259 replies to this topic

#241 JenS

JenS

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Themselves if he resisted...which is a crime. Which he had a history of.

#242 JenS

JenS

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

I also find it ironic that you ask me if I trust the judicial system....yet everyone is protesting the Grand Jury decisions. The ONLY people that have been presented all of the facts. So....don't you?
  • karen and grammy like this

#243 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

Why do people protest the death of a man who has victimized many many people over decades but we see no protest in the streets for all the victims of these types of peoples crimes.

http://abc7chicago.c...rchive/7416932/

http://newsone.com/1...can-day-parade/

http://7online.com/archive/6972920/

http://www.mlive.com...arch_seeks.html

http://posttrib.chic...ml#.VIdHRmdNedw

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 09 December 2014 - 02:04 PM.

• Donna likes this

#244 JenS

JenS

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

I also find it ironic that you ask me if I trust the judicial system....yet everyone is protesting the Grand Jury decisions. The ONLY people that have been presented all of the facts. So....don't you?

and....

#245 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

Do you understand how the Grand Jury works? If so, why would you say they have been presented all the facts? They see what the prosecutor wants them to see.  The same prosecutor who works side by side with the police every day. That is why people like me believe ALL police killings should go to trial and not to a Grand Jury.

Themselves if he resisted...which is a crime. Which he had a history of.

Did you not see the video? How was that cop on Garner's back with his arm around his throat protecting himself?

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 09 December 2014 - 02:15 PM.

• Donna likes this

#246 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

But you win. I'm not going to exclude myself from participation in this discussion like some have. But I do believe I will hold off on beating my head against the wall any further with you. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 09 December 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#247 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

From The Economist...

In an ordinary trial there are two attorneys (one for each side), a presiding judge and a jury of 12 people who must convict beyond a reasonable doubt. Grand juries have an easier job. All they decide is if there is enough evidence to bring a case to trial—they do not determine whether or not someone is guilty or innocent. Unlike in ordinary trials no judge oversees a grand jury. Instead the presiding officer is the prosecuting attorney, who also instructs the jury on the law.

http://www.google.co...BVAdX63cBAqglQg

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 09 December 2014 - 06:40 PM.

• Donna likes this

#248 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

Was he advised that he was under arrest? 

Even so, when he said "I can't breathe," medical services should have been called.

When Trayvon Martin was shot dead, witnesses were needed.  When Michael Brown was shot dead, video was needed.  When Eric Gardner died, none of that mattered. 

Nobody's guilty, except the dead, black guy.

Edited by Donna, 09 December 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#249 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

Twelve year old, Dymond Milburn, was severely beaten by three plainclothes police officers because they thought she was a prostitute.  Even though they beat her with a flashlight and caused injuries to her head, spine, throat and ear, the cops charged her with assault.  Sean Stewart, one of the cops involved, later received "Officer of the Year."

Twelve year old black girl in her yard!  I would have hoped that if 3 cops saw her and thought "prostitute" that they would have done something to help her, not beat her. 

How do you justify this?

http://bit.ly/1BE3j1F

Edited by Donna, 10 December 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#250 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

kudos to the louisville police force... they are recognizing the problems:

http://wfpl.org/post...uisville-police

Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad acknowledged that there is room for improvement within the police department in certain areas.

He said “unconscious racism is an absolute fact.”

interesting comment from David Owen in this story:

“We need better data,” he said. 

But he said it is “fairly intentional” that the data needed is not being collected.

“There are vested interests in not collecting the data,” he added.

• Donna likes this

#251 Little Pickle

Little Pickle

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

Chief Conrad is a pretty decent guy and I believe Mayor Fischer wants to do something positive about the racial division in Louisville. It will be no small task given the history. We Hoosiers can set an example for them to follow.

#252 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

Wow...while I have been gone I see my lilttle thread exploded! Now with new computer monitor and keyboard raring to go I'll waddle back into the fray...

