13 replies to this topic

#1 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

I was wondering what is the cost of the lights and electricity,and how are they financed? I heard that the lights and electricity are paid thru donations, I find this hard to believe.How many man hours are used for the light show? Are there any records of the cost over the past 14 years? I would be interested in seeing the ratio between donations and expenditures paid for by the city.

#2 Buckeye

Buckeye

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

I believe this issue has been discussed at great lengths here on the Chatter - I think you could probably do a search and find the information? Lots of pros and cons on it. As far as dollar figures, you would probably have to contact the committee overseeing the program. I, for one, would be happy to donate if I knew how to go about it. My grandchildren and I drive up to Charlestown to partake in the festivities every year. From what I can see, it certainly draws in the people - good for local businesses.

• JHS1982, yogaworks and Donna like this

#3 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

Money is no object when it comes to Christmas lights in C'town. Last year thousands of lights on and around the activity barn on Park St. were left on around the clock, all through Jan. and Feb. I'm surprised Mayor Bob didn't at least turn them off on Sundays, because he doesn't allow the citizens to use those facilities on Sunday.

#4 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

Use the tiff  Get a write up.   Move on

• CityBoy and What the What like this

#5 What the What

What the What

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

I like your quote City Boy

#6 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

I had to run to Charlestown and drove past the lights on the square and in the park,between all the flashing lights on the square,the narrowed to one lane road ,the train,the police cars flashing and people crossing the road(not at cross-walks).I had to pull over to the side of the road in order for my eyes to adjust.Sure seems to me to be an accident waiting to happen,it is not "If someone will get ran over it's When",the area from the cross roads of highway 3 and Main Street to Thompson Street is dark and all of the flashing lights are a distraction to say the least.Seems it would be safer to re-route the traffic and close that section of 3.But then again Bob Hall would not get the bang out of the flashing lights ,payed for with your bucks!

#7 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

We actually are going up Friday night with friends to eat in Charlestown and then take their little girl to see the lights. And we've never had an issue driving or with the safety.

#8 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Jeff all my Life, I hope you and your friends and their little girl have a great time Friday night and may you all keep safe!

#9 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

We had a wonderful time. Went to city square, the park and the high school and it was amazing. Big credit to those in charge for making a first class Christmas celebration and display. I'm not a sentimental person at all, but it absolutely warmed my heart to see how excited our friends little girl got for the whole event. And we also dropped some dollars at the Charlestown Pizza Company. Great food.

And Old Paw, you'll be happy that I never questioned once if we were in any danger. I know how much that worries you.

Kudos to the City of Charlestown!

#10 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

Jeff all my life,I am happy that you and your's had a amazing and safe experience in Charlestown,and as a City resident,we very much appreciate the warm-hearted Kudos!

#11 Indiana82

Indiana82

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

I think the light display is one of the better ones in this area. Charlestown should be proud but they could do a better job promoting it
  • Jeff all my Life likes this

#12 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:40 PM

It looks like word of mouth is getting the word out. Lots of people have been here this year. Tonight you were hard pressed to find a parking place at the activity center on Park Street. Lots of people ice skating...the most I have seen using it. Train was full of people and up town the square had lots of people. I'm sure the expense is pretty great but it is pretty awesome and people do enjoy it. Glad to see the activity center getting some use besides just the skate park.

There was only one police car tonight down by Thompson street and one in the tax place parking lot.. Wasn't bad at all...do agree it is dark there.

Old Pawpaw, I see in a post you say you had to run to charlestown. If you don't live in Charlestown, don't worry about the expense. I wasn't a big fan of all the Christmas lights and still think the square is a bit overdone but lots of people enjoy it and it brings lots of people to town. They may just come that trip to see lights but may consider coming back for other things.
  • Jeff all my Life likes this

#13 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

Masey,not that it matters,but I have family and one of my family members is sick and I spend time out of town taking care of her.

I do live in Charlestown and have all my life.

I along with all other Charlestown residents(no matter what their thoughts are about the lights)have a right as citizens to know the cost of the lights.

I agree with you Masey,the lights seem to attract alot of people.

The only problem that I have,is that Mayor Hall uses them for personal political gain.Evidence of my claim,lies in the fact that Bob Hall was nowhere to be found when he lost his bid for Mayor in 2004.

If Bob Hall truely wanted Charlestown to be "Christmas City" he would have stayed envolved as a citizen,not only as Mayor and during the time it would benifit him politically!

#14 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Yes, the lights are pretty. But the total cost of the city's Christmas decorations is well over $100,000, probably closer to $150,000. Where does it end? When is it enough?

Many of us who complain about this because we feel Hall is spending our dollars on the wrong priorities. Give us clean water to drink. Build sidewalks on Clark Road and Monroe street, near the elementary schools, so kids who attend those schools won't have to walk in the street.  Nor would adults who walk from Pleasant Ridge to Dollar General have to walk in the street. Spend those dollars to demolish city-owned, abandoned houses in Pleasant Ridge, and clean up all the city-owned lots there. The list of more important uses of taxpayers dollars is very long.

I'm glad there was a large crowd at the activities center Saturday night. Good thing, I guess, because no one is allowed to use those taxpayer-owned facilities on Sunday, as decreed by Mayor Hall. I wish the ACLU would look into this.  A few years ago Hall reported to the Redevelopment Commission that the city's lights, etc., brought 40,000 people to the city. Bet you would have had to park in Otisco that year, huh?

Edited by CityBoy, 21 December 2014 - 11:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users