367 replies to this topic

#1 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

Got an earful from a couple of people at Founder's Day this weekend - all opposed.

http://m.newsandtrib...ntguid=xx5RT4Tr

#2 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

I have not heard much about this and will check it out before I make much of a comment but I do live in Charlestown. Several years ago a few new houses were built in that area. I would like to know the amount of rentals and and amount of homes that homeowners live in. Anyone have a good guess? Everyone's idea of a good place is different but this area is horrible. I can't think of a place in the southern Indiana area that looks so bad. Lots of good people live in this area but with houses so close it takes only a few bad apples to make it bad. If I was traveling and didn't know the area this would be the place the the doors would be locked and pepper spray by my side. There are families that have lived in this area for years and have made nice homes but the place next door could be really bad.

I am glad that the residents are finally going to do something.

This area has World War II wooden structures that most were duplexes to start out with.

#3 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

The city of Charlestown needs to enforce the housing codes already on the books ! I also would like to know the breakdown between renters and owners. Also if someone could do a breakdown of the landlords w/ multiple properties.

This would be a good job for Tina --- she alway's seems to pull out this kind of information !!!

#4 FrGloverIII

FrGloverIII

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

I'd like to remain neutral for now, but I WOULD like to hear everyone's opinions on this. In order to fascilitate discussion I would like to bring up the main reasons for and against the proposed actions, and then get your point of view. Know that this is only one of the places Im am polling and my final stance will be decided upon many factors.

Starting with why it should happen:

-Much of the area was deemed blighted and does not meet building requirements

-Much of the crime in Charlestown occurs in this area

-New and better houses would bring in more tax revenue for Charlestown

-New and better houses would provide good housing for the new jobs created

-The State has $75 million dollars in order to demolish dilapidated buildings, maintain the lots for two years and build new houses

*feel free to bring up any more points if I have missed any

Why it shouldn't happen:

-Many of the residents who own those homes will not be compensated enough to make up for their loss

-Many of the residents would be forced into low-income housing

-The houses owned by residents would be taken(and then compensated) rather than traded for or received

-The project may be too large with many of the other projects going on

*again, feel free to bring up any more points I may have missed

Suggested alternative routes (suggestions from various people ive asked):

-Strictly enforce regulations and codes currently in place, and then claim any properties that fail to meet the requirements

-Allow previous owners first rights to purchase the new buildings

-Give new houses to previous owners

*If you have any other suggested routes of action, I would love to hear them

**Again I would like to point out that I wish to remain neutral on this issue. Once I have a say in the matter or am directly affected I will then reveal a stance, but until then I am neither opposed nor supportive.

• hoppy likes this

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

I know fron watching what happened in Jeff's "canal district" homeowners will be forced to become renters in this process. People will be punished for buying and paying off modest homes they could afford.

It's heartening to see the neighbors up your way getting together and getting help. One of the saddest guys in the canal district, who lost his "American dream" as he put it, sold as soon as the city came knocking because he thought he had to. He didn't get how a claim of eminent domain worked, didn't know he could at least make them work for it, stay in his home a little longer and and make them pay him more. He was so miserable about it all. Became a renter and was very hurt.

The canal district in Jeff should be cautionary for another reason. What happens when the current mayor dramatically depopulates part of town as happened here, then is tossed out of office in the backlash? We lost a lot of affordable housing, a lot of people downtown. The school district is threatening to close schools due to low enrollment. Yet the canal for which it was done isn't happening either. It's all been one big net loss with a lot of heartbreak.

Edited by kelley, 09 July 2014 - 06:06 AM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, karen and 4 others like this

#6 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Saw this topic and went out to eGis to look at the homes/apartments in Pleasant Ridge.  Can someone explain to me why most/all the homes in this subdivision have had their assessments dropped pretty drastically?  Tina with your background could you explain why?  I would hate to think it was done to help Mayor Hall be able to get the grant and afford to grab this property for redevelopment.  I have no dog in this fight I was just curious about seeing a home go from being assessed at 96100.00 last year to 58900.00 this year that seems pretty substantial a drop when the market has been going up in general.

• HoundDog and karen like this

#7 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Good question.....

#8 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Lazarus, that it a VERY good question!  Can't wait to hear an explanation for this phenomenon.