I'm still in strong believe the right thing was done in Ferguson. And, that any protesting that is resultant thereof is protesting simply to protest. Facts are facts.

Now, as to Mr. Garner...I'm simply shaking my head...all on video showing the man was clearly done wrong and killed by the police for no, good, apparent reason. Is it worth nationwide protests? I don't think it is. But, that is only my opinion. Also, do we know as much about how the prosecutor in this grand jury went about doing his business?

#253 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

http://www.rollingst...urreal-20141231

I get why the police are protesting – they're pissed at Mayor de Blasio, and more on that in a minute – but this sort of "protest" pulls this story out of the standard left-right culture war script it had been following and into surreal territory.

I don't know any police officer anywhere who would refuse to arrest a truly dangerous criminal as part of a PBA-led political gambit. So the essence of this protest seems now to be about trying to hit de Blasio where it hurts, i.e. in the budget, without actually endangering the public.

So this police protest, unwittingly, is leading to the exposure of the very policies that anger so many different constituencies about modern law-enforcement tactics.

First, it shines a light on the use of police officers to make up for tax shortfalls using ticket and citation revenue. Then there's the related (and significantly more important) issue of forcing police to make thousands of arrests and issue hundreds of thousands of summonses when they don't "have to."

It's incredibly ironic that the police have chosen to abandon quality-of-life actions like public urination tickets and open-container violations, because it's precisely these types of interactions that are at the heart of the Broken Windows polices that so infuriate residents of so-called "hot spot" neighborhoods.

• Donna likes this

#254 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Love Matt Taibbi...    and the subtitle: 

In an alternate universe, the New York Police might have just solved the national community-policing controversy.

some of the same stuff the Ferguson protests were about:

It would be amazing if this NYPD protest somehow brought parties on all sides to a place where we could all agree that policing should just go back to a policy of officers arresting people "when they have to."

Because it's wrong to put law enforcement in the position of having to make up for budget shortfalls with parking tickets, and it's even more wrong to ask its officers to soak already cash-strapped residents of hot spot neighborhoods with mountains of summonses as part of a some stats-based crime-reduction strategy.

Edited by snowman, 04 January 2015 - 09:04 AM.

• karen and Donna like this

#255 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

Here is an interesting case which illustrates problems on both sides of this argument. Clearly the cops are in the wrong and this man is a victim of police misconduct. It happens. ALL THE TIME. To deny it is ridiculous. But why did ABC News choose to only show those cameo silhouettes of the officers at the end of the report instead of actual pictures? Could it be because one of them wasn't white? Sure looks that way to me.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=22660928

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 08 January 2015 - 12:32 PM.

• karen likes this

#256 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Robin Roberts was right, "If there had not been video . . . " these bad actors would have gotten away with it!  "Stop resisting arrest" as I pummel you on the ground.  OMG!

This is disgusting and so NOT right!  

Thanks for the link, PNG!

#257 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

You have to wonder if the second officer pulling up like that facing the opposite direction was so that the lights could intentionally obscure the other dash cam.

:no:

Why is it ok to say that all Muslims are complicit in violent Islam because they don't denounce the violent acts loud enough... but it's ok for other police officers to look the other way when one of their own pulls BLATANT misconduct (violence) against the people they are supposed to SERVE and PROTECT?

Just wanted people to think of it from another perspective.  The silence against the bad apples is what is making the public so upset.  Take out the trash so that we can trust the good apples!!

• karen, snowman and Donna like this

#258 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

#259 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

Thank God there was a witness with a video camera...THIS TIME.

"The officer, Michael T. Slager, 33, said he had feared for his life because the man had taken his stun gun in a scuffle after a traffic stop on Saturday. A video, however, shows the officer firing eight times as the man, Walter L. Scott, 50, fled."

http://www.nytimes.c...death.html?_r=0

• kelley likes this

#260 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

Now we are talking about the Confederate Flag. 

What's next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users