64 replies to this topic

#41 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

I would like to see documentation on what facilities he has put his tigers in and that it was a donation.  

Also, I'm not sure someone's opinion on what constitutes a lively and animated tiger is an argument that would really hold up long.

Have you asked to see any documentation from ANY resource? Opinions....everyone has one.

#42 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

I would like to see documentation on what facilities he has put his tigers in and that it was a donation.  

Also, I'm not sure someone's opinion on what constitutes a lively and animated tiger is an argument that would really hold up long. 

I guess you need to get in a car and go out and ask him yourself.   I don't care about whether you think it's an argument  or not. I 

know what I have seen with my eyes.  Sounds like you are  hostile ... that's your right.  But you shouldn't make fact allegations that

you don't know to be true.  

• Bikerdude and jiyabird like this

#43 WalkerStalker812

WalkerStalker812

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

I guess you need to get in a car and go out and ask him yourself.   I don't care about whether you think it's an argument  or not. I 
know what I have seen with my eyes.  Sounds like you are  hostile ... that's your right.  But you shouldn't make fact allegations that
you don't know to be true.

I'm not so hostile that I'd beat an animal to death with a baseball bat, but hey. It's all about the love of animals, right?

it sounds like you know exactly where the animals are being sent to. If you could enlighten me that'd be great, because Mr. Stark shuts down and dodges the question whenever he is asked. These questions have been asked to him many times and he won't answer! I'd love if this place was legit, but words aren't enough.

#44 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:03 PM

What is it with you people? A guy's lawyer says he's legit, but that's not good enough. Noooo, you want evidence and answers that make sense and stuff. Dude claims to have beaten a leopard to death to explain why that one couldn't have been the one eating the neighbors' dogs oooone time...

#45 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

What is it with you people? A guy's lawyer says he's legit, but that's not good enough. Noooo, you want evidence and answers that make sense and stuff. Dude claims to have beaten a leopard to death to explain why that one couldn't have been the one eating the neighbors' dogs oooone time...

Evidence?  Ok, as was reported in the News and Tribune: ""Furthermore, the judge ruled, claims that Stark has harmed animals in his custody, including the ocelot, were not supported by evidence."

As for the leopard,  I don't know anything about that.   I try and stick to stuff I know about. 

#46 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

First.  A leopard was killed a year ago in someone's yard within a couple miles of this 'refuge'.  Now what's the probability it came from The "refuge".  When Law enforcement investigated, he had documents for 2, but only had one on site.

Second,  In the USDA report I READ, it stated that he could not provide documentation for the locations of multiple cats.

Third,  I have concerns with Zoo's and their keeping of animals as well.  Some are better than others.

Fourth, there is a major issue that the supporters seem to ignore.  In the USDA report I READ, it stated that his big cat enclosures were not up to spec, the fences are not tall enough to prevent the cats from escape. Hmmmm...... so he has cats in enclosures that they can escape from, a big cat not native to our Continent is killed within a couple miles from his "refuge" he has documents for 2 of the species but only one is present, and he can not provide proof of the location of the missing one?  But its not his? 

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#47 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

a.   All cubs are either  kept by W.I.N. or placed with USDA approved facilities.

So how many "adult cats" are at the refuge?

The USDA report I read stated that he could not provide documentation for the location of several cats.

#48 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

1. # of cats at WIN.      I don't know. 

2. USDA inspections  (that is what you are referring to)   a.  He is correcting or has corrected technical violations.  b. I think he disputes some alleged deficiencies.  3. He had his vet double check his animals after the inspection. All animals were healthy.

3.  location of cats.  This is a bookkeeping issue.  Records had to be updated to reflect where cats were sent.  But, all cats were

sent to USDA approved facilities.  (But I don't know the names of all of them. I am not his book keeper)   I think it is evident he has been under USDA microscope.    

Having answered these as well as I can,  I wonder if you can explain why you discount 

all those persons who have commented here and elsewhere positively about this operation.

Are those people irrational in your view? Cruel hearted folks?  How do you explain the wide

spread approval of WIN by those people who have ACTUALLY BEEN THERE and experienced

it? 

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 26 January 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#49 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

What is it with you people? A guy's lawyer says he's legit, but that's not good enough.

Noooo, you want evidence and answers that make sense and stuff.

