40 replies to this topic

#21 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

no you missed the point the point of the example which is that if theatair x can violate the council ordinance repeatedly and the answer from the council is we don't think this is enforceable then how can they try to enforce a chicken ordinance that hurts no one

• motodaddy33 likes this

#22 motodaddy33

motodaddy33

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

This ordinance regarding chickens in Clarksville (91.01) reads  "It shall be unlawful to have or keep any goats, sheep swine or pigs, horses, mules, ponies, cattle, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, or other farm animal or fowl within 200 feet of any residence, other than the residence of the person so keeping or having these animals." Very convenient considering most neighborhoods do not have 200 feet from all neighbors. Also, in this provision, it considers chickens to be a farm animal. Why then, in Town Ordinance 91.20, does it consider the definition of chickens, cattle, calves, horses, mules, swine, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, poultry or other birds to be a "domestic animal"? You can't have it both ways. they are either farm animals or they are domestic animals. As long as any "animal" is cared for properly, whose place is it to tell me what i can keep in my yard? I do agree there needs to be certain restrictions to keep things from getting out of control, but to have a double standard and outright ban is ridiculous!

#23 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Amen to that I have never noticed that and plan on putting this in my proposal to have this changed thank you for pointing this out
  • kelley and Bigfoot like this

#24 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

You should include guineas.  A couple of guineas are a great intruder alert.  Crime would drop dramatically.  My covenants prohibit chickens in our neighborhood. Wish they didn't!  We wouldn't be picking ticks off all the time.

Edited by Oldgoat, 15 May 2014 - 11:01 AM.

• kelley, Bigfoot, jiyabird and 1 other like this

#25 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

Monday at 7 pm is the Clarksville town council meeting anyone who supports this change should attend we have over 100 signatures on our petition already and plan on trying to introduce a change in this ordinance

• kelley and Donna like this

#26 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Monday at 7 pm is the Clarksville town council meeting anyone who supports this change should attend we have over 100 signatures on our petition already and plan on trying to introduce a change in this ordinance

Wish I could stand and support you verbally but living in Jeff, afraid that is not a possibility.
I would call a tv station and ask them to cover it though, you might have better success plus I would call the Courier.

Best of luck to you.

#27 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

If I had some acreage not far from town I would plow it and rent out small sections so people could plant their own little gardens.
Different sizes available at reasonable rates.
I would have fenced in chicken yards and coups available for rent so they could raise chickens. Larger pens available for other livestock...goats, pigs, cows, horses.
The renters would have to maintain their little personal 'farms', sign a seasonal contract and have some sort of reference such as proof of local residency.
I would have it fenced and gated with an access code like a storage facility and monitored by cameras and motion detector lights and guard dogs for the coyotes.
I would, of course, live on the premises and make rounds at different times.
For a retired person this would be a nice extra income plus a sense of doing something for the community.
I said 'reasonable' rates. One couldn't expect to get rich off off something like this.
Maybe a higher rate at first to get the initial setup in place and then lower rates for subsequent years.
Just a thought.
Couldn't be too far out or wouldn't be worth it to the renters.
Don't know if would qualify for any kind of a grant or tax free status or not.
Any ideas?

Edited by jiyabird, 17 May 2014 - 02:33 PM.

• Bigfoot likes this

#28 Rose1974

Rose1974

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

http://m.newsandtrib...ntguid=bdbsFAut

#29 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Maybe it's just me...and apparently it is...but in light of all this town's problems I didn't think this one had legs (even chicken legs). With problems concerning fair voting, TIF Districts, bungled business opportunities, unfair property taxes, outrageous sewer bills, etc., my elected officials ignored the more pressing legal, taxing, and financial issues to consider...chickens...and I'm not even talking about the "finger lickin' good" kind!

I've been a youngster that cleaned out my grandfather's chicken coop on occasion and it was a task I don't care to repeat. However, I do admire when someone can capture support for an issue I consider trivial in light of others and push it to the forefront. Congrats to those involved.

#30 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:06 PM

Impressive activism.

#31 Rambler

Rambler

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

I vehemently disagree with allowing backyard hens. I have lived in my current home for 5 years, next to people who have owned chickens. We live in a beautiful neighborhood, with an HOA that does not allow livestock. People who say that chickens do not stink are simply not speaking the truth. A very large portion of my backyard has smelled horrible the entire time we have resided at our home. And the warmer it gets outside, the worse the smell is. Also, not everyone is responsible with their chickens. In my particular case, our neighbors actually threw a bag of chicken feces into our pool, endangering not only my child, but every other child that will swim in our pool this summer.

I completely support feeding your family in a healthy manner. But if you choose to raise that healthy "animal" to feed your family, please move to a farm, or another area where it is allowed.
  • JenS likes this

#32 motodaddy33

motodaddy33

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Yes there are many problems in Clarksville as with every other town or city in America. Times are tough everywhere which is why it is so important to fight for the things that are important to you and to find ways to improve the quality of life. It's not JUST about chickens. It's about teaching our children and grandchildren responsibility and providing for themselves. They need to understand where things come from besides just going to the store to buy eggs or vegetables or whatever. We have gotten lazy and have forgotten how to do and get for ourselves. Maybe if we all took our kids outside and spend some time teaching them how to care for an animal or raise their own chickens for eggs or grow a small garden or whatever, then they wouldn't be out stealing and vandalizing. Change what you can change one step at a time and others will eventually join in.

• kelley, lance9877 and Diogenes like this

#33 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

So where do the chickens stand now?

#34 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

So where do the chickens stand now?

Out in the barnyard.....

• kelley and JenS like this

#35 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

We are in the commitee process at the next meeting we hope to iron out a plan and move forward with this

#36 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Excellent point mottodaddy that is exactly why we need this changed

Edited by lance9877, 04 June 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#37 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

Clarksville already has a mechanism that would permit those who want chickens in their back yard, but don't currently qualify, to do so anyway.  A resident who cannot meet the requirements of the current ordinance can apply, through the building commissioners office, for a "use variance".  All ya gotta do is fill out the paperwork, complete the procedural steps, and go before the BZA.  I wonder why there is an effort to change the ordinance when there is already a way to work around it?

#38 Rose1974

Rose1974

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

The use ordinance is $110 when you apply, then you have to send out 5 certified letters to residents, put a sign in your front yard for a matter of time, post something regarding your request in 3 local newspapers, and go before the committee; none of this is guarantee that it will get approved.

#39 Duff

Duff

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

I am just curious if anything has ever come of this attempt to permit small urban coops in Clarksville? If not, and anyone is still attempting to, I would be interested in working with you to get it done. That given the fact that you have chicken in very large urban areas and all the surrounding cities and towns, Clarksville is way behind. (I assume as I haven't sen anything but the ordinance banning animals.)

#40 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

No they refused to do anything and wanted to make it to where you could not have chickens we pudhed the issue and it never went anywhere Clarksville is corrupt and I hope we get new representives who will actually listen to the people as we are always behind in the times and it is a shame that a state known for farming has no rules about vicious animals but oroviding for your family on your land the most basic of American rights is restricted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users