No replies to this topic

#1 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Was sad to hear of the passing of Tony Gwynn. I was always a HUGE Tony Gwynn fan. He was a great ambassador for the game of baseball and was a class act. Spent his whole career (20 years) in San Diego during the "Free Agency / BIG $$ era", yet could have gone anywhere he wanted for MUCH more money. You never heard about the guy holding out for more money........no, he played for the love of the game. Don't get me wrong.......he was still paid crazy money to play a kids game. But in today's prima donna world of professional athletes, Tony Gwynn was a throwback who played the game the right way. Teammates, rival players, and sportswriters ALL held him in high-regards, stating he was a true gentleman!!

A few "Tony Gwynn" statistics that folks may not know: (1) Had a .338 CAREER batting average and the only player since 1940 to have a career batting average that high. (2) In a 20 year career, he ONLY struck out 434 times in 10,232 plate appearances!! (3) Gwynn was such a prolific hitter, and although he never batted .400 in a season, he had a stretch of 179 games (the major league season is 165 games) in which he batted .403 in 697 at bats, more than surpassing a "single season" of at bats.

Thanks for playing the game the right way, Tony. I enjoyed watching you and your sweet swing. Rest in peace. You'll be missed greatly by the game of baseball.

Rod Daily
  • ctownmom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users