You are correct!
The president of the town council
is selected
by the seven members of the town council
to serve in the EXECUTIVE capacity.

The seven elected members of the town council
are collectively selecting the
town executive.

They are exercising a "combined authority in that capacity".
If each and every voter
is not allowed to vote
for each of those council persons,
they have been deprived of their "whole" vote.

They would only then be exercising a 3/7ths vote
to influence the selection of the "town executive".

That is why the vote is town wide for each of the council persons.

The News and Tribune had an excellent editorial addressing this requirement.
  • Dee Shelton Jr likes this

#22 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

TomD:
Bingo.
Thank you!
You are correct!
The president of the town council
is selected
by the seven members of the town council
to serve in the EXECUTIVE capacity.

The seven elected members of the town council
are collectively selecting the
town executive.

They are exercising a "combined authority in that capacity".
If each and every voter
is not allowed to vote
for each of those council persons,
they have been deprived of their "whole" vote.

They would only then be exercising a 3/7ths vote
to influence the selection of the "town executive".

That is why the vote is town wide for each of the council persons.

The News and Tribune had an excellent editorial addressing this requirement.

I see Tom D has already corrected you on the "Exectuive Branch" of Clarksville's government. However you seem to enjoy twisting facts. In truth, a clear majority of Clarksville wants district voting. Obviously you never attended a "listening session" that the current council wasted the public's time to try and quell the rising for district voting. You are simply repeating the tired rhetoric that gang leader Popp espoused the night I attended. It makes no common sense then, and it doesn't now.

You use the phrase, "combined authority in that capacity".as though it is pulled from some authoratative printing...I'd love to know where you found it. And, if you have a length where the N&T endorsed, in any way, town wide voting over district voting, pleae send over the link.

What you are saying is that the guy, who represents "my" district can/should be elected by those outside my district. If fact, in the last election, the person who won "my" district lost the election in the district he supposedly represents. He did win based on votes from other parts of the town that do not share "my" district's problems or concerns. I have never heard of, or seen, "my" district councilman ever stand up for some involving his district as compared to the wants of other district. I cannot recall, over the last several elections if I ever saw "my" district councilman ever canvass my neighborhood.

When you attend a meeting, it appears that most issues have already been discussed and debated prior to the council's meeting agenda and out of the view of the public. If so, isn't that a violation of the open meetings statutes?

I would rather have a say as to who represents me in my district. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond (my district), than a small fish in a big pond (town wide). I would rather that my vote carry greather weight as to what, and who, is doing things in my government. Trying to fool folks with your 3/7th's argument is a farce as to what is true. Any argument as to disenfranchisment in your opinion's favor is ludicrous. Town wide voting dilutes a person's vote as to who represents his district, views, and needs in the town government. We know where all the councilmen's loyalties are on this issue except Bob Polston. But, Bob, based what he said in the last election can't put himself in a bad spot by not voting for district voting...and he really can't go against the remaining members of the Gang of Four by voting against it. I only wish there was a video recording of the night Paul Fetter asked that it be put to a vote. The man that is now leader of the council, abstained. I believe Mr. Polston should clearly, and unequivocably, state wheter he is for, or against, district voting. No ifs, ands, or butts. Until he does so, Clarksville will go nowhere.

Further, as to your selection process of the "executive". Since you're such a staunch reader of the N&T, you should recall that the new electees in the last election would each serve a year's term as President of the Town Council. There was an article on it where John Gilkey (then the person leaving the position) spoke of the agreement. However, Polston, with the backing of the remaining Gang of Four, is now in his third year as President. Fetter and Tim Hauber never had their turns per the agreement.

Since you are astute as to the happenings of the council, that's a tough one to swallow when the "leader" of the town faiiled to lead on the major issue of the last election. He tries to pass off that he's neither for, or againt, it. Want to waste taxpayer dollars on some kind of mailing/survey that could not have had any accountability or transparency.

As for me, I'll happily vote my 3/7th vote instead of my "whole vote" as you term it. I simply don't believe I should have choose the representitive of a district I don't live in. Your logic on this issue is seriously flawed.

• GrumpyGranny, Not Super But Honest Mike, TomD and 2 others like this

#23 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

Excellent post, grayarea.

I did a search on the N/T website, using "Clarksville voting" as my search term. I received numerous links to articles and I looked through the links for 2012-present. Although I found numerous articles and a couple of editorials on the issue of the way we vote, I did not find an editorial mentioning that district voting would only give us 3/7 of a vote, and did not see an editorial that endorsed town wide voting for Clarksville. 

I will say that in looking through page after page of links, I may have missed such an editorial, so I am posting the link to my search results so that anyone interested can look through the search results themselves.

http://www.newsandtr...torial&o=0&l=10

#24 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

I have not read this entire thread, but I would like to comment on the "3/7ths" of a vote thing. That is not how I look at it. If each district elects their own representative then that council members vote represents 100% of the vote for the people of their district. 1 district 1 vote. That is the way a representative democracy works. Now, if the people of one district do not like the vote their representative cast then they use the power of the ballot box to change that representative. So, each citizen of Clarksville gets 3 whole votes. 1 district and 2 at large.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#25 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

Bringing back an old thread...subject: district voting.

The new council has run with the town manager thing, but I haven't heard anything about the issue of district voting for a while. Frankly, due to my health I don't attend the town council meetings, so unless I read something in the NT or on the Chatter, I'm out of the loop.

Tom, Russell, others, have you heard anything about the council taking a vote, or even discussing this issue? Is it time to bring it back up, to remind council members that this issue is a priority to many of us?

Edited by GrumpyGranny, 20 April 2016 - 08:01 PM.
To correct spelling

• Clarksville Voter likes this

#26 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

The council passed a resolution endorsing district voting at the first meeting of the year.  The details are to be worked out later since it does not have to be completed for a couple of years.

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#27 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

Thanks, Tom!

#28 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

How many of the current council would have lost if the last election 

had district voting?  Just wondering

• Brandon Schiller likes this

#29 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

Good question, Sleepy. The official election results can be found on the Clark County website, but since I don't know what precincts are in what district, that's about as helpful as I can be.

• Tina and Sleepy like this

#30 Brandon Schiller

Brandon Schiller

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

Sleepy, it doesn't matter how many of the current council would have lost. Just like the previous council, there were some that didn't win their districts. The point is if you are going to run to be a district representative, you should have to win your district. Republican, Democrat or Independent, it doesn't matter. This topic isn't about your political affiliation, it's about the citizens having their voice heard by the candidate they choose to voice it.
  • Clarksville Voter likes this

#31 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

Exactly,  How many sitting council persons lost there district last election.

#32 Brandon Schiller

Brandon Schiller

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:40 PM

I don't know off the top of my head and would have to go back and check. Either way, even if they lost their district and still won the overall, I will still hold them to their campaign promise to change to district voting and if that doesn't happen (which I expect them to hold true to their promise) I will cast my vote and any other's I can influence elsewhere. The point I was making was a simple one: this topic of district voting is non-partisan and fully gives the citizens in each district a stronger voice.

#33 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

I understand your point.

I just had a question, and wondered if anyone had researched it.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users