2 replies to this topic

#1 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Not sure if many people aware of this but Indiana passed a new law July 1, 2013 , House Enrolled 1482, allowing ex-felons to have their records expunged under certain circumstances.
There are various waiting periods, 1 year, 5 years or 10 years depending on the crime and it is also based on the severity of their charges..some are not allowed in certain cases.
The cost is around $141.00.
The state realized how this was impacting people from obtaining good jobs after they have repaid their debt to society and FINALLY showed good judgement for once.
This may help some of the homeless get back on their feet, hopefully.
  • Mary likes this

#2 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

I am so glad so many people are interested in this! I will certainly go out of my way to try and be helpful again !

#3 Gabriella

Gabriella

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

It's good information, Jiya. Not all felons are hardened criminals. I know of one guy who lost his job and was unable to pay child support. He had always paid while he was working, but it was close to a year before he was employed again and was able to pay. It wasn't like he didn't want to support his child.....he adores his little one and would have given him the stars and the moon if he could. He just couldn't for a while. Slapped with a felony. Was very difficult for him to find a job once that happened, but he finally did. Still struggling to catch up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users