58 replies to this topic

#21 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

What was he doing with a baseball bat? Did he just finish a friendly game of baseball and decide to walk into a cage with a wild cat? No one ever has mention a baseball team at Wildlife in Need.

Or does he carry a baseball bat to keep the animals at bay? A Tranquilizer gun will drop an animal faster than baseball bat and that would be humane. 

I don't know. But, wouldn't you likely carry a bat or something with you when you entered a cage with a new, wild Leopard?  Maybe I'm wrong.

#22 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

There's never been an educated professional at the Louisville Zoo carry a baseball bat. 

• karen, RiverFox and Opine like this

#23 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

The issue with this guy is that his arrogance toward the government and their regulations makes it seem that he would not follow basic safety rules if he did not agree with them.  That makes this place dangerous for his neighbors and the surrounding community.  After a visit there to play with the baby tigers, I have no doubt that he would do whatever he dam(n) well pleases without regard for the law.  Mix that attitude with dangerous animals and you have a disaster waiting to happen. 

Edited by karen, 18 November 2014 - 07:55 AM.

• TrishR, RiverFox and Opine like this

#24 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

Another follow up

http://wfpl.org/post...wildlife-refuge

#25 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:50 AM

Third follow-up

http://wfpl.org/post...y-8IAA.facebook

#26 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

This was also said: http://www.newsandtr...cd794b7144.html

#27 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

:shocked: 

An opinion piece vs. employees, volunteers, neighbors and government inspectors.

Well I'm certainly convinced now. :hyper:

• Donna likes this

#28 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

What was he doing with a baseball bat? Did he just finish a friendly game of baseball and decide to walk into a cage with a wild cat? No one ever has mention a baseball team at Wildlife in Need.

Or does he carry a baseball bat to keep the animals at bay? A Tranquilizer gun will drop an animal faster than baseball bat and that would be humane.

Man in article today said HE used plastic bat to tap a tiger that clawed him, perhaps that was what Stark had at times...humane.

#29 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

• kelley likes this

#30 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yeah.  I don't think Tim used a wiffle bat.  I do think that a lot of this is hysteria over a guy who is eccentric and speaks bluntly and rudely. 

It looks like the more recent article the compound is shut down to make the improvements sought by the government. That's a good thing.

The opinion piece by Dodd also confirms what I have understood about Tim caring for many wild animals that are sick or injured. If he had

success where vets failed,  I can also understand why he has a dubious opinion about them.  But it doesn't matter.  If people hate/fear him

that probably isn't going to change. 

• Quasar and jiyabird like this

#31 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:14 PM

BEFORE THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES
WORLD WILDLIFE FUND
THE GLOBAL FEDERATION OF ANIMAL SANCTUARIES
THE INTERNATIONAL FUND FOR ANIMAL WELFARE
BORN FREE USA
THE FUND FOR ANIMALS
BIG CAT RESCUE
DETROIT ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY
PETITIONERS

PETITION FOR RULEMAKING TO PROHIBIT PUBLIC CONTACT WITH BIG CATS, BEARS, AND NONHUMAN PRIMATES

52) Stark, Tim and Melisa (d/b/a Wildlife in Need) (Charlestown, IN #32-C-0204)

Tim Stark (d/b/a Wildlife in Need, #32-C-0204) brought three tiger cubs bred at his
facility to the Indiana Reptile Breeders Expo for public contact exhibition. Mr. Stark
advertised on the local news, bringingthe three cubs to interact with the news
anchors and even acknowledging that the cubs (who were vocalizing in distress) do
not like being handled.  ~  WLKY,Tiger Cubs Visit WLKY! (Oct. 26, 2013),
available at http://www.wlky.com/...l4/-/index.html

http://bigcatrescue....nd-comments.pdf

#32 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

Yeah. I don't think Tim used a wiffle bat. I do think that a lot of this is hysteria over a guy who is eccentric and speaks bluntly and rudely.
It looks like the more recent article the compound is shut down to make the improvements sought by the government. That's a good thing.

The opinion piece by Dodd also confirms what I have understood about Tim caring for many wild animals that are sick or injured. If he had
success where vets failed, I can also understand why he has a dubious opinion about them. But it doesn't matter. If people hate/fear him
that probably isn't going to change.

