18 replies to this topic

#1 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have held my mouth, due to the fact there is a new AD at the middle school.

I am alarmed at a few recent events.

1. Canceling football games the week of competition? Why? 

2. Not shaking hands after the Providence football game?  To me this a a fireable offense.

3. Making the girls b ball team practice late every day?  Don't say coaches agree. It was a split vote.

Does Title 9 not exist? 

4. Where is the principal?  Leader of the building.

Our kids deserve better.

Any comments will be appreciated.  I hope these issues are being addressed.

#2 fellow educator

fellow educator

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

I would like to be the first one to respond to this comment. I am a teacher at Charlestown MIddle School and I will tell you there is no better team of administrators that even come close to what we have in our building. The kids and staff are lucky to have such caring and dedicated people as leaders of our school. They take pride in their students, their staff, their school, and their community.

Our new AD is another person I have worked with prior to his hire at our school and he too is there for the students and it shows through his dedication and enthusiasm that he exhibits in all his roles within the school setting. If you have an issue with the school and how things are handled I invite you to come in and discuss with them in person your concerns. I have had parents who were very upset by something that has happened with their child and we invited them to come in and talk with us. Once they heard all the facts in person they left feeling a lot better. 

Lastly, you ask where is the principal, the leader of the building...... both our leaders are in the classrooms working with the staff and students. They are in and out of classrooms all day long, dealing with students who need extra support, attending conferences for our special needs students, attending department meetings or team meetings, supervising lunches and building relationships with all of the 500 plus students that attend CMS. I have worked in several of the schools in GCCS and I personally can say there is no better administration that supports not only the staff but students to ensure CMS is safe and the greatest place to receive an education for all students.  

• karen likes this

#3 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

Glad to hear the good news.

Can you answer my questions?

Why would coaches direct young men to not shake hands after a contest? 

If what you say is true The AD should be all over this.  As an educator I am sure

you find this upsetting.

And for the girls having to practice at night.  This is flat out wrong.  But this has 

moved up the ladder I am told.  I question any AD that finds it ok to allow this.

I am glad the Principal is in the classrooms, my principal says the athletic fields 

are classrooms also.  I hope they find time to check in on "this classroom"

I wish you and the school success.  But the issues I bring are serious, or parents 

would not be up in arms.

Edited by Sleepy, 24 October 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#4 fellow educator

fellow educator

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Have you contacted the principal OR Ad to meet with them personally to get these questions answered for yourself? Dont always believe what others tell you. I only am aware of the team not shaking hands and I know that was reported to administrators by one of my students who was complaining to me about it. He was upset and did go shake hands with the other team regardless of what his coach told him. Again call the school and set up a meeting get the answers straight from the people who are dealing with these issues. I am not that athletic director or principal so not involved in the issues you have mentioned.

#5 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

Do call school for an appt. to discuss this. Don't wait till weeks has passed. The principal has been there a couple of years and really cares about the kids and school. I think the assistant usually takes care of problems, so you might say who you would like meeting with. I don't have Grandkids in Middle School this year but now girls basketball coach is someone different than last year. I don't know anything about the football program. This school is so much better than it use to be....if something is not right do not let it go. I can't think of a reason not to shake hands but he may have had a reason. I do know that last year the girls basketball team pretty much had to use the gym when they could get it.

#6 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

Masey

There is never a reason not to shake hands.

Title 9 does exist.

Again, best wishes to all involved to correct the issues above.

#7 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

Title IX doesn't mean they have to practice at the same time or near the same time. It does require equal funding and facilities.
  • Tina likes this

#8 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

I think teams should shake hands also but I wasn't there. Maybe he thought the teams played to rough or there would be a fight or maybe just a poor sport...I don't know. Who are the best wishes for? Aren't you the one that has the complaints.

Edited by masey, 25 October 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#9 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

Title IX doesn't mean they have to practice at the same time or near the same time. It does require equal funding and facilities.

Don't know anything about this particular situation but Title IX means boys and girls sports are treated as equally as possible......period.  That includes weekend/weeknight games, practice schedules, equipment, it even applies to which team uses the main gym and which use the auxillary gym.

• Sleepy likes this

#10 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

If the girls team is being forced to practice at an un-equal time or place that is title IX -- yes Sir eeeee --- the balcony is nowhere near equal !!!!

• Sleepy likes this

#11 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

SLY  and Captain..Both are correct.

My well wishes are for the schools and all involved.

It is ok to have complaints, and still support your local school.

#12 fellow educator

fellow educator

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

It also depends on the availability of the coaches for each team as to when they can practice. This may be something Sleepy you could discuss if you set up a meeting with the AD at CMS. 

• Jeff all my Life likes this

#13 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

I have held my mouth, due to the fact there is a new AD at the middle school.
I am alarmed at a few recent events.
1. Canceling football games the week of competition? Why?
2. Not shaking hands after the Providence football game? To me this a a fireable offense.
3. Making the girls b ball team practice late every day? Don't say coaches agree. It was a split vote.
Does Title 9 not exist?
4. Where is the principal? Leader of the building.
Our kids deserve better.
Any comments will be appreciated. I hope these issues are being addressed.

1- Other school asked to cancel game not CMS.
2- Providence ran up the score. Left several of their best players in. Charlestown players were overheard by coaching staff that they were going get even by starting fight with Providence players. Coaches decide to avoid opportunity for scuffle by not shaking hands.

Parents over reacted to the the skipping of the hand shake. Did not give coaches a chance to explain why they choose to not shake their hands. BTW one of the Charlestown players that went ahead and shook the other teams hand was the most vocal about starting the fight and flipped off the Charlestown staff when running down to Providence's huddle to shake their hands.

3 Girls BB. Practiced right after school last season and boys practiced late. This year it was reversed. I am sure it will reverse again next year. Girls have never been forced to practice upstairs unless they chose too.

#14 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

Parents over reacted to the the skipping of the hand shake. Did not give coaches a chance to explain why they choose to not shake their hands. BTW one of the Charlestown players that went ahead and shook the other teams hand was the most vocal about starting the fight and flipped off the Charlestown staff when running down to Providence's huddle to shake their hands.

I would hope that the Ctown player- who flipped off the coaches-- was no longer allowed to played for Ctown !!!!

#15 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

Captain is correct. Title IX is very far-reaching, and it does include practice times. It even boils down to things like having the band play at games.

#16 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

Dougie

Call Parkview middle school and ask who canceled

the game.

#17 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

I guess your privy to more information than people who coach. Several of the staff informed me, a parent of a player that the other side cancelled. IDK

#18 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

I would hope that the Ctown player- who flipped off the coaches-- was no longer allowed to played for Ctown !!!!

Unfortunately the AD allowed the kid to play the last game after an apology.

#19 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Captain is correct. Title IX is very far-reaching, and it does include practice times. It even boils down to things like having the band play at games.

Practice times rotate on a year to year basis. Title IX doesn't give the girls teams right to gain favor over the boys teams.

Girls practiced RIGHT AFTER SCHOOL last year. Boys get that privilege this season. Next season will be girls turn again to practice right after school again.

If the guy who decided to come out of retirement to coach his granddaughter can't stay up that late he should practice at 6am. IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users