39 replies to this topic

#21 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

TeacherKY did a great job addressing the school board. Didn't change a dang thang! But at least, they are on notice that we are paying attention and their foibles matter, if not to them, then to staff, students, parents and voters. There is an intolerable arrogance of refusing to resign because they are not OBLIGATED to do so.

Contact your state senators & representatives and ask for a bill that OBLIGATES elected officials to adhere to ethics and the rule of law or be ejected from their elected position.
  • IntegrityMatters, JHS1982, Serve and 1 other like this

#22 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:18 PM

Anyone with any character or ethics would be so ashamed of being charged of theft, indicted, arrested and having their mug shot in the newspapers and on tv that they would not want to show their face in public.  Anyone with an ounce of ethics would be so embarrassed by pleading guilty to theft charges that they would voluntarily resign rather than being so arrogant as to think that everyone who voted for them would do so again if they had known of felony charges .  To continue in your role as a school board member is beyond the pale.  Ms. Perkins I agree with Captain Picard and countless others  -- you should resign.  In fact, you should have resigned months ago.  The Red Cross board did not hesitate in asking you to resign.  Likewise, the other six members of the school board should step up and ask you to resign as well.  Yes, we all know that they can't "force" you to resign - but they certainly don't have to support your decision to stay.  If board members wrote letters to the judge in your case -- or if the superintendent or other administrative personnel wrote letters -- they should be ashamed.   How on earth can any Board member in good conscience vote on the termination of an employee or staff member for any wrongdoing --- will they ask if the person is suffering from depression before reprimanding them?  Somehow I doubt that they will --- and I doubt they will write letters of support.  Your actions have not only hurt your credibility, but the credibility of this entire Board.  As a long-term educator I fail to see how you don't recognize how your actions have hurt this Board and this district.

Board members should be people of integrity and be held to high ethical standards in their public and personal life.   They should be role models  --- people that the staff, students and parents can look up to.   Does anyone on this Board have any ethical standards?   Right now it certainly doesn't look like it.

I also encourage everyone to contact their state senators and representatives and get this law changed.  Elected officials are not above the law. 

• JHS1982 likes this

#23 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:35 PM

Well, at least, I'm not the ONLY ONE PIZZED OFF!
  • IntegrityMatters likes this

#24 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

Donna -- there are a LOT of people "pizzed off" as you say.   Lots.  They may not be vocal, but they are indeed shaking their heads and talking to their friends, neighbors and co-workers.   I think this Board and Ms. Perkins and the admin are counting on people to "forget" all about this in a few weeks and that no one will remember come the next election.   I am afraid that they are very, very wrong.   This will not be forgotten.                                                                                          

• JHS1982 likes this

#25 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:05 AM

Donna -- there are a LOT of people "pizzed off" as you say. Lots. They may not be vocal, but they are indeed shaking their heads and talking to their friends, neighbors and co-workers. I think this Board and Ms. Perkins and the admin are counting on people to "forget" all about this in a few weeks and that no one will remember come the next election. I am afraid that they are very, very wrong. This will not be forgotten.

OH, I GUARAN- D A M N-TEE PEOPLE WON'T FORGET IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!!! I'll be like the worst hemorrhoid these people have EVER ENCOUNTERED, and PREPARATION H WON'T TOUCH IT!! Take that to the bank!!!

Rod Daily

Edited by JHS1982, 17 December 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#26 TeacherKY

TeacherKY

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:46 AM

Here is my speech from last night's school board meeting.  I do have something to say to the older gentleman in the front row last night, who recorded my speech on his cell phone and once I was finished coughed loudly and muttered "BULLS*&T" to anyone who could hear.  YOU SIR ARE A COWARD!  I have a right to say anything to the school board that is elected to represent me.  I did so professionally, spoke from the heart, and most importantly, with my name out loud and not hidden in a "cough."  That is what RESPONSIBLE CITIZENS do.  Maybe you should have taken my speech a little more to heart.  I would have liked the opportunity to discuss your opinions, but like a COWARD, you ran the moment that meeting was over.  

I will also say that I was impressed that Teresa Perkins did come over to me at the end of the meeting, shake my hand, and said she had no  hard feelings.  I also said it was not personal.  I have nothing against her as a human being.  My problem has always been that as a felon (at least until her probation is up and her record is wiped clean) she should not be allowed to have a seat on the school board.  She would not be allowed to hold a teaching license, so how can she in good conscience sit and make recommendations that directly impact teachers and employees of the GCCS system.  Okay, so now that I have said all that, here is the speech:

Good evening.  My name is Kelli Dattilo.  I am a JCPS high school teacher and a life-long resident of Jeffersonville.    