Glad someone (read Pesty)is exhibiting some clear thinking in this obvious witch hunt. I really thought the dark ages were behind us. Sounds to me like there are many who would like to take Tim out and stone him. Many who believe every word they read when it has been proven time and time again that the press exaggerates to sell and 'ties' mouth off to make names for themselves and get face time in the media to further THEIR agenda.
Unless you YOURSELF have witnessed mistreatment you have no right to judge. As far as those who are making accusations you have to ask...is it a case of getting even or the truth...if truth, present the proof.
The man has been doing this for a long, long time. Wonder why everyone is out to stop him all of a sudden? Animal behavior does not change. Tim, just who's toes did you step on?
Hang in there...they will soon find new and juicy scandals to go after any second and you will become yesterday's news.
As I said in previous posts, anyone who expects these animals, one step out of the jungle, to behave like household pussycats, are just plain stupid and don't belong anywhere near zoos, let alone enjoy this awesome experience.
They probably think they should go to the hospital if their own cat scratches them.
Don't try and take a man's love and livelihood away from him because of your own misunderstanding of the ways of wild creatures and the way they need to be handled.

I hope those of you who think he should be shut down are aware that if he is probably every animal he has will be killed...not euthanized....killed, shot....not relocated....killed, shot, just like those poor creatures turned loose by the man who killed himself. Innocent , helpless animals that could have been caught and taken to sanctuary, shot by blood thirsty men. Killed, shot...not euthanized, for no reason, innocent, helpless animals.

Edited by jiyabird, 23 November 2014 - 08:10 AM.

• Oldgoat likes this

#33 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

Your point?

I did not say he used a wiffle bat to kill the animal. I pointed out they used plastic bats to control them. A PLASTIC BAT that WOULD NOT HURT them.
I am assuming he knows which animals are aggressive enough to warrant a wooden one verses a plastic.
Your cartoon wasn't appreciated (I never watch that childish crap).

#34 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

:rolleyes:  It's called 'humor'.

You should try it sometime. :whistle:

• GrumpyGranny, kelley and Donna like this

#35 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

:rolleyes:  It's called 'humor'.
You should try it sometime. :whistle:

Sorry, I don't think killing animals is very "humorous'. Apparently some of you do, surprised at who you are actually....well 2 of you I know are animal lovers anyway.

#36 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

There's never been an educated professional at the Louisville Zoo carry a baseball bat.

Do you work there?
Are you involved with the ones considered 'dangerous'?
Are you there 24/7?
On what do you base your information on?
Carrying a BB Bat just in case and using it are two different things.
Would you rather see someone armed with a gun assuring the animal's death or a bat to stun it?
If you were BRAVE enough to enter a cage with one of these creatures would you prefer to go in barehanded, with a bat or a gun?
Easy to armchair sit and judge, isn't it?
By the way, do these 'educated professionals' actually go into the cages with the wide awake animals or do they work with them AFTER they have been tranquiized? Are these 'educated professionals' alone or are they accompanied by someone else who IS armed? Makes a BIG difference in regard to your statement.

#37 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

Sorry, I don't think killing animals is very "humorous'. Apparently some of you do, surprised at who you are actually....well 2 of you I know are animal lovers anyway.

:logik: 

In your case maybe reading comprehension
should take precedence over humor appreciation.

:blink:

• kelley likes this

#38 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

It's strange that you seem more troubled by a cartoon clip that makes fun of the idea of killing someone with a plastic bat than the (supposed) killing of an animal by repeatedly beating it in the head baseball bat. It's hardly Riverfox who is trivializing the (supposed) death.

Dude is clearly a class act. His alibi that he didn't allow an escaped leopard to EAT the neighbors PETS, potentially harm people and end up shot is that he beat the leopard to death with a baseball bat.
  • Opine likes this

#39 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

:logik:
In your case maybe reading comprehension
should take precedence over humor appreciation.
:blink:

No need for personal insults just because you don't like the fact I am hitting a nerve RF.
Explain to me why it is you think I am incapable of reading...because I don't agree with you? So sorry, so sad. I just value anything with a heartbeat and feels pain and discomfort..even you.
It is obvious you are not reading my posts in their entirety, apparently you are not comprehending the point I am making.
This ENTIRE DEBACLE is someone's agenda to shut this man down and they are doing a pretty good job of using gossip, the media, innuendos and rumours to do so.
There, does that make it clearer for you?
You keep slinging insults and you know Quasar will close the topic so please lay off me personally.

Have a Great Thanksgiving....everyone have a great one. :)

Edited by jiyabird, 24 November 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#40 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

It's strange that you seem more troubled by a cartoon clip that makes fun of the idea of killing someone with a plastic bat than the (supposed) killing of an animal by repeatedly beating it in the head baseball bat. It's hardly Riverfox who is trivializing the (supposed) death.
Dude is clearly a class act. His alibi that he didn't allow an escaped leopard to EAT the neighbors PETS, potentially harm people and end up shot is that he beat the leopard to death with a baseball bat.

Kelly, I have given up on even TRYING to talk to you...about anything. The only thing we will ever agree on is to disagree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users