15 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeyNuts

MonkeyNuts

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

Now I heard thru the jungle grape vine, the Charlestown Police Dept. is on fuel rations. This means that our officers are only allotted so many gallons of fuel per month to use for patrolling our city. After this fuel amount is reached during the month, the officers will either park their units or pay for gas from their own pockets to patrol and fight crime in our city. Now, I for one, hope that if I need a police officer to respond to my home in the middle of the night due to a break in and they can't come due to being out of gas, that would not be a good thing. I personally think some of these fine officers would use money out of their own pockets (within reason) to make sure the citizens of Charlestown are safe, but they shouldn't have to.   What do you think? :ike:   

#2 Buckeye

Buckeye

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

I think if you "heard it through the grape vine", it's not a fact. Perhaps talking directly to the police department will shed more light on the issue.

• Quasar likes this

#3 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Welcome MonkeyNuts.....

#4 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Call Shea......Sounds like a good story.

#5 MonkeyNuts

MonkeyNuts

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

I have asked several police officers and mum is the word. But at least 2 officers hinted that this was to be true. I asked a higher ranking officer if this was true and he said he can not say this is what is happening. So I came away from the conversation as this to be true. NOBODY is talking. :no:  

#6 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

Shea ?????

#7 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

After yesterday we need to be asking what happen to the tornado sirens also. Horrible that they have gone by the wayside......we need them back.

#8 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Well gosh, Masey. We've got a spash pool and skating rink that almost no one uses*. We've got those fancy electronic signs on Hgwy. 3 and Park St. Mayor Hall got himself a new SUV paid for by the city. We've got Christmas lights and sidewalks out the gazoo, and even some alleys have been paved. You just have to realize that we can't have everything.

* You can't use those goodies on Sunday. Hall closes them on Sunday because of his religious beliefs.

#9 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

I am to old to go splashing but I want to know if a tornado is around......how basic is that? Oh.....and I really want my alley paved. Only know of one that is but it sure is nice.

#10 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

I have lived in Charlestown all my life and though I can`t hear as well as I use to, I could always count on the sirens to warn me when to seek shelter,after the recent storm came thru I called the doctor to check on my hearing,Masey,thank you for posting that the sirens did not go off you have saved me an office visit.

#11 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

The sirens are activated county wide when a tornado warning is issued for the county. No such warning was issued.

Fyi: The local branch of the National Weather Service issues all warnings.

Edited by Jeff all my Life, 09 October 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#12 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

I am aware that the warnings don't come from the city....we need the sirens themselves. Someone missed the boat Tues. if a warning wasn't issued because there was a funnel sighted in the sky up here. I would post a picture of it but haven't figured that out yet. We should have had a warning...large trees were toppled over and roof off of the launder mat. One tree demolished a car. It didn't last long but we definitely needed a warning and we need sirens. One went away with the old water tower when it was taken down.

#13 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

Does Mayor Bob park his SUV on weekends?

#14 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

I am aware that the warnings don't come from the city....we need the sirens themselves. Someone missed the boat Tues. if a warning wasn't issued because there was a funnel sighted in the sky up here. I would post a picture of it but haven't figured that out yet. We should have had a warning...large trees were toppled over and roof off of the launder mat. One tree demolished a car. It didn't last long but we definitely needed a warning and we need sirens. One went away with the old water tower when it was taken down.

First, there was a severe thunderstorm warning, which means take cover from a storm with high winds and/or large hail and could possibly produce a tornado. And since there was no tornado in Charlestown, I'd say they got it right for Clark County.

Secondly, I was originally responding to comments insinuating that sirens weren't heard because one was removed. There is a siren about a block from my house. You could have climbed to the top of the poll and put your ear next to and you would have heard the same thing you did where you were at. That is no elected official's fault.

Lastly, since the system is a county wide system, I wonder if the placement and maintenance on the sirens.

Edited by Jeff all my Life, 10 October 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#15 graphixv

graphixv

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

Old post, but.  If gas is an issue, and it always is (especially for something like a police car), perhaps they should look into a solar application.

Cops in police cars always have the car running it seems, even parked or sometimes even when they are hanging out in a store.

I figured it had something to do with the electronics and radio more than them being lazy and wasteful.

However, I've seen some police cars that have a solar panel/battery setup and they only use it for the electronics.

This allows the police officer to turn off the car while it's sitting for long periods of time.

great idea!, considering the cost of gas and that you need the power mobile.  Prob one of the best applications I've seen for solar- really.

Edited by graphixv, 15 October 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#16 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:35 PM

I have an idea,if gas for the police cars is really an issue,Instead of spending money trying to develope solar power, why not cut back on the lights! If we had half the lights, I'm sure the city would still have more than enough lights to be known as  "Christmas City" the Mayor's office has never (that I am aware of ) released the cost of the lights,but I would imagine the cost of half, would buy more than few gallons of gas!

• CityBoy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users