64 replies to this topic

#21 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

Petsy, I know for fact that they did bring injured wildlife to him but NO MORE, not for last few years. 

Ask candidate Mac Spainhour, DNR officier Bo Spainhour, animal control officier Mike Ettel, or New Albany shelter Director David Hall.

I wouldn't ask David Hall for the time of day. I don't trust him and yes, I know what I am talking about, I have seen him in action several times.

#22 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

Tim got to be a target of DNR over a deer he had nursed back to health.  (this was about 7 years ago).  They tried to ruin him.  At the

hearing in Indy, where he represented himself,  the ALJ  practically laughed the DNR out of the room.  I guess after that they haven't been a fan.

I will talk to Mike though.  I value his view point.   I like Mac but he is loyal to DNR. 

#23 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

http://kycir.org/201...ildlife-refuge/

I just wish that PETA wasn't involved. They tend to have less than average credibility.

I don't like PETA either but the are media hounds. They know how to get international press.

#24 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Tim never addresses what happens to the tiger cubs after he is finished exploiting them. 

Drug dealer in NYC apartment? 

Fur coat on opening night at the opera? 

Body parts on the black market? 

What do you do with a tiger after it's no longer cute and playful? 

• iRescue likes this

#25 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

TrishR,

Thanks for posting.  It gives me a chance to comment on the ridiculous rumors

that WIN generates.   There is something spectacularly unusual about Tim having

the audacity to refuge and care for exotic animals that for some .... it really stokes

the imagination.  Formerly,  the whispers were that Tim's operation was a cover for

some nefarious doings...(but no one could ever pin point exactly what it was.)

Tim is an eccentric (What else would you call a man who has a pet cougar?) and

the small minded point of view gets exercised over that.  That's half the problem

right there.  That, while of course they will deny it....  some just can't accept and

are jealous on some level of a person who goes his own way in such a big, defiant

and spectacular way.

As for what happens to those tigers....Why don't you call  Tim and ask him?

As an animal rescue supporter (noting your signature line for SIR)  you should know

better than most the jeopardy an animal care operation can come under and how it

can be made to look bad by publicity seekers or.... nit pickers. 

I am sure that none of your rumor stirring suggestions is true. Especially

making fur out of them.  That's unworthy of you. IMO.

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 22 November 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#26 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

I have asked him. He told me he gives them away. Not likely, but he couldn't produce a name of anyone he has received a tiger. 

This is from Tanya Tuell, President of River Valley Humane Society….

WIN is basically a 'puppy mill' producing tiger cubs instead of dogs. The female tiger is bred repeatedly, her babies are taken away very early so she never gets to raise and nurture her babies. Do women who visit WIN not consider the grief the mother tiger experiences when her babies are taken away over and over and over and over? How can any woman support this cruelty? The babies are used for profit then the big question: Where do the babies go after they become large and potentially dangerous to the public? I was told they are "donated" for educational purposes. Try to find out where they are "donated". That information doesn't seem to be available. 
Anyone breeding big cats IS NOT operating a sanctuary or a rescue. They instead are contributing to the problem of unwanted abandoned large cats. Anyone breeding animals IS a breeder. That's it.

Edited by TrishR, 22 November 2015 - 10:47 AM.

• iRescue likes this

#27 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

Your animosity is showing.   I haven't asked him what he does with them..but I will.

Meanwhile, I KNOW he is a refuge. For FACT specific example,  He learned of a 'show' that had

a tiger in Myrtle beach that was unhealthy and the owners  were unable/unwilling to provide

it care.  He got this animal and segregated it and spent weeks, if not months, restoring it's health.

Similarly,  I know some of his animals have come from private individuals whose animals became

untenable for the to care for. 

But, it is interesting to me that you come on a public forum and question his word.  SMH.

#28 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

I am not alone with questioning his word.

