367 replies to this topic

#221 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

Notbanned,I agree that some of those houses are beyond repair,I believe the key word in both of our posts is "some" not all, Mayor Hall has an all or nothing approach that gives no consideration to the people who take pride in their homes and have the right to make their own choices.

I believe that the two candidates that I mentioned in my previous post have some great ideas on how to revitalize Pleasant Ridge and not infringe on individual rights in order to do so.

By the way placing lipstick on the proverbial pig was not included in the ideas of either Dan James or Tina Gabbard Barnes.

#222 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Where can I learn more about those two candidates ideas?

#223 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

NotBanned,you can contact Dan James thru City Hall I believe they would be able to give you his e-mail. Tina Gabbard Barnes can be contacted by telephone at( 502)598-9403 or e-mail at tinaamdean1@yahoo.com.

#224 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

Specific to the projects, how do you go about doing one without the other? 

There is no easy answer to your question.  But Bob Hall certainly demonstrated how NOT to go about it.  He blew it, because he didn't even bother to consult the property owners before he launched his "Blight to Bright" initiative. Nor did he consult with the City Council ahead of time.  He compounded his error by launching class warfare against the Pleasant Ridge residents, by labeling their school children as a "stigma on the schools."  Now he is in such an adolescent pique that he is refusing to cooperate with anybody to move ball forward.

Bob Hall's guiding principle:  "Always dictate, never cooperate."  I don't think he ever accepted an idea or suggestion that was not in total agreement with his position on the matter.  It's past time for him to go.

• Old Pawpaw likes this

#225 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

Those who care about this issue need to be following the discussion about Regional Development Authority taking place mostly on the Clark County forum.

Bob Hall advocated for RDA to pass. It has passed in Clark County, but it's viabilty given limited participation from other counties is questionable.

The RDA has power of eminent domain but is an appointed board with no accountability to voters. They will be able to accomplish what your elected representatives on the council protected Pleasant Ridge from.

It isn't over.
  • cindiloohoo, Quasar, CityBoy and 3 others like this

#226 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

BEWARE Pleasant Ridge homeowners.  Bob Hall's Blight to Bright Resolution failed, but only because the City Council rejected it. Not a problem for Hall, who will never rest until Pleasant Ridge is razed.  On June 11, 2014, he got his Redevelopment Commission to adopt a Resolution that designated Pleasant Ridge as an area needing redevelopment.  Then they adopted Resolution No.

2014-R-06.  Here's a link:

http://1ocp8134fznh2...n-2014-R-6-.pdf

This Resolution states that the Commission "has a duty" to:

• Select and acquire the areas needing redevelopment, and
  • Re-plan and dispose of the areas needing redevelopment

Puppet Ted Little voted "Yes" on this. What does he care if you folks get tossed out on the street?  He lives quite comfortably in one of the largest houses on Highway 403.  HE MUST BE DEFEATED IN THE UPCOMING ELECTION.  He is opposed by Donna Ennis, who needs all the help she can get to defeat the Hall-Coomer machine in their District.

I feel certain that Hall also has Glendale and North Charlestown neighborhoods in his sights.  To put it bluntly:  He doesn't think you folks deserve to live in Charlestown.  You must elect Jeff Aaron and Dan James, if you are to resist Hall's CLASS WARFARE.

Edited by CityBoy, 13 October 2015 - 01:14 PM.

• Cheryl L Ross and Old Pawpaw like this

#227 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

Have any of the council candidates pledged not to use eminent domain to take homes in PR?

• kelley likes this

#228 Cheryl L Ross

Cheryl L Ross

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:32 PM

Quasar.Dan James went on tv to let the people know what was going on at PR,he voted against what Mr Hall wanted to do as did Ruth,Jeff .How can 1 person determine who goes and who stays? Yes there are some homes there that do need attention,but let the people fix them up ,let them live in their homes,Mr Hall has other areas he wants to blight or tear down and build his dream,Dream,$200.00 homes to be built,how can these people afford that.Charlestown is a nice place to live,but lets help people come here,not chase them out.Mr Hall's main concern should be our brown water problem.There are grants out there for such as this,look.find,apply and receive,also grants to build a decent precinct for our Police Officers.Getting these done instead of demeaning children who live in PR was a low blow,these children will someday be our future,become Police Officers,Drs,etc,give them a chance,they are just kids looking to have a better life someday.As for eminent domain Quasar,if Mr Halls people get elected ,''kiss those homes goodbye'' Thank You for letting me vent a little

• SteveInIndiana likes this

#229 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

As for eminent domain Quasar,if Mr Halls people get elected ,''kiss those homes goodbye'' Thank You for letting me vent a little

For those of us that don't follow Charlestown politics closely... who exactly are "Mr. Halls people"?

