• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Some folks just too much time on their hands...

http://www.newsandtr...2.html?mode=jqm
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#2 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:45 PM

Well, there are other folks talking about it:

A local Floyd County Blog:

Pesky church-state issues: The Freedom from Religion Foundation investigates the Mayor's Community Prayer Breakfast.

On a blog called The Friendly Atheist:

Indiana Mayor Promotes Prayer Breakfast with City Resources

It will be interesting what the Freedom From Religion Foundation gets from their open records request on how certain aspects of this event is funded. Here's a link to the FOIA request:

FOIA Request

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

The first amendment actually says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I know people like to use precedence and Jefferson's letter about "separation of church and state" but the amendment plainly does not say that the government cannot be involved in religion in any way.  It says CONGRESS can't establish religion.

Anyone know what our state Constitution says on the matter?

I don't think the mayor passed a law making all New Albany residents attend this meeting.

The flyer doesn't give preference to any specific religion - it says all ages and faiths.  

I think we've gone the total opposite end of the spectrum which allows the few to enforce a freedom FROM religion.  

We have rewritten the intent.  (as with almost the entire bill of rights, but I digress)

http://www.thefedera...dom-of-religion

Edited by Tina, 15 November 2014 - 08:27 PM.

• Quasar and Serve like this

#4 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Personally I am consistently confused in the various interpretations of the constitution. 

People argue about government involvement with individual gun possession and people argue about government involvement in religion and both sides cite the constitution.

What is the common desire here? It seems to me that both would simply like to be left alone, to have their guns and not to be forced to fund religion.

For this particular example, the main point here that I see is that the folks who brought this up would like to get government funding out of the event. Do you disagree with that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users