4 replies to this topic

#1 nerdymama2514

nerdymama2514

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this school? Thinking of sending my daughter there and wanted insight from others. We went on a school tour this week and it seems nice, but tours are most definitely biased.

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

I believe Teresa Fisher who is a member here had a grandchild enrolled. You could private message her. I have a friend who has been a longtime board member.

As I understand it, it's wonderful if the family really gets and approves of the model, but because there isn't the same emphasis on testing, the students' standardized test scores may not be as high.

#3 Teresa Fisher

Teresa Fisher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

I had two granddaughters enrolled at Community Montessori, and it was good while it was good. When the older girl got into 4th grade, the previously excellent student became a slacker. She decided to spend her days drawing pictures and writing stories instead of doing what she should have been doing. Students at Montessori schools must be self motivated, and she no longer was.

My daughter arrived one chilly day to find the kindergartner playing outside without her jacket. She “chose” not to wear it. (There were also issues with peepee shows. My daughter thought maybe her little girl had been led astray by other children, but it turned out she was an instigator and recruiter.)

The time had come for the girls to go to public school, where they are thriving. Apparently the older girl needed the motivation of grades, and she is now in Excel classes, making all A’s. The younger one is reading Harry Potter books at 7, and is ahead of her peers. (As far as we know, she is no longer in show business.)

Community Montessori is a good school, but your children must fit into that special learning model.

#4 Lillys Aunt

Lillys Aunt

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

What Teresa said is true; your child must be self-motivated (at least before she/he enter the 7th-8th grade).  My son (8th grade) is not motivated at all, but I will not switch his schools.  Although it's a struggle for him to finish his work, he is still thriving more at Community Montessori than he did in the traditional public setting.  All four of my children attend the school.  Their ages range from 4 to 13.  If you have any questions, then please feel free to message me.

#5 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:14 PM

Also, there can be huge differences in how different Montessori schools choose to implement Montesorri's methods...( I did student observation/student teachng at several of Montessori school's in Louisville years ago)...Some are very free-flowing while others almost seem like a "regular" classroom at times with some notable Montessori differences of course.

For instance, using Teresa's example, a Montessori school operating in a more traditional fashion would have still given her grand-daughter choices...But, more along the lines of "You may CHOOSE to go outside with your coat on or CHOOSE to stay indoors if you don't want to wear your coat"..Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users