367 replies to this topic

#41 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

It sure seems as if the people on this forum at least are starting to understand the true nature of Mayor Bob Hall. I hope who ever decides to run for Mayor at least has the understanding that government is set-up to have checks and balances,city councils are in place to represent the whole city, the haves as well as the have nots,the meek as well as the strong,Pleasant Ridge as well as the other areas that meet Bob Hall's "Vision For Charlestown" 

:goodpost:

Thank you, Pawpaw, for putting your finger on the problem that has so divided people in our city.

Bob Hall is a control freak that will never have enough power to please himself. He makes every decision; wants no input from anyone else. It's his way or the highway. God help you if you disagree with him. You will be scorned and ignored, and he will condemn you in every way he can. He will use the power of city government to harass you in any way possible.  I have witnessed the man telling so many lies that I think he tells one each morning just to keep in practice.

The Pleasant Ridge residents are in for a real battle.  He despises them, and wants nothing more than to get them out of the city. 

It's not enough for him to rule the city with an iron fist.  He has managed to inject himself into our schools, and apparently wields some power with the local school administrators.  Shame on the Greater Clark board for allowing that. 

• Donna and Sleepy like this

#42 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

I apologize if this has already been posted. There is a Facebook page for those following this.

https://www.facebook...268514256654072

Edited by kelley, 27 October 2014 - 08:08 PM.

• Quasar likes this

#43 partsguy

partsguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

Wow.

(“There has been no action by the city to exercise the use of eminent domain in this area. The city is assessing the desire of property owners to sell their properties and the viability of the redevelopment. The mayor has been meeting personally with individual property owners to discuss the proposed plan,” Mayoral spokesperson Geneva Adams said.)

I'd like to hear from someone he's discussed this with.

#44 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Meeting with individuals seems to me to be a method of divide and conquer, if you are able to be convienced that everyone around you is doing something (in this case selling their property),then it becomes much more difficult to stand for what you believe is right.  I don't believe the City of Charlestown or Mayor Hall should be meeting with individuals,because this case may become a precident for the entire state or maybe even the nation,we as citizens deserve transparancy,all the people that own property or rent in the Pleasent Ridge Subdivision,or for that matter any concerned citizen should be prevy to all deals made between the mayor and individuals. Closed door meetings lead to public un-trust,discrimination and not equal treatment, I am not a lawyer,but it seems to me that if Mayor Hall continues with his " Vision" that he is putting the City of Charlestown in a position that could lead to Civil Rights violations and maybe even lawsuits! All the secret meetings sure don't pass the smell test !!!!

• Sleepy likes this

#45 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

I talked to a young man today who rents property in Pleasant Ridge for less than 500 dollars per month. He works locally were he can walk to work every day,this young man is not lazy and is not a criminal,he also is not 55 years old and would'nt qualify for the patio homes that Mayor Hall is talking about in his "Vision". The young man that I'm writing about does'nt own his own car and he stated that he moved to Charlestown,because it was the only community around were he could work hard and not have to ask for government assistance in order to survive. I nearly cried as I listened to his plight,he has children and wants them to understand that hard work and not hand-outs is the way to being a good person. If Bob Hall has his way and the rental property in Pleasant Ridge is demolished along with the other homes,where are people like this young man going to find a place to live for less than 500 dollars? Maybe a better question does Bob Hall or City Hall even care?

• kelley, Budd, CityBoy and 1 other like this

#46 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

Bob Hall's threats to fine property owners for building code violations are reportedly paying off: one owner of multiple rental units has already agreed to sell. His strategy is clear: Rid the city of those people he detests -- the people who rent houses in Pleasant Ridge. That same tactic -- harass homeowners by threatening huge fines -- will also be applied to Pleasant Ridge residents who own their homes.

I don't care how you feel about Bob Hall, this is an outrageous use of the power of city government.  If this power isn't curtailed by the City Council, your right to home ownership in Charlestown will depend entirely on Bob Hall's whims.

• kelley, Quasar, Budd and 2 others like this

#47 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

Mayor Hall and Clerk Treasurer Coomer are both big fans of Christmas,they even had the city's own radio channel where they spoke of "all the great and amazing family memories" that the people of Charlestown would be able to share because they were privileged to live in the place known as "Christmas City". I have read alot of Christmas stories in my life and I do not remember any that ended with people being thrown out of their homes.That would be some great memory for a child at Christmas! I have been told that our Clerk Treasurer was raised in the Pleasant Ridge Subdivision, that is about to be razed! Donna Coomer has no trouble complimenting Bob Hall on his accomplishments. There is something wrong with someone who does not speak out against the injustice of threating fines on her old neighbors,to try and force them out of their homes. People of Pleasant Ridge please remember that the Clerk Treasurer Donna Coomer has not spoke out in public meetings or at city council meetings,the Pleasant Ridge voters have always been strong supporters of Donna Coomer and this is how she repays the kindness! If Mayor BOB HUMBUG does'nt run you out of town before the elections next year "PLEASE REPAY" Donna Coomer and the Mayor's kindness by joining me and Voting them both out of office!

