#1 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

http://www.whas11.co...ssons/70028200/

For the first time, the eLearning program made it's debut Monday, when schools across the state declared a snow day. Providence students stayed home but their school work continued through their iPads.

"We were taught a new lesson instead of reviewing stuff for finals like we would at the end of the year on a regular make-up day," Long said.

Just this year, Indiana's Department of Education approved the use of a virtual classroom on days school is canceled due to weather.

• GrumpyGranny and Beading Lady like this

#2 jsummerfield

jsummerfield

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

I saw that when the school closings were announced. That's such an innovative and smart idea. Do students have to be connected to wifi when they do this work or is there a way to access it without the internet? In the event of a big snowstorm that made driving more difficult than the one Monday, I feel like students without wifi might have a hard time getting their work done. But for days like Monday when they could go to the library or a friends house, this system is such a good idea.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#3 jsummerfield

jsummerfield

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

I know I've had eBooks for UofL that have worksheets that you can download as a PDF and fill out and then submit it on blackboard when you have internet access.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#4 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

My youngest goes to PHS and I'm thrilled!!...( As a mother that doesn't want her spring break and summer vacation plans screwed with). :)        And also as a parent who doesn't like to drive in bad weather very much either as Providence doesn't offer transportation.

As I understand it they do need access to the internet...They log into a special section of the school website and their lessons have been uploaded onto it and the teachers contact info made available to them...In the letter they sent to parents it was explained it was a trial and that they have still worked snow days into the calendar just in case...I think they feel you can only sustain this type of learning for so many consecutive days...So my guess is if we'd have another 77/78 winter scenario ( where the kids are out for week) again some of that time would have to be made up...And they also commented that some classes won't lend themselves quite as well to virtual learning as others...My guess is probably almost all of the kids at Providence have internet access but that might not hold true for all students at other schools so not sure how that would work for them...Anyway for us this year I think it's a good idea and hope it works.

• Tina likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users