Either that was sarcasm or I believe that you've answered your own question.    :shifty:

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#50 iRescue

iRescue

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

I personally can't attest to what goes on at WIN. I can however; tell you that when I worked for Rural King he came in often with various animals in tow. He would strut around with these babies attracting all kinds of attention. The last time I was there he had a very tiny baby cub that was obviously frightened to death..people were trying to pet him and Mr. Stark was raising his voice telling all to get away. I can assure you that was not an educational session. I have many rescue dogs and many have been through trauma. I take them to Rural King, Bass Pro, etc. to socialize. If at any time my dog is fearful or squealing the way that poor little bear was I would have left and made a different decision..not continue through the store acting like a control freak. On the baby cub situation, how in the world does the public think baby cubs become so plentiful? He breeds...over and over. What happens when an animal dies on his premises? He has answered that in the past...at times they are fed to the other animals. I question if that happens (purposely) to weed out only the perfect, docile and trainable animals. This whole thing is just wrong! Animals have no choice as to what happens to them...humans can abuse, neglect and harm in many ways and the only hope is strong citizens who will stand up and say enough is enough! I for one will never quit speaking for the unspoken. I ask readers to please rethink this or at the very least educate yourself on animal neglect and abuse.

#51 iRescue

iRescue

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

"Are those people irrational in your view? Cruel hearted folks?  How do you explain the wide
spread approval of WIN by those people who have ACTUALLY BEEN THERE and experienced
it?"

I can explain it. Before I really became involved with, studied the facts, etc. I attended those kind of places. I have always loved being around animals but didn't have the right circumstances to have them. I was very naive and simply didn't see the harm. There are those people in society who still see animals as 'property'..having no deep affection for them. It wasn't until I saw a severely abused blind and partially deaf coon hound chained to a collapsed house on a WHAS hoarder investigation, that I felt challenged to get out of my comfy home and do something!! I took in that 30 lb near dead hound and because of him my life changed forever. He passed last Spring but not until he had 4 yrs of love, nourishment and learned not to be in fear of humans. He was 62 healthy lbs. and had changed many humans lives and their opinion of rescuing animals from their horrible situations. People generally don't mean to support this kind of thing they just don't know. Or don't care and can turn their heads for an afternoon of their own pleasure. Aren't we better stewards of nature than that?

#52 WalkerStalker812

WalkerStalker812

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

"Are those people irrational in your view? Cruel hearted folks?  How do you explain the wide
it?"

I can explain it. Before I really became involved with, studied the facts, etc. I attended those kind of places. I have always loved being around animals but didn't have the right circumstances to have them. I was very naive and simply didn't see the harm. There are those people in society who still see animals as 'property'..having no deep affection for them. It wasn't until I saw a severely abused blind and partially deaf coon hound chained to a collapsed house on a WHAS hoarder investigation, that I felt challenged to get out of my comfy home and do something!! I took in that 30 lb near dead hound and because of him my life changed forever. He passed last Spring but not until he had 4 yrs of love, nourishment and learned not to be in fear of humans. He was 62 healthy lbs. and had changed many humans lives and their opinion of rescuing animals from their horrible situations. People generally don't mean to support this kind of thing they just don't know. Or don't care and can turn their heads for an afternoon of their own pleasure. Aren't we better stewards of nature than that?

I approve of everything you're doing. 

#53 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

"Are those people irrational in your view? Cruel hearted folks? How do you explain the widespread approval of WIN by those people who have ACTUALLY BEEN THERE and experiencedit?"I can explain it. Before I really became involved with, studied the facts, etc. I attended those kind of places. I have always loved being around animals but didn't have the right circumstances to have them. I was very naive and simply didn't see the harm. There are those people in society who still see animals as 'property'..having no deep affection for them. It wasn't until I saw a severely abused blind and partially deaf coon hound chained to a collapsed house on a WHAS hoarder investigation, that I felt challenged to get out of my comfy home and do something!! I took in that 30 lb near dead hound and because of him my life changed forever. He passed last Spring but not until he had 4 yrs of love, nourishment and learned not to be in fear of humans. He was 62 healthy lbs. and had changed many humans lives and their opinion of rescuing animals from their horrible situations. People generally don't mean to support this kind of thing they just don't know. Or don't care and can turn their heads for an afternoon of their own pleasure. Aren't we better stewards of nature than that?