Edited by Old Pawpaw, 30 October 2014 - 11:21 PM.

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

#48 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Come on Bob Hall backers, can't one of you explain the justification of Bob Hall threating code violation fines on the home owners in order to get them to sign a promissory note saying they will sell their homes.Could it be that you or maybe someone you care about is next on Bob Hall's list.I hope that people are not waiting until this atrocity against freedom impacts them directly, before they decide to speak out.Be careful that you don't wait too long,it might be by the time Bob Hall gets to you or your family,there is no one left to speak for you! It sure seems that Bob Hall's idea of getting rid of crime and poverty is to run them out of town.The problem is that if you eliminate a segment of society(namely some of the Pleasant Ridge Subdivision)then another area of town becomes the largest area for crime and poverty! The idea of eliminating groups of people is not new to society,a whole lot of great Americans, both rich and poor,have died fighting to protect everyones rights. I am an old man,maybe I am missing something, is Bob Hall right and the freedom to decide for yourself an out dated idea? Please reply Bob Hall backers,maybe you can teach this old dog a new trick!

#49 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have heard that some of the people that own rental property in Pleasant Ridge have decided that Bob Hall has a great idea,and have agreed to sell their rental property! Could it be that the property they are willing to sell are the properties that are run down and this would be an opportunity to end their fight against city hall and the threat of code violation fines? It is fine to tear down some of these dilapidated properties,but leave the responsible land lords and home owners alone!

#50 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

I have no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that you are the only one, with the exception of one poster, to care enough, in the last month, to beat this dead horse.  I have no connection to Bob and the City powers that be, but I can almost assuredly tell you that this project IS GOING TO HAPPEN.  All of the objections may be valid, but the protesting, the block parties, the rallying will do nothing to stop this hostile takeover.  I'm not saying that those who oppose should lay down, but you may need to accept the old adage, "You can't fight City Hall" with the addendum (and win). 

#51 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

I have heard that some of the people that own rental property in Pleasant Ridge have decided that Bob Hall has a great idea,and have agreed to sell their rental property! Could it be that the property they are willing to sell are the properties that are run down and this would be an opportunity to end their fight against city hall and the threat of code violation fines? It is fine to tear down some of these dilapidated properties,but leave the responsible land lords and home owners alone!

Hall is meeting with owners and persuading them to sign a "Letter of Intent to Sell Property" to Neace Ventures. Owners who want to sell their property should tell Bob Hall to "stuff it," and find a buyer in the usual manner, i.e., enlist the help of a real estate agent. Hall has no business interfering in a private matter. His behavior in this matter is unethical and downright shameful.

As his plan unfolds, folks, just follow the money. The last time Hall got cozy with a developer, he was rewarded with buku campaign donations from that developer, who subsequently received hundreds of thousands of dollars from the city as reimbursement for his cost to run a sewer line to his subdivision site. 

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

#52 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

BS.

You can fight city hall and win. The state has eminent domain rules passed after Kelo that make a blatant land grab more difficult. The residents have a national legal organization helping them. At least one state organization is interested in helping if there's a role for them...why try to diminish the residents' hope of saving their homes?

Edited by kelley, 19 November 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, CityBoy and 2 others like this

#53 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

This battle isn't just about Pleasant Ridge. A huge portion of the city was declared to be "blighted" in 2000 (see Resolution 2000-R-06 on the city's web site). Bob Hall slipped that one through an unsuspecting City Council that didn't realize that his long-range goal is to convert Charlestown into a Norman Rockwell "village," which will have no room for residences he deems "blighted."  If you own property on one of the following streets, you're next in line -- it's just a matter of time.

Basham Drive     Bohart Lane     Brentview Drive     Broadmoor Ave.     Carriage Way     Chris Court     Church St.     Danny Drive     Dean St.     Delta Drive

Fulkerson Drive (north side only)     Glendale Drive     Green Valley Drive     Henson Court     Hodge St.     LaFawn Drive     Lisa Lane     Locust Drive     Lynn Lane

Market St. (east side only, between Park St. and the hospital)     Melanie Lane     Monroe St. (between Park St. and Hgwy. 3*)     Morningside Drive

Omega Blvd.     Parkland Court     Pirate Place     Schindler Drive     Sunnyside Drive     Talina Drive     West Drive     Whitsett Way

*Excluding 3 parcels between Pirate Place and Park St.

Edited by CityBoy, 19 November 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#54 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hall is giving threats to people  with code violations.  Isn't Tony Jackson the Code Enforcement officer?

