259 replies to this topic

#21 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

If you put your hands on a officer and punch him and try to grab his gun what do you think would happen to you? Doesn't matter what race you are you are going to get shot. If I'm in my car at a stop light and someone tries to get in my car they are going to get shot or run over. If he would just got up on the sidewalk we wouldn't even be having this discussion. If he was the good boy the media and of course his parents have you believe then why in the course of just one day did he become a aggressive thief with no respect for authority?
  • karen, JHS1982 and JenS like this

#22 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:58 PM

Tamir Rice.

• Poppie likes this

#23 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Sad but toy guns look can look very real. I never cared for them but my boys had them when they were little and the first thing a responsible parent teaches is you don't point them at anyone. Dillion Taylor? Didn't see a riot on that one.

Edited by grammy, 01 December 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#24 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Lonely, bored KID at a mostly deserted park and two cops cannot handle that? 

As a responsible parent, not every lesson was learned.  Doesn't mean that my children should die.  It does mean that police officers should be able to gauge the situation before exiting the squad car without itchy trigger fingers.  TWELVE YEARS OLD! 

#25 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Ive seen 12 yrs old look older than 12 . I've got a son who everybody thinks is 16 but he's 27 makes him so mad lol. Dillion White ? Unarmed white man shot by black cop in Utah Aug 11. Where's the outrage?

Edited by grammy, 01 December 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#26 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Ive seen 12 yrs old look older than 12 . I've got a son who everybody thinks is 16 but he's 27 makes him so mad lol. Dillion White ? Unarmed white man shot by black cop in Utah Aug 11. Where's the outrage?

Should there be outrage?

#27 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

So similar circumstances just reversed. .No outrage ,no Al Sharpton no riots . Just find that interesting.

#28 citizenkane

citizenkane

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

So similar circumstances just reversed. .No outrage ,no Al Sharpton no riots . Just find that interesting.

If there were as many black cops shooting/killing white citizens as there has been vice-versa recently you'd better believe there would be outrage....outrage and lynchings and firings and lynchings and maximum jail time and lynching etc, etc, etc.

• Persona Non Grata likes this

#29 citizenkane

citizenkane

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

As I understand it, the prosecutor is supposed to pick a side.

Christopher 2X and others have done extensive work and activism in the area of black-on-black crime, and that's just locally.

I don't get the impulse to point to black-on-black crime in this context (or maybe I do). It would be comparable to people calling for cancer awareness and someone discounting it because heart disease is a big deal. They're both big deals. Talking about one does not imply the other isn't a problem. We can talk about hunger and know homelessness is still a problem. We can talk about bullying and get eating disorders are a concern. People can be concerned about police shooting unarmed black men and still get violence within groups is a problem.

Further, black-on-black crime is either a social issue or, if there is a political element, it is of the failure of police to serve and protect in certain areas, regarding certain crimes or perhaps the drug war that is certainly in play. Police behavior, however, is a difference in kind. It is all about the actions of the government, which is our responsibility to keep in check. There is little I know about or can do about black-on-black crime. I can, however, insist police act professionally, transparently, fairly and without undue violence.

As for small fires, big fires and respect: 98% of the individuals who protested in Ferguson were peaceful. In fact, arguably 100% of the protestors were. The looters were the minority and arguably just looters, opportunists, rather than protestors.

Television "news" and reality aren't the same thing. People engage in good activism that never makes news. A small number of people engage in something that "bleeds," it leads.

A really excellent post, worthy of a re-post.

• Donna likes this

#30 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

Do you also find this interesting?

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 01 December 2014 - 09:13 PM.

• Donna likes this

#31 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

There is outrage in my heart for any family that suffers a needless loss. 

I don't want my children shot dead because they look a certain way, dress a certain way, spoke a certain way, drank canned tea or ate Skittles, weren't respectful enough, or BIG & SCARY!   Or just being lonely and bored at a park.

#32 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

It's funny how folks choose a side and stick with it, facts don't seem to matter.

People forget Zimmerman was the one who was attacked, and people will also forget that the Ferguson police officer was the one who was attacked.

I guess it just helps to justify folks attitude towards the world.

To me, when you are being attacked, the age or the race of your attacker does not matter much.

• karen, JHS1982 and JenS like this

#33 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

Tamir Rice

#34 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Tamir Rice

Has what to do with Ferguson?

Zimmerman (mentioned earlier) has what to do with Ferguson?

Are all police gunning for folks of color?

• karen and JHS1982 like this

#35 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

It's funny how folks choose a side and stick with it, facts don't seem to matter.

People forget Zimmerman was the one who was attacked, and people will also forget that the Ferguson police officer was the one who was attacked.

I guess it just helps to justify folks attitude towards the world.

To me, when you are being attacked, the age or the race of your attacker does not matter much.

Before anybody misrepresents MY views on this subject, I would like to go on record as saying it appears as if the shooting of Michael Brown was justified. But so is the outrage of the citizens of Ferguson. If the white minority in their community insists on systematically marginalizing the black majority, as they have been doing for a very long time, then an incident like the killing of Brown, justified or not, will likely incite unrest.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 01 December 2014 - 09:43 PM.

• kelley and woo like this

#36 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

PNG,

If so, the majority needs to get out there and vote.

It's the process we have, and over time, it just might work.

Torching and looting businesses is never justified.

• karen and JHS1982 like this

#37 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

Stop trying to make this out to be a singular incidence.  There is overwhelming stats that it ain't safe to be black in this "post-racist" America.  There is a cumulative record of violence by police against people of color.  He was EIGHTEEN (?) but "BIG & SCARY" and stole some cigars! 

And, then, there is Tamir Rice.  Can you reconcile that with all of your facts?

Edited by Donna, 01 December 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#38 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

While I understand what the video posted by PNG is attempting to say, I wonder what we could say about our own city/county.

How many city officials in Jeffersonville are black? The mayor, the city council, the police chief, the fire chief, other city officials are all white I think. Can anyone name one who is black?

The county council, the sheriff, the school board -- all white. Does anyone know how many black police officers we have in Jeff? How many sheriff deputies? Is this because we are a racist community? I don't think so --- but why is it that so few blacks even consider running for office? What can we as a community do to encourage more blacks to run for office or apply to be a police officer or sheriff's deputy? I think that blacks are highly unrepresented in our community. This needs to change.
  • JHS1982 and Donna like this

#39 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

Torching and looting businesses is never justified.

I've been looking really hard all over this thread and I just can't seem to find anybody saying anywhere that it is.
  • kelley, JHS1982 and Donna like this

#40 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

While I understand what the video posted by PNG is attempting to say, I wonder what we could say about our own city/county.How many city officials in Jeffersonville are black? The mayor, the city council, the police chief, the fire chief, other city officials are all white I think. Can anyone name one who is black?The county council, the sheriff, the school board -- all white. Does anyone know how many black police officers we have in Jeff? How many sheriff deputies? Is this because we are a racist community? I don't think so --- but why is it that so few blacks even consider running for office? What can we as a community do to encourage more blacks to run for office or apply to be a police officer or sheriff's deputy? I think that blacks are highly unrepresented in our community. This needs to change.

Did you watch the entire video? It's more than just the number of black cops versus the number of white cops. Unless of course you believe criminal behavior is more common among blacks by a ratio of 483 to 36.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users