39 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

Teresa, I am asking you to step down as a school board member.  I understand that sometimes things get out of control, even when we think they never will.  Even though we thin we would never get ourselves in a certain situation , somehow we do.  Not that you need my forgiveness, but I do forgive you and I certainly don' hate you in any way.  But, you were accused of a crime, charged with a crime, entered a guilty plea to that crime and accepted punishment for that crime.  You are in a position of leadership with teachers and students.  You help set policies and punishments concerning the very same things you were convicted of for these teachers and students.  That is wrong on so many levels.  How can you with clear conscience set policies that will probably cost a teacher his/her job if they steal, or are even accused of stealing when you in fact have been convicted of stealing?  You say that you were elected by the people to serve and you are going to serve your term because of that fact.  Well, to be fair, you were elected by the people before you were a convicted thief.  Do you not think that changes things significantly?  You have set a terrible example and I ask you to stand up, take responsibility and resign.  Get your personal life in order.  You can recover and overcome this.  It doesn't have to define your life.  But, you need to step down, out of a leadership position and get things straightened out in your personal life.  Knowing GCCS as I do we may very well end up with a hand picked rubber stamp "yes man".  But, sad as that is, it has nothing to do with what you need to do.  I for one will hold you in much higher regard in the future if you set an example of how leaders should handle themselves instead of being part of the "arrogance of politicians".  I wish you nothing but the best, but I ask you to step down.  And, I really think you will be the better for it.   

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, karen and 6 others like this

#2 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

Well said.  Hate the sin not the sinner.

• backinthegame likes this

#3 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

Absolutely well said, Captain!!

Rod Daily

#4 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

I agree completely.  It is time to set a good example for the students that you say you care so much for.

#5 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

It is also time that the other six Board members and the superintendent call for her resignation as well.
  • karen, flowergirl and Hickory Huskers like this

#6 Little Pickle

Little Pickle

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

If not, then it is something that the voters really need to remember next school board election time.  I just find the inconsistent treatment unacceptable.  If a teacher has to resign for being accused and/or convicted of a crime, then the same standards should certainly apply to the school board.  If not, then rehire the teacher who was caught with marijuana at Charlestown and the guy who was caught stealing at his part time job (which brings into question why we aren't paying our teachers enough so they have to have part time jobs but that is another thread entirely.)

• IntegrityMatters, Tina, Donna and 3 others like this

#7 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:33 AM

Pickle 

Teachers are paid very well.  Administrators even more.

Cant control the teachers personal choices.

Bad choices can put people in bad way financially.

#8 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

bump

#9 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:49 PM

The Board Docs for the December 16th meeting have been posted.   It is interesting to note that the Board will be voting on revisions to policy 4119.1 and 4219.1 -- Discipline and Dismissal of Certified and Non-certified Staff.  I sincerely hope that all Board members will read item #4 © closely before voting.  Item 4C is part of a list of examples of conduct that will subject any employee to disciplinary action "up to and including termination".

4C. " Being arrested or having charges filed, with or without a subsequent conviction, depending on the circumstances of the underlying action that resulted in legal action being initiated against the employee, whether during the work day, at a school-related event or during the employee's personal time."

How can any Board member vote on these policies when they do not adhere to similar consequences for themselves?   This is a "do as I say, not as I do" scenario.  If Ms. Perkins or any Board member votes on these policies, it will be another slap in the face to the employees of GCCS.   I agree with Captain Picard as do many, many people in this community.  Ms. Perkins should resign and the other Board members should insist that she do so.  Anything less will result in this Board having absolutely ZERO credibility.  Anything less means that do not care at all about the students or the staff.  Anything less will truly show the "arrogance of politicians" as Captain Picard said.

• Donna likes this

#10 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:09 PM

Maybe the board is taking up the issue as a way of speaking out against Perkins?

One can hope?

• karen likes this

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:48 PM

Tina, You're so funny! Hee! Hee! Hee!
  • Becka Christensen likes this

#12 cokecollector

cokecollector

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

she will not resign, she has always considered herself to be in an elite group that do not have to abide by the rules, rules are only for all the pheasants that are far beneath her. her class of people have always thought they will make the rules for everyone else not themselves

• flowergirl, Donna, Sleepy and 1 other like this

#13 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

Teresa???

#14 TeacherKY

TeacherKY

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

I am on the agenda to speak at Tuesday's board meeting about Ms Perkins.  Come one, come all!!

• IntegrityMatters, Becka Christensen and Donna like this

#15 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

So proud of you TeacherKY!!   I hope they listen -- as I know there are many, many people who feel the way you do, including many who work for GCCS.   While this board or admin cannot force her to resign, they certainly can encourage her to do so.  It is in the best interest of the entire Board and the district for her to resign.  A Board member should not be exempt from the consequences they would mete out to a teacher or staff member in the same situation.  Board members should be held to a high ethical standard and have the common sense and character to resign when charged with a crime.  Anything less is pure arrogance and shameful. 

• Becka Christensen and Donna like this

#16 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

DISCIPLINE AND DISMISSAL OF CERTIFIED STAFF MEMBERS

STATEMENT

Inappropriate conduct of employees will not be tolerated by the Board of School Trustees.

Interesting how the discpline statement statrts out !!!!

• Donna, JeffResident and TeacherKY like this

#17 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:50 AM

Fox watching the henhouse.

• Tina likes this

#18 TeacherKY

TeacherKY

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

So proud of you TeacherKY!!   I hope they listen -- as I know there are many, many people who feel the way you do, including many who work for GCCS.   While this board or admin cannot force her to resign, they certainly can encourage her to do so.  It is in the best interest of the entire Board and the district for her to resign.  A Board member should not be exempt from the consequences they would mete out to a teacher or staff member in the same situation.  Board members should be held to a high ethical standard and have the common sense and character to resign when charged with a crime.  Anything less is pure arrogance and shameful. 

Thank you!  I hope I do you all proud tonight.  

• IntegrityMatters, flowergirl, Becka Christensen and 1 other like this

#19 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

TeacherKy - ask how can she vote on employee conduct !!!!!

• Sleepy and TeacherKY like this

#20 TeacherKY

TeacherKY

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

TeacherKy - ask how can she vote on employee conduct !!!!!

That was discussed tonight; how to handle discipline of certified staff. I was angered as a teacher that she could have a say in how a fellow teacher is reprimanded but was not reprimanded herself other than restitution and community service. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users