231 replies to this topic

#41 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Mr. Stephenson -- Did CMH give the board minutes to Ms. Khuri that she requested?   It is my understanding that they refused to give them to her.  Is this correct?

#42 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

I am not sure what all they gave her. I do believe that she was furnished all the information that they could. Merger talks in this size of a transaction are very delicate. There are certain laws the cover just what information can be given out. We are talking about a $2billion corp acquiring the assets of a $50million hospital. It does have to be handled very in a certain way.

Maybe our fine attorneys can give more details of the legal requirements connected with this type of transaction.

I have met with both Mr Barnes, Mr Padgett and Sam Gardner on numerous occasions concerning this issue. Their creditentals are above reproach. During our meetings I was furnished with all information I requested to make me feel comfortable in approving this merger.

I have known Ron Barnes for over 20 years. I worked with him in the financial world of the military. Ron's integrity as a military finance officer and his civilian profession as a parntner in the MCM accounting firm distinguish him as a leader in the financial community.

These 3 gentlemen have reached out to both the Commissioners and the Council have one on one meetings. At these meeting they have been honest and open with all information concerning the merger.

Language will in the contract that Norton's will be assuming the liability of the bond.

Edited by RStephenson, 19 November 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#43 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

The county had better be very careful dealing with the Mr Padgett.  He has taken the county down the road before.

Every time he comes up with the "latest and greatest" idea, it never pans out.  Talks a big game but talk is cheap.  His masterful sales pitch is going to burn the taxpayers of Clark County.  But of course he will keep a good job at our expense.

Ask yourself, what has this man accomplished other than running up the huge debt.  It was a few short years ago, he stated in the paper, the big bond issue would make everything great for the future.  He said the hospital would be on a firm foundation.  

How did that work out for us.  Unless Norton's refinances and excepts the debt, you better turn and run.

Edited by Big Bopper, 19 November 2014 - 12:25 PM.

• Not Super But Honest Mike likes this

#44 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

Rick, I'd like to see it handled in CASH at the time of merger. Just sell the darn hospital and eliminate any chance we will have to repay the 50 million. 

Edit to add: It would be interesting to see if the new owners would keep Padgett

Edited by Not Super But Honest Mike, 19 November 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#45 MyMan

MyMan

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

Big Bopper,

To say I know little about the world of finances and accounting would be a huge understatement.  To be fair to Mr. Padgett, heath care has taken a drastic turn in the last 5-6 years.  I do believe Martin Padgett made the best prediction he could given the circumstances, when the hospital asked for the bonds.  With ACA, it's literally changed the ballgame completely.  At the time the bonds were issued, nobody could have guessed that the death of the community hospital would occur.  Now it's here, and we better be prepared.  Luckily CMH is a graphical area where other players are interested in keeping this hospital opened. Do you think FMH will survive on its own?  Not looking too good.

I know the ins and outs and all the reasons why this hospital is in grave debt, frankly I probably wouldn't understand half of it.  There may be people here that deserve blame.  I'm not in the know to place that blame.  I just want this hospital to prosper, serve this community better than ever, and of course keep my job.  I enjoy working in Clark County and I enjoy working with the people that work with. 

Edited by MyMan, 19 November 2014 - 12:41 PM.

• Oldgoat likes this

#46 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

ACA is  the primary blame!

• IntegrityMatters likes this

#47 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

Kelly Khuri files open records complaint against the hospital.

http://m.newsandtrib...5.html?mode=jqm
  • IntegrityMatters and Not Super But Honest Mike like this

#48 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

I want to see the hospital remain open and flourish also.  This has nothing to do with the workforce at the hospital.

My problems are with the leadership of the hospital. 

The article in the paper should speak volumes as to the trust issue with Mr. Padgett.

This is the largest asset that the county owns.  Nothing should be secretive.

It is apparent that Mr. Padgett does not want everything on the table.   

I will ask a straight up question to Mr. Padgett, will you continue employment after the merger?

For the sake of the taxpayers of Clark County I hope the Commissioner's and Council remember that they have a BACK BONE!

Use it and protect all of Clark County

#49 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

I want to bring you up to date on what action the Commissioners took this evening. We passed a motion to contract a hospital specific financial firm to review all the records of the hospital.

After reviewing all the State Board of Accounts audits, the financial records of the hospital, independent appraisal of the hospital, and the commissioners retaining a legal firm to review all the details of the merger contract, this is the final step to clearing the way for the merger to happen. (Was that a run on sentence or not?)

We have made sure that all employees jobs are intact after the merger. There will be a 2 year breakin period for the employee. Responsibility for the debts of the hospital will be assumed by Norton's. The hospital will be put into Norton's rotation of equipment replacement. As a member of the Norton's $2 billion network we will get better reimbursement rates on federal programs.

I am sure there are going to be some nay sayers to this merger. No plan is perfect and not everyone will be happy. As I have said before, I am not concerned with the hospital mgt team or the docs. They will be fine no matter what happens. My concerns are the 1700 jobs and the 110,000 residents of Clark Co.

I assure you I do not take the information about this merger lightly. I have reviewed information and met with hospital mgt many times.