I am here today to address my school board and implore you to right a terrible wrong that has been brought before our district.  I ask each elected member here today to do what many of your constituents ask and request that Ms. Perkins resign her seat on the Greater Clark County School Board.

For me, teaching is a second career.  For fifteen years, I worked in banking and for a local check printing company.  For each of these jobs, I was required to meet certain criteria for employment such as fingerprinting by the FBI and credit and intense background checks to ensure I could be trusted with others confidential information and money.  This was a requirement of the job and I accepted those terms willingly. 

In 2006, when I answered my calling to be a teacher, I knew that it would be the most demanding, difficult, yet rewarding position I would ever undertake.  I knew that as an educator, I would be held to a very high standard of ethical behavior and a level of professionalism that most people never achieve. 

“To ensure all students become responsible citizens who are prepared for college and ready for a career” is the mission statement at the high school where I teach.  Anyone who has ever been in the classroom knows that modeling is best practice and an effective method in teaching a difficult concept or skill.  So every day in my classroom and school, I model what it means to be a responsible citizen.  That is my job!!

As a school board, you have other responsibilities.  But ultimately, you must model the ethical behavior expected of your administrators, teachers, clerical staff, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, and students. 

After an hour long conversation with Ms. Perkins in which we discussed my concerns, she refuses to model what a responsible citizen should do after pleading guilty to a crime and resign the position she was elected to in good conscience.  It is my belief that she feels her felony charge has no impact or bearing on her work with the Greater Clark County School Board.  I disagree.    

Currently, the State of Indiana has no law that would require her resignation.  During our discussion, Ms. Perkins confirmed that she had resigned her board position with the American Red Cross according to their national guidelines for conduct and behavior.  So I ask this school board and members of the community to be a model of responsible citizenship and encourage Ms. Perkins to resign her elected position.  DO THE RIGHT THING.  SEND THE RIGHT MESSAGE.  Model for all that criminal offenses have a multitude of real-world consequences no matter if it is your first or 101st offense.  And as elected officials, you, like teachers and administrators, are held to a higher standard for ethical behavior.

Show us, the taxpayers of Clark County that we can trust you to do what is best for all stakeholders.    

Edited by TeacherKY, 17 December 2014 - 06:47 AM.

• IntegrityMatters, JHS1982, Serve and 2 others like this

#27 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

If she does not resign, the citizens of Clark County should protest.

I believe the news outlets would love it.

Set up a picket line at the administration building.  Let the media know when you are going to do it.

If she still doesn't resign, those pictures would work wonders in her next campaign!

#28 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

It is against state legislature to protest on school grounds.

She will not resign and, under current legislation, is not obligated to resign.

She probably does have the audacity to run again.

Continue to talk to friends, family, neighbors and co-workers. Voters need to be informed and this is one way to do it, legally.

Yeah! It sucks!
  • Serve likes this

#29 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

The newspaper printed Kelli's speech and posted it to facebook.

https://www.facebook...tif_t=notify_me

However, Tony Hall, district 2 board member, issued an emailed statement regarding Perkins’ case Dec. 4. He said while the board has no power to remove her and he’s had largely positive experiences working with Perkins, he hopes that won’t be misconstrued to “condone or condemn Ms. Perkins’ actions.”

“With that being said, I, along with many in the community and the district I represent, am entitled to my personal opinion,” Hall said in the email. “It is my belief that educational leaders, especially elected officials, should hold themselves to the highest ethical standard.”

“If Ms. Perkins chooses to remain a part of the Greater Clark County school board, I wish her well and will continue to cooperate and work with her in a professional manner,” Hall said.

Dattilo also said she had confirmed that Perkins had resigned her from her seat on the American Red Cross’ Clark County Chapter, per the national guidelines on conduct and behavior.

• IntegrityMatters, Donna and TeacherKY like this

#30 TeacherKY

TeacherKY

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

This is the part of the article that kind of made me cringe....

“As I always told my students — you did something bad but you are not bad. In my career working with people I have found that punishment and consequences, while necessary, should be accompanied with support and forgiveness and an opportunity to re-right their moral compass.”

