of cooperation,when it comes to services like snow removal,sreading of salt,and I will include police protection,we all must be on the same page.

BUTT I was not refering to any of these SERVICES,I was refering to a Mayor putting a city employee(who it seems, supports the mayor's agenda)into a position in our public schools, that may or may not influence our youth!

As a community,I think we should rely on the Greater Clark School Corperation to guide our children, and not an employee of BOB Hall.

#10 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

My point is that agree with Mayor Hall or not, the idea that Charlestown is working as a community to improve education is a good thing. 

This sounds good, Holy Cow, but it’s not what is happening in the Charlestown schools. The placement of this employee in our high school was never discussed – nor was it sanctioned – by the City Council.  It is solely a Bob Hall move. She serves as the liaison with CEEF (Charlestown Excellence in Education Fund). In that role, she recently invited two members of the City Council to a meeting with school principals, to discuss Hall’s effort to raze Pleasant Ridge. That is a POLITICAL ISSUE. She, Bob Hall, and the principals should be ashamed of themselves for attempting to use the schools to influence a political issue. If anyone ever doubted that Hall’s involvement in the schools is to further his political ambitions, that episode alone should put it to rest.

There are plenty of other examples of Bob Hall using the schools for political gain. It has gotten way out of hand. The blame for this falls squarely on the shoulders of the school principals and the Greater Clark School Board. It's past time for those people to stand up to Bob Hall, and tell him "NO MORE!"

• pirate1 and Old Pawpaw like this

#11 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

Holy Cow,

I am with you  as long as Tif dollars are not being used for the salary. This is illegal.

Also, We should implement in Jeff and New Washington.  Of course I thought this was the

job of the counselors but   who knows.

#12 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

City Boy,  has anyone contacted Tony Hall??

Doesn't he represent Charlestown??

#13 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Sleepy, how about this scenario:

•  A City Councilman (let's call him Nothall) charters a private "educational" fund, using city money he secretly diverts to that purpose.  

• Nothall persuades local businesses to contribute money to his private fund

• Nothall persuades the high school principal to provide an office for Nothall's employee (let's call her Notkerry)

• Notkerry has no qualifications to counsel students, nor is her role defined by the principal; her role is to further the political interests of Councilman Nothall

• Notkerry sets up a meeting between the school principals and two members of the City Council, for the sole purpose of opposing Mayor Hall's agenda

I sincerely hope you can see the situation for what it really is, not for what Bob Hall would have us believe.

Edited by CityBoy, 15 December 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#14 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

OUCH......I bet the job was not posted either.

#15 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

Twas the night before Christmas in Charlestown

Twas the night before Christmas,and all thru the city,
you can't drink the water,but the lights sure look pretty!

There is a 52 foot tree,and trains and rockets,
by stealing people's homes,Bob Hall, may fill his pockets!

By having his employee, in our high school,one must surmize,
Bob Hall,our children,he is trying to politicalize!

Thru the lights and the glitter,we must be reminded,
that Bob Hall's sole purpose is to keep us all blinded!

People of Charlestown,please take care,
of Mayor Bob Hall,you must BEWARE!

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
  • CityBoy likes this

#16 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

So do we find out how every employee of the school voted, and if you don't like the candidates they supported, we fire them because they could influence a bunch of kids who aren't old enough to vote and more than likely don't care about politics?

#17 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

WHAT?????
I don,t really care how other employees vote or voted,I do care if any employee tries to influence our children,thru politics.

She is an employee of Bob Hall,not Greater Clark Schools.

She councils seniors who are close to voting age,if not 18 already.

If the kids don't care about politics,don't you believe they should form their beliefs from un-biased professional educators.

#18 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

So do we find out how every employee of the school voted, and if you don't like the candidates they supported, we fire them because they could influence a bunch of kids who aren't old enough to vote and more than likely don't care about politics?

I said nothing about how the employee or fictional employee voted.  She cannot be fired by the school, because she isn't a school employee. But count me as being first in line to fire any school teacher or administrator who openly attempts to influence the political beliefs of students when they are under their care. We've got enough of that crap in our colleges and universities. We certainly don't need it in our secondary schools.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but it seems to be about setting up a straw man. If you think it's OK for a politician to use city money to gain political influence in the school system, just say so. If that is your belief, then I think you should be willing to accept having numerous politicians granted the same access to our students as Bob Hall currently enjoys. 

A closing note that sometimes gets lost in the shuffle: Hall's foundation, CEEF, is NOT connected to city government, other than the fact that he misappropriated city funds, and misused city employees, to get it chartered

Edited by CityBoy, 15 December 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#19 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Greater Clark School board members,I would like to hear your opinion or opinions on this topic,if you are out there please respond!
  • CityBoy likes this

#20 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

So have students come home saying that they were encouraged to support Hall?

Edited by Jeff all my Life, 15 December 2014 - 02:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users