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

I will look at it as soon as I have access to my computer!
Been on the road & surfing from my phone.

#10 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Tina also look at homeowner occupied vs rental units

#11 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Looks to me like the valuations are actually now coming in line with what the homes are selling for in that neighborhood.   Looks like the homes were over-assessed for a while.

Unless Bob Hall controls the real estate market in that area, I don't see the drop in assessments as his doing.  The assessments are just trending based on the market.

xbk75t.jpg

#12 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

If the people in the neighborhood disagree with the values and think it is Bob Hall's doing, they can always go down and appeal them back up.  Warning, that will raise the taxes on them though!

Those who own rental properties in the area that pay up to the 2% cap probably appreciate the drop in assessments.

#13 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Thanks, Tina.  My expertise is minimal in this area but it just looked like it was working too well in the government's favor.  I appreciate you researching this. 

#14 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Pleasant Ridge residents would do well remember this about Bob Hall:

• He does not like you, and considers himself to be your superior. He didn’t even bother to campaign in your neighborhood last election cycle, nor were any of his signs posted there.
  • You must not believe anything he tells you, especially if numbers are involved.
  • He will discuss this project privately with selected property owners, in an effort to divide and conquer.
  • He will eventually produce a “dog-and-pony show” for public consumption. It will be complete with a razzle-dazzle video presentation, in which you will be shown a community comparable to Malibu. You might even get some free rainbow stew and Bubble-Up sodas.
  • Bottom line: Be prepared to be run over by your city government, which is entirely controlled by Bob Hall.

• kelley likes this

#15 mmcritter

mmcritter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Pleasant Ridge residents would do well remember this about Bob Hall:

• He does not like you, and considers himself to be your superior. He didn’t even bother to campaign in your neighborhood last election cycle, nor were any of his signs posted there.
  • You must not believe anything he tells you, especially if numbers are involved.
  • He will discuss this project privately with selected property owners, in an effort to divide and conquer.
  • He will eventually produce a “dog-and-pony show” for public consumption. It will be complete with a razzle-dazzle video presentation, in which you will be shown a community comparable to Malibu. You might even get some free rainbow stew and Bubble-Up sodas.
  • Bottom line: Be prepared to be run over by your city government, which is entirely controlled by Bob Hall.

I agree! But - most of all - you need to remember that if you choose NOT to vote, you choose to do nothing and accept the consequences.  YOU NEED TO VOTE!  YOU NEED TO VOICE YOUR OPINION! 

• CityBoy and Cheryl L Ross like this

#16 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Has anyone heard if the city got the grant money? They were suppose to hear on the 23rd or 25th of July. I know the mayor said it was tabled until Nov. but was this the grant or decisions?

#17 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hall said the city asked that its "application be deferred to a second round" and he is expecting action on that in Nov. or Dec. My guess is that the city's request for the grant failed initially, and he hopes there is a second round. Could happen; who knows?

#18 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info.

#19 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I agree! But - most of all - you need to remember that if you choose NOT to vote, you choose to do nothing and accept the consequences.  YOU NEED TO VOTE!  YOU NEED TO VOICE YOUR OPINION! 

ALL eligible voters who live in Pleasant Ridge should be sure to get registered so they can vote in the 2015 election.  Keep in mind that Bob Hall, with help from Council members Cathy Cash and Scott McKechnie, will do everything in his power to run you out of your homes and take control of your living situation for the rest of your lives.

Hall recently tried a major power grab with his effort to get the Council to approve establishing a Redevelopment Board. It would consist of three members, all appointed by him. It would have tremendous power, including the right to float bond issues. In effect, the Council would then be left out of the cycle when the city is plunged into debt to indulge Hall's grandiose plans. Why even bother to have a City Council, huh?  As usual, Cash and McKechnie rubber-stamped that move, and voted YES. Thank God Councilman Jeff Aaron had the gumption to stand up to the mayor, and voted NO.  If Hall ever gets that kind of power, it's good-by Pleasant Ridge.

http://www.ijreview....empty-chair-ad/

• kelley likes this

#20 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Looks like the Institute For Justice is interested in this:

IN: Hands Off Pleasant Ridge, Mayor Hall

http://ij.org/in-han...ce=LIA-Local-Ac