I'm firmly opposed to government seizing property and would like to know the names of people that are running for office that think this is ok... 

• kelley, Cheryl L Ross and Tina like this

#230 Riverlover

Riverlover

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:52 PM

I'm thoroughly confused as to how this has came to be called eminent domain. The plan all along was a developer would purchase these homes and and rebuild decent, quality housing. In other words, the government was never "seizing" property. 

Edited by Riverlover, 21 October 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#231 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:09 PM

Quasar, I believe Cheryl is talking about Bob Hall's hand picked group, all Republican that he wants to be his City Council.  The reason he picked this group is that he must feel he can control them !  Bob Hall has tried to get his personal pick of City Councilmen or Councilwomen elected every time he has ran for office. If elected they had better not dare vote for anything other than what Bob Hall wants, or in four more years he will have different people on his ticket.  The names of the people running who think it is O.K. to seize property are Ted Little, Ben Ledbetter, George Roberts, Brian Hester, and Eric Vaughn. NONE of these council candidates have pledged not to use eminent domain, and none will.

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

#232 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:11 PM

For those of us that don't follow Charlestown politics closely... who exactly are "Mr. Halls people"?

I'm firmly opposed to government seizing property and would like to know the names of people that are running for office that think this is ok... 

"Mr. Hall's people" are the the Republican candidates for City Council seats that are on his slate, and for whom he is vigorously campaigning.  They are Ben Ledbetter, George Roberts, Ted Little, and Brian Hester, and Eric Vaughn.  They are committed to Bob Hall, and will do as told, in my opinion.  I hope every voter asks each of them where they stand on the issue of using eminent domain to take Pleasant Ridge homeowners' property, for resale (for a pittance) to Neace Ventures.  

Edited by CityBoy, 21 October 2015 - 11:24 PM.

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

#233 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

I'm thoroughly confused as to how this has came to be called eminent domain. The plan all along was a developer would purchase these homes and and rebuild decent, quality housing. In other words, the government was never "seizing" property.

Did I misunderstand this situation? It would be a voluntary situation where the property owners could refuse to participate?

#234 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

It came to be called eminent domain because Bob Hall and the city attorney told Pleasant Ridge residents, in a public meeting, that they were prepared to use eminent domain to force them to sell their property to Neace Ventures.  Nothing confusing about that.  The government was seizing private property.

As far as the plan you mentioned:  Neace Ventures, Bob Hall's chosen developer, made absolutely no binding commitment to build anything.  Once he had ownership, he could build anything he chose.  You can bet your sweet bippy he wasn't going to build decent, quality housing that the displaced Pleasant Ridge folks could afford. 

Bob Hall wants Pleasant Ridge, and its residents, gone. It's that simple. He thinks those folks aren't entitled to live in Charlestown.  He referred to them and their schoolchildren as a stigma on the city and our schools. His entire political success in Charlestown has been based on class warfare -- divide and conquer. The ugliness that pervades our city will continue unless and until the voters show him the door.

• Old Pawpaw and SteveInIndiana like this

#235 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:35 PM

The names of the people running who think it is O.K. to seize property are Ted Little, Ben Ledbetter, George Roberts, Brian Hester, and Eric Vaughn. NONE of these council candidates have pledged not to use eminent domain, and none will.

I'd like to see these candidates come to the Chatter and go on the record about the situation.

I know they're watching... but just in case. Some of you should tell them that the voters are expecting to see them post their position here.

No response means that they most likely believe it's ok for the government seize your home...
  • CityBoy, Cheryl L Ross, Tina and 2 others like this

#236 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

A private developer cannot FORCE someone to sell their home.
Only government can do that.

Why would a private developer buy all but 10 parcels in PR, for instance? He wouldn't. in order to fulfill his vision he would need ALL parcels.
  • Quasar and Old Pawpaw like this

#237 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

If Bob Hall is elected, and his council is elected, and they vote with him, as any free thinking individual would surmise, no area that has a home that does not meet Bob's Team's standards, would be safe. Even if your home is fine, under Bob Hall you are guilty, by association. His,condescending, all or nothing attitude would surely spill over from Pleasant Ridge and could take your or my home next. What about the Hwy 3 business's,he would surely take all of them and replace them with ones that fit his vision. Charlestown should unite and keep Bulldozer Bob from taking anything from anybody, by Voting against him and his demolition Team !