My statement is this...THEY ARE KIDS!! As educators we are teaching them right from wrong. They are allowed mistakes, punishments, and forgiveness. That's why we don't hold young children legally responsible for their actions. Ms Perkins is an adult! A masters educated one at that. Her moral compass should be well established by now!
  • IntegrityMatters, JHS1982 and Donna like this

#31 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

Ms. Perkins was quoted in the article saying,

"I hope that those who are disappointed in me will look at my contributions throughout my life as the judge

did.  I am paying the consequences of my actions as prescribed by the judge and I will not allow any of these issues to interfere with the honor of serving on the board.  As I always told my students-- you did something bad, but you are not bad.  In my career working with people I have found that punishment and consequences, while necessary, should be accompanied with support and forgiveness and an opportunity to re-right their moral compass."

First -- the "consequences prescribed by the judge" were the legal consequences.  But that does not mean that she should not suffer consequences in her professional/work life.  If she were still teaching, she would have been asked to resign or be terminated long before any judge rendered a decision.  (Like the former JHS assistant principal; like the former CMS teacher; like a former custodian, etc. etc.)  The Red Cross Board certainly didn't care what some judge decided after her lawyers got through saying how wonderful she was and just made a "mistake" due to depression.  They asked her to resign immediately.  Her employer should not care what a judge prescribes.   The school board has a policy regarding discipline of certified and non-certified staff --- nowhere in this policy does it state that they will take into consideration what a judge prescribes.

Second, if she had committed this crime while teaching, she would most likely have lost her professional license -- again what a court judge decided would  make no difference.

Third, it is ridiculous to say that she will "not allow any of these issues to interfere with the honor of serving on the board".  Does she not realize that they already have?  These "issues" aka crime/felony have ALREADY tainted her "honor".  Refusing to resign taints not only her credibility but that of the entire Board.

Lastly, as TeacherKY just said, I also cringed at her last statement.  While I agree that people deserve forgiveness and a chance to reset their "moral compass"; she certainly should not be allowed to remain in her position as a "trustee" while attempting to reset her compass.  The Red Cross certainly didn't allow her to remain in her position -- why should the School Board?

The ONLY right thing to do is to resign.   The ONLY right thing for her fellow Board members and the superintendent to do is to encourage her to do so immediately. 

• JHS1982 and TeacherKY like this

#32 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

Apparently,  the comments here are having little or no effect. 

#33 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

How so, PV2?  Had no one spoken up or out, this would already be neatly swept under a rug.  That's not acceptable for any elected official.  If your sense of honor begins and ends with the seat you hold, the voters should be aware of that.

• TeacherKY likes this

#34 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

Of course.  They are aware.  I am simply noting that IM and other's comments are not doing anything except venting their own feelings. 

IM is very upset.  I guess that's good she/he has a place to vent. 

• Jules likes this

#35 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

She didn't pick her name out of a hat.

• Pesty Version 2 and TeacherKY like this

#36 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

Yes,  it's a very good name for her/him. 

• Donna likes this

#37 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

"Apparently" Pesty, just because you're friends with Ms. Perkins and want to give her a pass doesn't mean that the rest of us will sit idly by and do that!! Hmmmm.....depending on "which side of the fence you're on," I thought "Good Lawyering 101" taught the importance of battling for what you thought was right with tenacity? Maybe some of us missed class that day?!? But I'll continue with my tenacity!!

To insinuate that we who are railing about this debacle are "venting our own feelings" as if we're making this personal & not making a difference is misguided. Defend her all you want, that's your prerogative. But if you think our comments are "not doing anything," there are a PLETHORA of other threads you can read!!!

Oh, and by the way: WE GOT YOU TO COMMENT, DIDN'T WE?!? But "we" aren't making a difference. Pretty D A M N funny if you ask me!!!

Rod "Irrelevant" Daily

Edited by JHS1982, 17 December 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#38 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

As you well know,  I have given not one word in defense.  Please go on, along with IM with your opinions.  I encourage you, too, to start a petition and even write a letter to the editor. 

#39 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

As you well know,  I have given not one word in defense.  Please go on, along with IM with your opinions.  I encourage you, too, to start a petition and even write a letter to the editor.

Hmmm.......(in my best "lawyerin' voice), "Care to retract that statement, Pesty??" All good lawyers do their research!!! Maybe "not one word in defense" on the Chatter......but you're forgetting "terms of endearment" on Facebook. It's good to have friends who have friends who have friends.......lets 'ya "learn a lot."

And I think I will.......yeah, I just might start that petition. Thanks for the idea!!

Rod Daily

#40 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:28 PM

Yes...evidence is important. You won't find a single Facebook post that contradicts my word here.  So take that to the airport and put it on an aeroplane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users