For the record, and to make sure big bopper knows I do have a back bone, I am throwing my whole hearted support to the merger.

Edited by RStephenson, 20 November 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#50 MyMan

MyMan

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Big thumbs up!

What kind of timeline do we expect for the firm to review things?

I've heard rumor that final vote may be in January. Is this possible?

I agree, many people may not agree or understand why the merger needs to take place. I look at it as though CMH is in a lucky position to let Norton take over. They are a profitable, efficient, high class organization.

#51 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

Rick -- I am not against the merger; in fact, I think it is the only way to keep the hospital from closing its doors.  However, I would like to know if this must be passed by BOTH the council and the commissioners -- or just the commissioners?    Also, how much will be spent on hiring the "hospital specific financial firm" and who are they?

I am also not happy that the hospital refused to give the requested minutes to Ms. Khuri.  Where is the transparency that people so desperately want from our government? 

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 20 November 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#52 MyMan

MyMan

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Check the article from the news and tribune site, it may answer some questions.

#53 MyMan

MyMan

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

Rick,

What is a two year break in period?

#54 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

I read it.   However, I don't like organizations hiding information by saying it was discussed in "executive session".  The local school districts do the same thing.  ALL information should be public information If the entity receives tax dollars.  The exception should only be for discussion of items related to individual employees -- but discussion of a possible merger (or closing schools, etc.) should be made public if requested under the open door laws.  I found it very strange that Padgett refused Ms. Khuri's request and then was later quoted as saying, "we're a very transparent organization".     To say that he is denying her request because "it would consume a considerable amount of hours of the CFO" is ridiculous.   He said "spending the amount of time necessary to provide you with this information will not change the facts. For this reason, I am not able to honor your request."   That is not a valid reason for denying her request in my opinion.   It is not his place to decide if will "change the facts" or not.   If a County council member requests the information in order to feel comfortable casting a vote, then it should be given to her.   I am sure the CFO has plenty of assistants who could assist him in gathering the requested info in a short period of time.    I hope Padgett will reconsider and give the info to Ms. Khuri if he believes that CMH is truly a "transparent organization".

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 20 November 2014 - 08:34 PM.

• snowman likes this

#55 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

Integrity, in my opinion the hospital did not refuse to give Ms Khuri the information. I have asked the question to the hospital mgt. They have tried to comply with her request. The finance board she wants minutes from does not keep minutes. They are planning and strategy meetings, the information from the meeting is summarized by the president of the finance board.

I will further explain that while on the phone with Ms Khuri he specifically pointed out documents that outlined the information she requested. She did not realize the information had been furnished to her. Management members of the hospital staff have spoken to her many times to figure out exactly what she wants.

I would ask you, has the compliant filed by Ms Khuri been ruled on? Do not take random charges as an indication of guilt. Do not take this as an attack on Ms Khuri, it is not.

The merger has to be approved by, the Commissioners, the council, and the hospital board. This vote will hopefully take place in Jan.

The break in period is a period where all the hiccups in the integration of two systems will be worked out.

One final note, multi-million dollar mergers just by the nature of the beast does need a bit of secrecy during the negotiations. There is not any sinister plot to defrauded the people of Clark Co. It is just over zealous obstructionist idealology that nurtures the paranoia.

Edited by RStephenson, 20 November 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#56 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:06 PM

As I said earlier -- I am in favor of the merger.  I NEVER said or insinuated that there was any type of "sinister plot".    If Padgett has given all the info to Ms Khuri then that is a good thing -- but doesn't quite jive with his statement that he can't give it to her because it would take too much time for the CFO. 

I still would like to know how much the Commissioners plan to spend on a "hospital specific financial firm" and who they are?  

And lastly, I do think that your comment about Ms. Khuri  -- "we have seen many times that her accusations have a lot of smoke but never any fire" was indeed an attack on her.  It was totally unnecessary to make such a statement in your response in my opinion.   I hope you apologize to her.

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 20 November 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#57 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

Council woman Popp has a company in mind to do the financial review. The Commissioners vote on an amount not to exceed 10K. We will need to have this completed by the end of Dec.

Edited by RStephenson, 20 November 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#58 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

I would ask you, has the compliant filed by Ms Khuri been ruled on? Do not take random charges as an indication of guilt. Do not take this as an attack on Ms Khuri, it is not.

One final note, multi-million dollar mergers just by the nature of the beast does need a bit of secrecy during the negotiations. There is not any sinister plot to defrauded the people of Clark Co. It is just over zealous obstructionist idealology that nurtures the paranoia.

On one hand you're not attacking yet proceed to attack.
Interesting stance there.
  • Quasar likes this

#59 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:19 AM

It is just over zealous obstructionist idealology that nurtures the paranoia.

Huh?

Who and/or what are you referring to here?

#60 RStephenson

RStephenson

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

It was not directed to any one person or group in particular. Just my opinion of how things are in our country today. It seems that no matter what is happening we have all been programmed to only see something sinister in it. I do realize that it is from past practices of our society. Just voicing my frustration at the sad state of affairs society today. Probably could be another thread all together. Sorry, from now on I will keep my opinions to myself and just post the facts.

Edited by RStephenson, 21 November 2014 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users