I stand with the USDA, US Dept of Fish and Wildlife, as well as state and local officials

• iRescue likes this

#29 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:16 AM

A word on 'standing with USDA'.  

after issuing Tim a license in 2009, 2010, 11, 12, 13 and 14.  ....suddenly after 'pressure' from PETA  the USDA filed a motion to suspend

Tim's license based on having sold an Ocelot to a person from Texas in 2006. (the animal was not harmed in anyway btw.)

The DNR (state and 'local'? officials?)   brought him an injured buck back @ 2007.   Tim spent a lot of time money and resource

restoring this animal to health.  After it was healthy,  they wanted to release it to the wild.  Tim objected and defied them because

the animal had been changed and lost its wariness to humans.  He feared it would be quick targeted in hunt season. 

This dispute led to a prosecution which the ALJ dismissed and scolded DNR for.   Tim represented himself in that. 

BTW...USDA  has since reissued a license.... while their motion is pending.  SMH.

#30 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

I think its reasonable that he upgrades his enclosures to meet Industry Standards which he has not.

To think the Leopard killed last year was not his is ridiculous.

As a big cat rehab, I would like to know how many big cats he has returned to their wild native habitat.

• iRescue likes this

#31 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

“This is what I live for.  From the time I get up to the time I go to bed.  Every day,” owner Tim Stark said.

And on Tuesday, he watched part of his life go up in flames.

“By the time I got on my road I could see smoke flying everywhere.  By the time I got back here, it was already done.  There wasn't anything anybody could do,” he said.

Forty-one animals were killed in the fire at Wildlife in Need, from exotic birds to reptiles.  Stark says he sprung to action to save the animals that were in cages outside of the barn.

http://www.whas11.co...s-ind/78686004/

#32 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

I feel such sorrow for the animals that died such a horrible death.
I am angry at the news media who immediately jumped the gun and got everyone's hopes up by reporting none were injured.
Regardless of what you think of Tim Stark, or his operation, if you have any compassion at all as a human being you must realize he is sick at heart for the loss of these innocent animals he cared for and loved.
I hope none of you will sink low enough to insinuate he caused this fire on purpose, for whatever reason, for if you do you are cruel beyond words.
  • Oldgoat likes this

#33 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:59 PM

I don't know much about this man's operation, but from the videos posted I see nothing wrong with what he is doing. Heck, I might just take a ride out there myself. I wanna play with the baby tigers and "act like a diddly-dang fool".

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 14 January 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#34 WalkerStalker812

WalkerStalker812

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

There is absolutely nothing about this place that qualifies it as a "sanctuary". 

If you do the most basic research, which is a quick google search asking "What is the definition of an animal sanctuary" you will find that Wildlife in Need does not meet these standards.  An animal sanctuary is, in laymen's terms, an area set aside for animals to live as natural a life as possible until they die.  WiN is the opposite of this. An animal's natural life does not include "playtime" with humans where they are forced to pose for photos with people who have paid $25 a pop to do so.  This also does not include living in enclosures that are nothing like the large parcels of land the U.S. government has set aside for animals to live safely and with minimal human interaction. 

Also, an ambassador usually signs up for their position and does not have it assigned to them without their consent. 

I appreciate the work Mr. Stark does to rehabilitate animals until they can be re-released into the wild, but unfortunately the exploitation he does with his tigers and monkeys to make money overshadows the good he does. 

#35 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

There is absolutely nothing about this place that qualifies it as a "sanctuary". 

If you do the most basic research, which is a quick google search asking "What is the definition of an animal sanctuary" you will find that Wildlife in Need does not meet these standards.  An animal sanctuary is, in laymen's terms, an area set aside for animals to live as natural a life as possible until they die.  WiN is the opposite of this. An animal's natural life does not include "playtime" with humans where they are forced to pose for photos with people who have paid $25 a pop to do so.  This also does not include living in enclosures that are nothing like the large parcels of land the U.S. government has set aside for animals to live safely and with minimal human interaction. 

Also, an ambassador usually signs up for their position and does not have it assigned to them without their consent. 