How does he feel? His family is one of the best in the so called Project area....Hmmmmmm

#55 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

NotBanned- I believe your comments may have some merit, "You can't fight City Hall" I also believe that I am thankful our forefathers did'nt have the same set of beliefs or we may be living in an English Territory instead of the United States!!! My old grandpappy use to quote a line that is in a country song,"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything!"I'm just trying to stay upright and make my grandpappy proud!I sure hope that Charlestown's City Council can make the same claim!!!
  • Tina likes this

#56 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

sure hope that Charlestown's City Council can make the same claim!!!

Hall is using the International Property Maintenance Code -- adopted by Ordinance 2008-OR-1 -- to threaten homeowners with code violations.  The City Council must repeal this ordinance. Otherwise, Hall will have the power to decide who is entitled to home ownership in Charlestown. It's that simple.

• kelley, Donna and Old Pawpaw like this

#57 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

BS.

You can fight city hall and win. The state has eminent domain rules passed after Kelo that make a blatant land grab more difficult. The residents have a national legal organization helping them. At least one state organization is interested in helping if there's a role for them...why try to diminish the residents' hope of saving their homes?

Kelley, I only expressed my opinion of not being able to fight City Hall and win in the case of this event only.  If resident's hopes diminish because of one mans opinion, then one questions the depth of that hope to begin with.

This battle isn't just about Pleasant Ridge. A huge portion of the city was declared to be "blighted" in 2000 (see Resolution 2000-R-06 on the city's web site). ...

CityBoy, I checked the resolution you presented and it refers only to city beautification and doesn't mention, at all, any of those locations you mentioned.  Either you mistakenly quoted the wrong document or this is just the red herring I believe it to be.

NotBanned- I believe your comments may have some merit, "You can't fight City Hall" I also believe that I am thankful our forefathers did'nt have the same set of beliefs or we may be living in an English Territory instead of the United States!!! My old grandpappy use to quote a line that is in a country song,"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything!"I'm just trying to stay upright and make my grandpappy proud!I sure hope that Charlestown's City Council can make the same claim!!!

Old Pawpaw. our forefathers fled in search of independence, but ended up becoming the same type of suppressor that they wanted freedom from.  In essence, they BECAME City Hall.  I applaud you for standing up for the cause as you seem to feel strongly about it.  However, I'm afraid the only thing falling will be the Pleasant Ridge Community ... sooner than later.

#58 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

Kelley, I only expressed my opinion of not being able to fight City Hall and win in the case of this event only. If resident's hopes diminish because of one mans opinion, then one questions the depth of that hope to begin with.

CityBoy, I checked the resolution you presented and it refers only to city beautification and doesn't mention, at all, any of those locations you mentioned. Either you mistakenly quoted the wrong document or this is just the red herring I believe it to be.

Old Pawpaw. our forefathers fled in search of independence, but ended up becoming the same type of suppressor that they wanted freedom from. In essence, they BECAME City Hall. I applaud you for standing up for the cause as you seem to feel strongly about it. However, I'm afraid the only thing falling will be the Pleasant Ridge Community ... sooner than later.

I asked, "why try?" I didn't suggest the attempt would be successful.

It's hard to know how else to characterize a claim their efforts will fail.

It would be in the best interest of all property owners who want their rights respected to stand with the residents and sincerely hope they are successful.

Edited by kelley, 20 November 2014 - 03:45 PM.

• CityBoy likes this

#59 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

CityBoy, I checked the resolution you presented and it refers only to city beautification and doesn't mention, at all, any of those locations you mentioned.  Either you mistakenly quoted the wrong document or this is just the red herring I believe it to be.

The Resolution 2000-R-06 isn't posted on the city's web site. Perhaps you searched the site for Ordinances instead of Resolutions. For some strange reason :laugh:  the city is very selective about which Resolutions and Ordinances get posted.  I have a printed copy of the Resolution, which I acquired through an open records request.  I made this request because I knew Bob Hall falsified the city's application for Blight Elimination Funds.  He claimed that the City Council declared Pleasant Ridge to be blighted, citing 2000-R-06.

Sorry if you think I'm trying to create red herrings on this issue. Hope this convinces you otherwise.

• Donna likes this

#60 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:36 PM

This battle isn't just about Pleasant Ridge. A huge portion of the city was declared to be "blighted" in 2000 (see Resolution 2000-R-06 on the city's web site). 

The Resolution 2000-R-06 isn't posted on the city's web site.

My Mistake.

For some strange reason  the city is very selective about which Resolutions and Ordinances get posted. 

I have a printed copy of the Resolution, which I acquired through an open records request.

He claimed that the City Council declared Pleasant Ridge to be blighted, citing 2000-R-06.

Sorry if you think I'm trying to create red herrings on this issue. Hope this convinces you otherwise.

Since I can't see the document and there is no CURRENT talk about razing other areas, I'll not concern myself with it.  This topic is about the Pleasant Ridge Community so I'll focus my comments there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users