• Cheryl L Ross and SteveInIndiana like this

#238 moose

moose

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:13 AM

The reality of this situation is that Bob Hall wants Pleasant Ridge for a PRIVATE DEVELOPER to redevelop.  He says 70% of the people up there have agreed to sell, which is a LIE.  He strong armed the landlords in to signing papers to agree to sell by issuing $1,000 fines a day against them for violations on their properties.  Guess what, 70% of the property in Pleasant Ridge is RENTALS!  For Bob Hall's entire tenure he has let these Landlords get away with being slum lords!  Which comes as no big surprise, since Bob Hall himself is a slum lord.  Have you seen his rental properties?  You don't have to leave your home to do it, just check them out on the Clark County GIS - it includes pictures:

• 102 Broadmoar
  • 102 Chris Ct
  • 1026 Monroe St
  • 16119 Elm Dr
  • 224 Pine St
  • 360 Main Cross - Boarded Up windows and all - right on the City's square!

Then go check out his home at 1109 Main St.  With sheets for curtains, no landscaping, and an old chain link fence poles surrounding the yard.  He doesn't mind using our tax dollars to beautify the City, but he won't spend a dime to do anything on his crappy properties.

His inability to DO HIS JOB and enforce the ordinances has affected all of us homeowners in Pleasant Ridge.  He has done nothing but vilify us to the rest of Charlestown.  I've got broad shoulders and I can take it.  Charlestown if this is the kind of leadership you want, then go flush your tax dollars down the toilet.  Because if Bob Hall and his team get elected and they come after my home, the law is on MY side and you will pay dearly.  Bob's little plan is going to cost this City MILLIONS in a legal fight that will be publicized across the nation.  It already has been on Glenn Beck's Blaze TV, NPR, and other national news outlets.  We are lawyered up and ready to go!  

Just a few FACTS from Indiana's Eminent Domain Law (HB 1010) signed March 24, 2006 you may want to ponder:

• Projects do not qualify for the use of eminent domain if they are Private (homeowners) to Public (City) to Private (Bob Hall's Developer) aka PPP Project.  If the City uses eminent domain for a PPP project, then property owners are entitled to damages outlined in the law.
  • The damages the CITY will have to pay per the law include 150% of the fair market value of the property, ALL attorney fees, and relocation costs.

A similar case that our attorney's just won cost National City, CA over $2 million dollars in attorney fees paid to them, not to mention the cost to pay their own attorney.  Bob Hall's attorney, Mike Gillenwater, keeps telling them that the City can use eminent domain.  That's because he'll be smiling all the way to the bank with the millions he stands to make.    

If that's the kind of representation you want Charlestown, then don't be complaining when the City is BROKE and can't pave your street, buy those chemicals to clean the brown water, or can't afford to buy gas to drive you around in that train.  

• CityBoy, Cheryl L Ross, Old Pawpaw and 1 other like this

#239 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

I'd like to see these candidates come to the Chatter and go on the record about the situation....

Two groups on the Hall slate:  Ted Little, member of City Council and Redevelopment Commission; has NEVER voted to oppose anything Bob Hall wants. George Roberts, vendor to the city, on the Board of Public Works, failed in past two attempts to get a City Council seat.  For obvious reasons, always votes to support Hall.

Second group -- three newcomers: Ben Ledbetter, principal of New Washington High School; Eric Vaughn, manager of family-owned trucking business; I think both his wife and sister-in-law are employed by the city. Brian Hester, don't know anything about him.

I think the first two don't realize what they signed-on for.  If elected, they will have to support using eminent domain to take homes away from Pleasant Ridge residents. They will be expected to explain to those residents why their schoolchildren are a stigma on our schools.  (Maybe Mr. Ledbetter can tackle that one!)  They will have to spend four years defending the city's dirty water.  They will have to explain to us why the city STILL doesn't have a swimming pool, and tell us why the activities center isn't open on Sundays. They will have to sit quietly by when Bob Hall insults their fellow Council members in public, as he surely will.  And the list goes on.

So . . . I wouldn't expect them them to come on Chatter and tell us what they stand for.

Edited by CityBoy, 22 October 2015 - 09:57 PM.

• SteveInIndiana likes this

#240 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

I wasn't mentioned in this call out, but as a current city council member and candidate for reelection, I am totally opposed to the use of eminent domain by the city to take the property of any individual who doesn't want to sell. 

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, CityBoy and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users