I appreciate the work Mr. Stark does to rehabilitate animals until they can be re-released into the wild, but unfortunately the exploitation he does with his tigers and monkeys to make money overshadows the good he does.

I believe the money he takes in goes to provide food and care for those animals. There is also something called 'overhead' when you operate a business. I doubt if Mr. Stark is getting rich.

#36 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

I have made enemies on this chat and lost friends by defending Tim Stark and Wildlife In Need...that is sad.
I have been harmed by people not giving me the benefit of the doubt. I have been hurt by lies that have been told about me...in court and in my professional life. I see how the media will turn words around to make their stories more sensational. I have seen them stretch the truth and out and out lie. I have seen figures and facts adjusted to fit a picture that is wanted to be shown to the public.
I have seen friends destroyed by these very actions that are happening to Tim...unjustly and illegally, by word of mouth and rampant, ignorant press stories.
Unless you have actually seen for yourself, met the man yourself...don't be so quick to jump to conclusions, to judge.
Don't go on a witch hunt in the 21st. century.

#37 WalkerStalker812

WalkerStalker812

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

jiya, I would bet that Mr. Stark makes more money than he lets on. I would love to see the financial records for his "sanctuary", but record keeping does not seem to be one of his strengths. He charges $25 per person to play with his tigers, his business seems to operate through volunteers, not staff, and there is the question he never seems to answer. Why does he have an endless stream of baby tigers and very few adult tigers? He has been investigated before because of selling animals and I have no doubt he still is.

This is no witch hunt. I don't need to meet Mr. Stark to know that what he is doing is not in the best interests of his animals. He has himself done interviews and videos for me to say that no, he has no business running a "sanctuary". It isn't good for his animals or the naive public who turns a blind eye to what is best for a wild animal just for the selfish opportunity to have a picture taken with a baby tiger. A true sanctuary would allow their animals to lead as normal a life as possible. A true animal lover would want that. Mr. Stark wants to make money, plain and simple.
  • RiverFox and iRescue like this

#38 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

It seems reasonable that he makes the changes to bring his enclosures to federal standards.

It seems reasonable that he accounts for his animals.  As stated, what happens to all the babies?

I did attend a program he did at the Falls of the Ohio around 2000.  After he was heard promoting keeping bears as pets in this program, the staff at the park cut all ties with him.

Why does he allow his big cats do breed?  Zoos are even having issues finding homes for tigers.  What does he do with all these cubs?  He seems to have a never ending supply of cubs.  What happens to them after they grow up?  Cats grow very fast, so, he must be breeding year 'round.

Does no one think it is possible the leopard killed just miles from his facility was not his? 

His "heart" may be in the right place, but his actions do not seem to follow.

I do feel for the animals that were killed in the fire.  I also feel for the animals that continue to have to call that place home.

#39 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

a.   All cubs are either  kept by W.I.N. or placed with USDA approved facilities.

b.  As for worrying about the animals that 'have to call that place home',  I can only say that

I have visited zoos all over the country (and in other countries).  My experiences have always seen

big cats dull eyed and lying around their enclosures being very lethargic and dull.  This is in stark

contrast to the lively and active and animated tigers I saw at WIN.   There is no question in my mind

that the tigers at WIN are in better 'spirits' than any zoo kept tiger or big cat I have ever seen. 

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 25 January 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#40 WalkerStalker812

WalkerStalker812

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

a.   All cubs are either  kept by W.I.N. or placed with USDA approved facilities.

b.  As for worrying about the animals that 'have to call that place home',  I can only say that

I have visited zoos all over the country (and in other countries).  My experiences have always seen

big cats dull eyed and lying around their enclosures being very lethargic and dull.  This is in stark

contrast to the lively and active and animated tigers I saw at WIN.   There is no question in my mind

that the tigers at WIN are in better 'spirits' than any zoo kept tiger or big cat I have ever seen. 

I would like to see documentation on what facilities he has put his tigers in and that it was a donation.  

Also, I'm not sure someone's opinion on what constitutes a lively and animated tiger is an argument that would really hold up long. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users