• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

Traded 5 terrorists for 1 of our guys...

Huge mistake...

These were high level terrorists that we just put back on the battlefield... They will be trying to kill our guys again in short order.

#2 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

I thought the United States did not negotiate with terrorists ever?

• Quasar likes this

#3 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

This is a problem with having a "War on Terror" ™ It's one thing to declare "we don't negotiate with terrorists", but opposing sides in war negotiate with each other. It has been this way since the invention of warfare.

• cindiloohoo, kelley, Lady Phoenix and 2 others like this

#4 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm glad the American soldier is free. Glad for his family too. http://hotair.com/ar...th-the-taliban/

Edited by Pesty Version 2, 01 June 2014 - 11:21 AM.

• cindiloohoo and Donna like this

#5 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'm guessing our country utilizes some RFID technology these days!

#6 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

So....

Will he now be tried tor deserting his unit?

http://www.cbsnews.c...an-emails-show/

• Quasar likes this

#7 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Here is what I read from the article." The military has never detailed circumstances of his disappearance or capture, and he is not classified as a deserter. He was initially listed as "duty status unknown" and is now considered "missing-captured." He is the only U.S. prisoner of war from the Afghanistan conflict, and U.S. officials say they are actively trying to free him."

Do you read something different? 

• cindiloohoo and Donna like this

#8 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Do you read something different? 

Yes, but I posted one of the more forgiving links.

#9 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

http://en.wikipedia....n–Contra_affair

• Donna likes this

#10 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have no idea. Maybe the guy was a horrible traitor. Maybe he was a spy.  I guess I am glad they got him back.  Merely expressing doubts about the mission doesn't seem

Un-american.  Pat Tillman was disillusioned with the mission too is the impression I have.  

But, just to be sure...are those of you against this feel he should have remained a captive of the Taliban? (Our former allies). 

• Donna likes this

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

Pesty, I also wonder if that were their son, husband, loved one, would they not want the government to do all that was necessary to free him?  He might seem expendable to those who don't want ANY negotiations with "terrorists" but what about his loved ones? 

The US courts frequently release dangerous criminals on an unsuspecting populace.  Then, when that dangerous criminal harms a loved one we wonder what the heck the courts were thinking. 

#12 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

I do think it will increase the risk of further hostages taken since now there is the potential to get the US to negotiate.

And Donna, how will the US people feel if/when these terrorists do cause harm to Americans?  Preventable deaths.

We traded one American for the deaths of potentially more.  I'm not saying right now, but making the point that if now release they attack and kill 2 Americans - was it worth it?

#13 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

How will the US people feel if/when that US guy turns out to be the one who saves the life of the next winner of American idol from a bloodthirsty terrorist attack by crazed women hating islamic virgins?  They will look at Ted Cruz and shake their heads and say...".if you had your way we would have lost this American treasure".

As for the future....  I'd say they would have gotten the real message that the 'won't negotiate' policy has been fluid ever since Ronald Reagan traded arms to the Imans for hostages.  (Probably longer than that.)

The other part of this is that the only thing we know is what the news tells us.  Don't you suspect there is a lot more to the story that we aren't told? I do. Meanwhile I don't pretend to be

an expert on how to deal with 'terrorists'  (I assume it varies from group to group) but am glad this guy is getting the chance to come home. 

• Donna likes this

#14 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

I don't know Tina.  If that were your husband, brother, or child, would that same question occur to you?

#15 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

I'll willingly state that my faith makes me look at this life very different than the average person.  I do not fear death, nor do I automatically think anyone's life is worth more than another's.  I personally love my family more than anyone else, and that makes them worth more *to me*, but I'm also able to admit that others should not be willing to trade the life of their loved one for mine.

Personally *I* would feel horrible if because of my son getting to come home, one of the prisoners released in his place ends up being the mastermind behind another attack on American soil with catastrophic death tolls.

That said, I have to believe that our technology today is such that these prisoners have SOME way to be tracked.  I also believe they will probably end up being droned. So I am not as angry as your average conservative at this negotiation.

#16 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Bergdahl is not only a deserter, he is a traitor! Now the Traitor-In-Chief has released 5 dangerous terrorists to free this scumbag. All I can say is the incompetence and treason continues!
Here is Bergdahl's last e-mail to his parents before walking over to "the other side".
"The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."
His arse should be sent to Gitmo!

Edited by Oldgoat, 01 June 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#17 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

I would feel horrible over any catastrophic death tolls.  I will not relinquish my child to save the US on some purported, future attack.  This man wasn't dead, he was imprisoned by a hostile group.  Would you surrender your child, husband, brother, to endless years of potential torture for the "greater good?"

My answer is a resounding, "NO!"

Use today's technology to offset any future attacks, use negotiations to free those soldiers that have fallen into the hands of terrorist.  If those attacks occur, it will NOT be because my husband, child or loved one was freed previously through negotiations.  It will be the dismal failure of those who are entrusted to keep America safe.

#18 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

As Pesty pointed out, Pat Tillman also grappled with his disillusionment about the mission.  He died under "friendly fire" not that the government was willing to be forthcoming on THOSE details.  But, having been shot in the back multiple times, well the truth came out.

Oldgoat, how can you surmise that not only is he a traitor, deserter, and a scumbag because his "damning email" was his opinion of the lies, damnation of others, self-righteous arrogance and helping fools with wrong ideas by the Americans.  Hope he's not sent to Gitmo, too many of us on Chatter (ME!!!!) would also qualify.

• cindiloohoo likes this

#19 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Use today's technology to offset any future attacks, use negotiations to free those soldiers that have fallen into the hands of terrorist.  If those attacks occur, it will NOT be because my husband, child or loved one was freed previously through negotiations.  It will be the dismal failure of those who are entrusted to keep America safe.

On that we agree, and I think that's most likely what happened.

I do find it odd that the first negotiated hostage release is for a man who even has the possibility of being seen as a turncoat.  Ironic that for decades we did the "no negotiation" rule and then we finally release 5 for a man who has sent questionable emails.

Makes me wonder if he has "dirt" on someone high up.  :tongue:

Of course, I'm always the one that says when 2+2 don't add up, there's more to the story that we aren't hearing.

#20 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

I do find it odd that the first negotiated hostage release is for a man who even has the possibility of being seen as a turncoat.

While a Marine sits in a Mexican jail because he took a wrong turn.

http://www.cnn.com/2...arine-detained/

• Quasar, Beading Lady, Oldgoat and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users