And I,too, have rescued over 35 cats at our property on Hamburg Pike, plus having 14 house cats, 7 potbellied pigs and 5 dogs, when my husband was alive, spending hundreds of dollars annually to feed the strays dropped off at Ogle that wandered around our 28 wooded acres; feeding a family of raccoons; rescued pot bellied pigs, even the the city asked for help with rescuing 2;transported some to Sanctuary; I have Ibeen transporting dogs and pigs to various places for years using my own car and gas with no compensation; I have found dogs on the street taken them home and worried over them and cared for them til either their owners were found or I could place them or I kept them; donated to Koko, the gorilla, for decades...the Humane Society, SIAR and numerous other rescues; picked an emaciated Foxhound up off the side of the road had her treated for heartworms..tick infestation...spayed..a years worth of chemo for T-Cell Lymphoma and then sadly lost her last year; adopted a dog from the Humane Society, another from a High kill shelter in Kentucky;a three legged stray; a stray and her mate who then had a litter of pups that I raised and found homes for but kept one til he passed at 16, last month; a 3 legged Running Walker Coonhound no one wanted; my father's rescued dog when he passed away; a Labrador, homeless because his owner died and he stayed by the body til they found them; cats with aids...diabetes. ..kidney problems; dogs with knee problems, cancer, diabetes...all this over a span of 40 years.
I still have cats, dogs and birds...they are my heart and my life.
I even allowed a cat rescue free space on my commercial property so she could operate her organization there without worrying about that expense. There are many more instances I have not listed but I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on homeless, abused animals and don't regret one single penny, in fact I would do more if I could... so don't even begin to preach to me about being a 'steward of nature'!
I have met Tim and I see where he is coming from, I simply cannot condem him like everyone else is and certainly don't condone burning him at the stake as many seem prepared to do.

Edited by jiyabird, 26 January 2016 - 05:55 PM.

• Bikerdude likes this

#54 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:23 PM

Again :

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Shamelessness: Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.
Magical thinking: Narcissists see themselves as perfect using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking.
They also use projection to dump shame onto others.
Arrogance: A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.
Envy: A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person’s ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.
Entitlement: Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because
they consider themselves special. Failure to comply is considered an attack on their superiority, and the perpetrator is considered an
“awkward” or “difficult” person. Defiance of their will is a narcissistic injury that can trigger narcissistic rage.
Exploitation: Can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests.
Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible.
Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.
Bad boundaries: Narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves.
Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all. Those who provide narcissistic supply to the narcissist are treated as if
they are part of the narcissist and are expected to live up to those expectations. In the mind of a narcissist there is no boundary between self and other.

• kelley and TrishR like this

#55 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:00 AM

Make your own decisions about where you stand but first examine the public records of WIN.  A free Guidestar registration may be necessary to view this but here is Wildlife in Need's 2014 IRS 990 federal return:

http://www.guidestar...-0b73505a-9.pdf

Schedule A, Part III is particularly interesting.  Year-to-year comparison for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

All non-profit 501©(3) organizations are required to make copies of their federal tax returns available for inspection.  Guidestar collects data and documentation on non-profits from all over the country, not just this one.

• kelley, RiverFox, Bikerdude and 1 other like this

#56 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

Wow. Good work Hound dog.  It's amazing they do all they do on that limited budget. Good info. 

#57 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

I am not paid for my comments.  Tim went to school with my sister and my Dad was his biology teacher in high school.  Tim had a passion for wild animals then and cared for them.    I don't like it when a person who is  seen as 'different' is picked on.  I see a lot of that in this situation.  When, as his lawyer, I see how he was unfairly accused I have to confess it makes me feel even more sympathy for him and his life's work.   I certainly don't understand it...but I know real passion and commitment when I see it.  Obviously Tim makes mistakes like anybody else.   He has paid for them.  But what I've seen the past year or so is a mob-like 'piling on'.   

I am proud to be his lawyer too btw and proud to have beat the USDA in their own back yard. 

• jiyabird likes this

#58 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

I apologize Petsy, I did not mean to insult you. I judged you before knowing all the facts. I can see you are a smart man. 

I understand Tim's passion for animals because I share the same passion.

The only difference is I worked for 34 years saving the money I earned, so that later in life I could spend it on saving animals.

He chose to use the animals to make his money for him. 

WIN IRS 990  2015 revenue $569,000

expense $333,000

Edited by TrishR, 28 January 2016 - 10:42 AM.

• RiverFox likes this

#59 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

We can argue until we wear our keyboards out but I doubt if any of us will change our opinions in regard to 'Wildlife In Need'.
It does make for a lively exchange of points of view though, just as so many other topics have on this chat board.
It keeps our minds sharp and our lives interesting.
Thanks to the creators and those that take the time to keep the Chatter running.
  • kelley and Quasar like this

#60 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:18 AM

Just ran across a link for a GoFundMe campaign for the "sanctuary." They're using "Love WINs" for the campaign.

Cuss. Cuss. Cuss.
  • Quasar, TrishR and RiverFox like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users